Flamebaiting

Options
WnbTank - Archosaur
WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Etherblade (West)
Could moderators leave even one thread open that even relately discusses about our server? Discussing server politics = locked, discussing actions of specific ppl = locked, few idiots posting on otherwise perfectly fine thread = locked, discussing about your own ban = locked. I really wonder what is the purpose of these subforums if not to discuss about our server? Right now we are not allowed, if we cross line and not say how we love everybody posting on thread.

Ps. I love everybody who posts on this thread, now, dont lock it QQ.
Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
Post edited by WnbTank - Archosaur on

Comments

• chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I speak for myself only, but I believe the rest of the moderators will agree - the forums have rules that we are supposed to keep people from violating. Of course, we can't control what people post, but we can maintain it which is what we do on a daily basis. Topics get locked if they purposely violate the rules after a warning, or if the posters have crossed the lines of abusing the rules.

I understand its frustrating, but you see, this is what we are here for. It would be a lot easier for everyone if everyone would post without going into violating but let's face it, it isn't going to happen and we understand it. Its just that when it goes out of hand, we step in - sadly, it happens more so than often.

Most of the forum regulars are aware of the rules and know what can and can't be posted, so let's try and keep topics relatively civil and violation free in the future and it'll better everyone.

Happy new year!
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I do understand forums got rules, where did I say anything to oppose that fact? What I am saying is that maybe you could try to relax a bit. Right now it feels like our forums are moderated by ppl who want to make themselves important by locking threads, the stereotypical grammar ****, you know what I mean. There is this one forum which was rather active, moderators were cool, they did let ppl play around the gray area, sure serious violations were punished. Then things changes, moderators changed mostly, threads started to get locked easily, nowdays those forums are pretty much dead.

You can really find violations in every post or at least most if you look for em, it`s all about drawing a line, which you should readjust. Right now these forums are just pointless, we cannot discuss about anything, threads get locked after every minor violation. Oh well, blame users, you are obviously doing perfect job, you can tell it from stictly positive feedback.
  • RioNHale - Archosaur
    RioNHale - Archosaur Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    This thread is irrelevant to anything I care about.

-Locked by RioNHale Jan 01 2011-
    ★Immunity is an Arch Server TW Faction. If you want to join Apply @ immunity.shivtr.com★ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Inactive 19 Sept 2011-
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Oh lulz, I found a spare key. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • BDoomed - Archosaur
    BDoomed - Archosaur Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i been here long enough and have done my share of gaming and trolling, would say this that the present lot of moderators do a good job in being active than the ones before but really need to brush on judging which threads to lock and which not, the drama politics is a part of the mistakes of this game, and QQ and whining on it will never stop, so let the people on here have some space while you can grab some popcorn and enjoy it too.b:victory
  • Zhadi - Archosaur
    Zhadi - Archosaur Posts: 695 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Whatever their reason for closing any one specific thread is theirs alone to make.
    If you say one thing, it can be interpreted in different forms by different people with different views. "Drawing a line", then, in this case, is impossible.

You give a dog a bone, and it tries to rip your arm off.
    That's what this thread seems like. It's a complaint about how we were allowed to break the rules before, but we aren't allowed to anymore. Instead of thanking them for letting us express ourselves and letting our frustration out on these forums, we are upset with them because they finally put their foot down.

It is understood that you have an opinion about the drama that is going on within the server. Many people do. Doesn't mean the whole world is entitled to it, therefore the moderators have to move aside as you infringe upon the rules to share said opinion.
  • Tamias - Archosaur
    Tamias - Archosaur Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ...er when the Mods first took up their job...no offense but wasn't Shelly supposed to be moding a different games forums as well? Or did I hear that wrong? >< I think it would be much easier just to mod one particular game because if you're not around a game or servers forums for that long, certain threads that could have been QQflamejoke threads could get locked when they were completely innocent. Of course after THAT THREAD in GD I can understand the uptightness because hey, who wants to look like their not doing their job? I still uphold that Grim is more "down to earth" due to some of his recent actions and posting around more but anyways I digress.

