I want to play pwi but...

ylanday69
ylanday69 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
the ui is so horrible that the game is literally unplayable. surely im not the only one that thinks this. admittedly i am abit of a ui junkie, i like a slick interface but the ui is how u control/interact with the game so essentially it is a major part of gameplay. about to try this game for the 4th time while waiting for an unnamed beta, i'll try to give it more than 5 minutes this time. is there a full interface addon replacement or anything?
Post edited by ylanday69 on

Comments

• Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Stop QQing. There's a some kind of UI upgrade coming in February.

Until then, just faceroll your keyboard, you'll do fine. o.O
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    the ui of pwi is pretty much the same as most mmos use. there are a few things peculiar to pwi, however nothing that causes the game to be unplayable by the majority of players. I have played a lot of games where the ui and controls are much worse. but if it isnt to your taste then move on. no point getting mad - its not like the game went out of its way to annoy you. you have a preconception that it doesnt meet.

the new version of the ui is just a reskin - no major enhancements - just a revamp to give it a different look for the update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I don't see what's wrong with Perfect World's UI. You can press K to change the buttons of things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Aside from the fact that chat is still so ugly it hurts, the UI is fine lol. The new UI coming with the expansion looks nice too... hopefully it won't be as disastrous as when the fonts were last changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Aside from the fact that chat is still so ugly it hurts, the UI is fine lol. The new UI coming with the expansion looks nice too... hopefully it won't be as disastrous as when the fonts were last changed.

Cmon Dysk, it's Christmas 102k- oh wait, wrong stupid thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Cmon Dysk, it's Christmas 102k- oh wait, wrong stupid thread.
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    The UI is somewhat buggy, yeah, but it's by no means horrible. It's better than most.

I remember installing the game over 2 years ago and going into a personal rage when I realized there was no invert Y-Axis option.

I was all ready to un-install it when suddenly a thought occurred to me. A young kid would have just gone ahead and played the game, but I was acting like an old fogey, going into a rage against change because things weren't the way I was used to them being and the newer generations of games were no longer accommodating my old-fashioned preferences.

So I decided I didn't want to be an over-the-hill complainer just yet, and went ahead and ended my ~10 year personal crusade about how Y-Axis should always be inverted. It took me about a week to completely switch over, and now I use non-inverted like the rest of the world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • ylanday69
    ylanday69 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    cool yas all make some valid points except 2.

c'mon this ui definitely isnt as good as most let alone better.

i can understand if ya like it or fine with it but thats that.

ive tossed mmo's for taste and features but this is the first time i cant play an mmo due to its horrible interface. sure my gaming history goes back no further than eq, but c'mon how far back do we have to go to compare with this game.

i played this for almost an hour today n i just couldnt go on.

im not qq'ing or raging or anything, in not mad im just trying to get an understanding with someone, i guess the ppl that share my opinion aren't here.
  • _Elixira_ - Heavens Tear
    _Elixira_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    im not qq'ing or raging or anything, in not mad im just trying to get an understanding with someone, i guess the ppl that share my opinion aren't here.

That's one opinion (that the UI renders PW unplayable) that won't generally be shared among most who post on this forum because:

1. Most of those who post here are active players

2. Said players have overcome whichever aspect(s) of the UI that would have rendered them incapable of playing the game.

Another poster put it well: you may want to just move on. After all, playing a game should not cause a person so much frustration as to defeat the usual purpose of gameplay. Another option would be, as you are giving the UI one more chance, forget every other game you have ever played. Forget every other UI that ever existed. Now learn to play PW.

I wish you the best, either way. :)
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Other than the font they ruined, I think the UI is fine.

But I'm glad you find the game unplayable, for whatever reason it may be.
  • Siiobhan - Archosaur
    Siiobhan - Archosaur Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Strange. I personally find the UI here to be very user friendly. The ability to move by simply clicking on the map is awesome. The fact that your toon automatically moves into attack range again is awesome. I tried to play DeeeAndDeee online and even though the quest lines and other features were sweet, the many hurdles to overcome in playability sent me right back here. To date this is one a very few games I have seen where you actually have the option of using different ways to do things:

1. Use WASD to move - or - point and click.
    2. Use hotkeys to activate attacks and skills - or - click them withthe mouse.
    3. Use keyboard commands for other functions (such as summoning pet) - or - again - simply point and click.

