What stuff is REALLY broken now?

Options
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
The game isn't dead. However, parts of it are now broken.

When I say "broken", what I mean is that parts of the game serve virtually no purpose anymore. You can still do them, but doing so will actually be counter-productive.

For example, turning in a ☆☆Giant Crossbow to the Weapons Collector gives 4 Rep, which was a decent return back when Rep cost about ~4k each. However, the item NPCs for 8,680 which can now buy you a Wraith Officer Badge and get you 25 Rep. Thus, the Weapon/Armour/Ornament Collection quests are a broken part of the game that serve no useful purpose anymore.

So which parts of the game are broken?

(Yeah, yeah, go ahead and post, "All of them" if you want, get it out of your system. And you Pollyanna types can also go ahead and post, "None of them" if you want, along with a couple of paragraphs about how nothing has changed.)

Some of my theories are as follows, but I'm genuinely interested to have other player input because I'm sure I'm overlooking stuff:

- TT99/100 Weapons -> Broken.
(Reasoning: No reason not to use the much better Rank 8 weapons.)

- Lunar Weapons -> Mostly broken.
(Reasoning: Only really useful for levels 95-99. I expect prices to plummet, but they will still retain some usefulness.)
EDIT: Deicides are the exception. They still retain their worth due to -interval.

- FCC Weapons -> Not broken.
(Reasoning: Lots of people will want to Hyper to 100 as fast as they can, and an FCC weapon in FCC runs will let them do this quicker.)

- Nirvana Weapons -> Somewhat broken.
(Reasoning: Classes who have great Rank 8 weapons will just use those, while others may want to try for Nirvana. Those who do try won't be trying too hard, though, since Rank 9 will probably be a better option for them.)

- TT/FCC/Lunar Armour -> Mostly not broken.
(Reasoning: Some pieces will have much cheaper Legendary alternatives due to cheap chips, while others will be rendered pointless by cheap Rank items. Most will retain their usefulness.)

- Buying/Earning Stuff That's Expensive/Hard to Get -> Mostly broken.
(Reasoning: 90%-off sales can happen at any moment, thus it makes more sense to not invest too heavily. By going cheap/easy, you can maintain a steady supply of decent items and always be able to afford the next cheap/easy thing when PWI releases it.)

- The Entire Rep System -> Broken.
(Reasoning: A huge number of quests and awards were focused upon gaining Rep, which served as a kind of parallel currency. All of those awards are now essentially worthless, since more Rep is now gained by a selling a single DQ drop.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
Post edited by WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide
    TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide Posts: 1,946 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    PvP , or call it pvp with R9 in the game :

The weapon's dmg combined with that attack lvl is too high for the armors to keep up even if you got r9 yourself . DMG is just too high & defenses & def lvl just can't keep up . Overall , there are now gonna be many more 1 shots and shorter fights than ever with less thinking & more facerolling .
    It's all about LoL,yo.
  • ZeverEdge - Lost City
    ZeverEdge - Lost City Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    PvP , or call it pvp with R9 in the game :

The weapon's dmg combined with that attack lvl is too high for the armors to keep up even if you got r9 yourself . DMG is just too high & defenses & def lvl just can't keep up . Overall , there are now gonna be many more 1 shots and shorter fights than ever with less thinking & more facerolling .
    This man speaks the truthb:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Haters: So...is the game dead yet?b:question

PWI Community: Pretty much, West Arch is still the laggiest place.

PWI Economy: Agreed, and there is still active gold tradingb:surrender

Hooray for death of PWI!!!b:kissb:victory
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Public Quest 2 - Wasn't a particularly good source of rep to begin with was made less attractive with DQ Points system (availability of Rep badges means you can grind and earn rep at the same time) and even less so with this current sale.

Tiger Badge Quest - Did anyone even really do it to begin with once they found out how much it cost and the potential "rewards"? To be

Dragon Quest - With advent of BHs, hyper stones etc, rewards have not kept up with the progress of the game. I continue to do it due to a personal goal I have (☆Secret of the Dark Spirit) though with advent of this rep sale and the potential rank 8 ring (☆☆General's Badge) I question whether to continue with that.