This is a new era where 5 APS is considered the next shiny best thing, where R9 is the new OP shizz niz (forget freaking Lunar in the dust) and this is the era of Mods policing more than they did back in 08-09. Alot of inflammatory threads just used to get insta-depthed-now they just chill here locked up ><
    Tamias-
    The Dealer at your service b:cute
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Whatever their reason for closing any one specific thread is theirs alone to make.
    If you say one thing, it can be interpreted in different forms by different people with different views. "Drawing a line", then, in this case, is impossible.

You give a dog a bone, and it tries to rip your arm off.
    That's what this thread seems like. It's a complaint about how we were allowed to break the rules before, but we aren't allowed to anymore. Instead of thanking them for letting us express ourselves and letting our frustration out on these forums, we are upset with them because they finally put their foot down.

It is understood that you have an opinion about the drama that is going on within the server. Many people do. Doesn't mean the whole world is entitled to it, therefore the moderators have to move aside as you infringe upon the rules to share said opinion.

You really got no idea what I ment. So to say, most of the posts discussing about anything may hurt someones feelings, which can be judged wrong by some rules. Cause really, I challenge you to discuss server politics in manner you cannot hurt anybodys feelings, it is pretty much impossible, which is my point exactly. They can go into carebear mode, lock everything or they can use their judgement which to lock and which not.

Your post, I could take it the way you say I`m inferior dog and it`s direct insult towards me. As insults are not allowed in forums, therefore your post would be against rules. I got feeling moderators are using that sort of judgement, let`s lock everything. Problem is, if they do draw line there, these forums serve no purpose as any sort of discussion is killed by locking perfectly fine threads. You can say "rules are rule", I say it`s like bible, gives directions on how to act, yet every situation should be judged separetly.

I dont say it would be impossible to follow rules to the letter, I`m only saying it would kill any purpose these subforums for servers got. Absolutely neutral discussions are just plain boring or can you honestly say you want to see posts which got no opinions or they are like politics, lot of text, nothing worth reading. That is my point, with current moderating, these subforums are just useless, any sort of discussion we are allowed to have is just not worth having.

Ps. I do understand that with the sort of judgement this post too would be against rules, I just cannot force myself to waste my time in order to write in completely neutral manner.
  • Anthemyra - Archosaur
    Anthemyra - Archosaur Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ok.. this is only my opinion.. but why not delete only certain posts in a threath that violates the rules and not close the entire thread ?

closeing the threat to be reserved for those 1 that violates rules from the begining or ppl that post on them dont take seriosly the warning...

by closeing a threath only becouse 1 or few of the gamers violate the rules is not fair for the others....
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just want to clear something - we don't lock topics just because we want to. We have certain guidelines that we have to follow - and yes, we remove offensive posts in topics and warn users on a daily basis b:surrender But when a topic continues in a direction that violates the rules and people use it as a platform to do it - a topic cannot remain open.

We do use our own judgment but we definitely have to abide certain rules of our own. I hope its understandable.

I do have to close this topic, for example, but so far I haven't because I feel its important to get feedback from the community. But for future reference, if you have any ideas that could improve the way we moderate, if you feel certain rules are unjust and unfair - send them to FrankieRaye as well. I guarantee you, he reads them and he definitely talks to us about the community concerns. b:victory
  • BDoomed - Archosaur
    edited January 2011
    Options
    If your thinking i say that you close topic at your own will then your mistaken, you do go by the guidelines, but what i am saying there are certain topics you close maintaining the guidelines, but then again certain you don't. Anyways doing a good job so carry on :)
  • Zhadi - Archosaur
    Zhadi - Archosaur Posts: 695 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You really got no idea what I ment. So to say, most of the posts discussing about anything may hurt someones feelings, which can be judged wrong by some rules. Cause really, I challenge you to discuss server politics in manner you cannot hurt anybodys feelings, it is pretty much impossible, which is my point exactly. They can go into carebear mode, lock everything or they can use their judgement which to lock and which not.

That is the reason they lock threads. I have seen that moderators just delete posts when it's only one or two people getting out of line, but when the WHOLE thread turns into something it should not be, they close it off.