I'll definitely be waiting until some other game has these options before even trying it.

The ONE thing I think they need to revamp desperately though is the autopath feature. When on the ground, it should be intelligent and avoid obstacles like it does in some of the other games PW publishes (i.e.) Jade Dynasty.
  • _Elixira_ - Heavens Tear
    _Elixira_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    The ONE thing I think they need to revamp desperately though is the autopath feature. When on the ground, it should be intelligent and avoid obstacles like it does in some of the other games PW publishes (i.e.) Jade Dynasty.

Yes, this would be quite nice, imo.
  • Kyna - Lost City
    Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    You are aware that you can rearrange parts of the UI yourself right? like putting skills in the number keys spots instead of the f keys... and moving around the whole tool bar.

And you guys thought I QQ when I ask a valid question. sheesh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
    LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
    ... and a few losers....
  • Mad__Skillz - Raging Tide
    Mad__Skillz - Raging Tide Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Click to move is EPIC FAIL apart from that i dont have any issues with the UI.
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    What exactly is it that makes it unplayable? I find it quite easy to understand and to play with. This is the first game that I can actually use ALL of the hot keys on without having to stop and use my mouse when I am in a battle situation.
    @ Kyna: OFF TOPIC: I, personally, QQ'd about the other things you complained about not your actual question. IJS but a lot of people did the same thing. If you had just asked the simple question instead of bulking it down under a mountain of whining about how unfair it was that they want you to buy a bunch dye and what not to get *decent* colors, I don't think it would have had the backlash that it did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Personally the UI is only unplayable if your screen resolution is 800x600 or smaller.

and it is MUCH less intrusive than some of the other games PWE has released, and in fact many other MMO's that I have played.

I deeply hope that the redesign doesn't make it look stupid and huge like the UI in JD or, god forbid, Ether Saga
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I have yet to see the new UI coming out. Can you give me some SS's or link me to where you saw it at? ^^ Oh and yeah PWI's UI looks like most games, only difference is the amount of settings and things you can change about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    ylanday69 wrote: »

ive tossed mmo's for taste and features but this is the first time i cant play an mmo due to its horrible interface. sure my gaming history goes back no further than eq, but c'mon how far back do we have to go to compare with this game.
    I'm not really sure where you're coming from. What exactly do you mean when you say the interface is horrible? It's ugly? It's buggy? It doesn't make sense?

Most other MMOs I've tried have interfaces that are much slicker looking than PWI and are less glitchy. For example, usually in PWI you can bring up information screens by either pressing hot-keys or clicking on icons, yet for some unknown reason when certain other screens are active the hot-keys won't work but the icons still do. That kind of glitch is typical of something PWI suffers from but most other MMOs do not.

However, whenever I've show PWI to other people they sit down and start playing, ignore all the "Help" screens, and within minutes they're happily playing the game, running around, killing things, completing quests, managing inventory, etc...

By contrast, with most other MMOs they'll end up running around in circles trying to figure out how to move/look, and get beat up by a level 1 mob while struggling to figure out all the various rules about how to attack.

In other words, PWI's UI may be glitchy, but it seems to work better than most at interfacing the average user to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    sheesh OP, there's alot of reasons to not play the game, the UI is not one of them.

If that's the only thing that bugs you then you should either leave the game, or get used to it.

And you wont find many people that sympathize with you, mostly because: this is the PWI forums, used by people who play(ed) the game. People that play the game wouldnt have issues with the UI or they wouldnt be playing...
  • KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear
    KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    ylanday69 wrote: »
    cool yas all make some valid points except 2.

i played this for almost an hour today n i just couldnt go on.

hit alt +h and sthu