Just the same way you say I have no idea what you are talking about, I will assume that it happens to moderators all the time as well. If you and I were both moderators, you would close threads that I would not, and I would close threads that you would not. Once again, it is a matter of opinion; that opinion should be respected, rather than judged or complained about, whether you agree with it or not, because they are actually doing their job.
    Your post, I could take it the way you say I`m inferior dog and it`s direct insult towards me. As insults are not allowed in forums, therefore your post would be against rules. I got feeling moderators are using that sort of judgement, let`s lock everything. Problem is, if they do draw line there, these forums serve no purpose as any sort of discussion is killed by locking perfectly fine threads. You can say "rules are rule", I say it`s like bible, gives directions on how to act, yet every situation should be judged separetly.

And that's why some threads, such as this, are judged separately. This thread should have been closed already, but Shelly isn't being narrow-minded and she's allowing it to see if she could get some feedback to improve the threads for the whole community.
    I dont say it would be impossible to follow rules to the letter, I`m only saying it would kill any purpose these subforums for servers got. Absolutely neutral discussions are just plain boring or can you honestly say you want to see posts which got no opinions or they are like politics, lot of text, nothing worth reading. That is my point, with current moderating, these subforums are just useless, any sort of discussion we are allowed to have is just not worth having.

You can still discuss server politics, they have been discussed many times before, and the threads keep going on for pages and pages until they die off themselves. Problem is, that lately, almost all the posts create such frustration and anger within the community, that moderators SHOULD step in. It's also the same thing over and over: recently, every single post has been about the fake bidding. The topic is outplayed, and the only people who are still trying to discuss it are the ones who are enraged by it. Let it go, the harm was done, the guilty will eventually be punished, it is time to move on.
  • RioNHale - Archosaur
    RioNHale - Archosaur Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Excuse me, I BELIEVE that I locked this thread already!

MY GM MOD PWRS? onoes! I been haxxed! b:shocked

they tawk our jewbs!!!!

/wrists
    ★Immunity is an Arch Server TW Faction. If you want to join Apply @ immunity.shivtr.com★ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Inactive 19 Sept 2011-
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I don't believe server politics being discussed is the issue as much as personal responses Ti the way it is discussed. I personally give at least one chance to every questionable thread I look at for the posters to turn it around themselves before I am forced to lock it. Once or twice I have even been told to lock a topic, but have decided to pick out inflammatory posts and just remove them instead.

Understand this...the last thing we, as moderators, want to see is a dead forum. Second to that, though, is a forum that is filled with all kinds of nastiness and spam. I believe, personally, that the latter is merely a step toward the dead forum that we don't want. Therefore, we find that which is "nastiness and spam", and we do our best to distinguish that which can or can't be saved.

All in all, as with any decision, it is a judgment call* (based, of course, on pre-set rules and guidelines given to the person). Any given group of people could have quite a few differing opinions about a decision, but the judgment of the person making the decision is what matters. However, the person can choose to look at the opinions of the people whom the decision affects, and factor those in accordingly. I believe that this is what we moderators attempt to do.*

Thank you, WnbTank, for expressing your concerns. b:thanks

*Some definitions for judgment call: 1. Merriam Webster; 2. Yourdictionary.com
  • BDoomed - Archosaur
    edited January 2011
    Options
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=945832&page=12 not locked - was edited and then let lose

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=958282

locked - no botheration to edit but closed directly

if you dont mind explain ?
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=945832&page=12 not locked - was edited and then let lose

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=958282

locked - no botheration to edit but closed directly

if you dont mind explain ?

Remember, mods are human, too. If you don't agree with how something was handled, or you see something that needs to be taken care of, please don't hesitate to send us a message about it, along with a link to the issue. The thread that was locked was actually brought to our attention by another forum member, and after reading through it, we realized that attempting to edit it would be time-consuming and fruitless.

Thanks for expressing your concerns, BDoomed. b:thanks
  • BDoomed - Archosaur
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Well thanks for that explanation, but i does prove that someone wanted that particular thread to be closed so you did wonder who might that be but thanks, i will be letting you know of any such issue in future though trolling is boring now a daysb:thanks
  • StudmuffinIX - Archosaur
    StudmuffinIX - Archosaur Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I wish there was a way to pm in the forums :(

StudmuffinIX: /BDoomed Lols nice one XD