Just some of the things that spring to mind that are broken or obsolete now with the current state of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tsubakey - Heavens Tear
    Tsubakey - Heavens Tear Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    psys. dont know how many of u have seen a highly upgraded rank 9 psy, but its a sight to behold.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    TT99/100 and Lunar weapons aren't really broke for BM's since Deicide and Striking Dragon still have -0.10. And to be honest, deicide (60m) almost completely set the price for lunar insignia's by itself, all the other weapons never really sold above 40-50m.

Call To Duty is kinda broke. For the time often required, fb rewards aren't worth it whatsoever. Even grinding is a faster and more rewarding method to gain the tiny amount of exp/rep.
  • CaffeineEvil - Harshlands
    CaffeineEvil - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    In an answer to the title: Devs and management team aren't broke. They'll probably get bonuses for showing a good profit on their fourth quarter sales report.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The game isn't dead. However, parts of it are now broken.

When I say "broken", what I mean is that parts of the game serve virtually no purpose anymore. You can still do them, but doing so will actually be counter-productive.

For example, turning in a ☆☆Giant Crossbow to the Weapons Collector gives 4 Rep, which was a decent return back when Rep cost about ~4k each. However, the item NPCs for 8,680 which can now buy you a Wraith Officer Badge and get you 25 Rep. Thus, the Weapon/Armour/Ornament Collection quests are a broken part of the game that serve no useful purpose anymore.

So which parts of the game are broken?

(Yeah, yeah, go ahead and post, "All of them" if you want, get it out of your system. And you Pollyanna types can also go ahead and post, "None of them" if you want, along with a couple of paragraphs about how nothing has changed.)

Some of my theories are as follows, but I'm genuinely interested to have other player input because I'm sure I'm overlooking stuff:

- TT99/100 Weapons -> Broken.
    (Reasoning: No reason not to use the much better Rank 8 weapons.)

- Lunar Weapons -> Mostly broken.
    (Reasoning: Only really useful for levels 95-99. I expect prices to plummet, but they will still retain some usefulness.)

- FCC Weapons -> Not broken.
    (Reasoning: Lots of people will want to Hyper to 100 as fast as they can, and an FCC weapon in FCC runs will let them do this quicker.)

- Nirvana Weapons -> Somewhat broken.
    (Reasoning: Classes who have great Rank 8 weapons will just use those, while others may want to try for Nirvana. Those who do try won't be trying too hard, though, since Rank 9 will probably be a better option for them.)

(Reasoning: Some pieces will have much cheaper Legendary alternatives due to cheap chips, while others will be rendered pointless by cheap Rank items. Most will retain their usefulness.)

(Reasoning: 90%-off sales can happen at any moment, thus it makes more sense to not invest too heavily. By going cheap/easy, you can maintain a steady supply of decent items and always be able to afford the next cheap/easy thing when PWI releases it.)

- The Entire Rep System -> Broken.
    (Reasoning: A huge number of quests and awards were focused upon gaining Rep, which served as a kind of parallel currency. All of those awards are now essentially worthless, since more Rep is now gained by a selling a single DQ drop.)
    The only lunar weapons that were rendered obsolete (that were highly used in the first place) with Rank 9 were the Neon Purgatory and Heaven Shatterer.

I have trouble, however, not laughing at seeing Rank 8 venos with the pataka. It sucks.

I guess for some reason a player on HT figured Deicides were going to plummet in price and jumped on the NP/HS bandwagon and sold me a pair for 40m +5. I also bought my wife another pair for 60m. Good job fellas. (they normally go 80-95m on HT before the rank sale, and are not plummeting in price)
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    @WarrenWolfy

thats why ppl say pw killed the game (again b:faint)

your own conclusion:

farming good stuff is pillar of mmo: u cant compete if u dont have good stuff. u wont have good stuff, because u are afraid they will make it worthless in one night
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The game isn't dead.

Stopped reading here.
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^I lol'd.
    b:dirty
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What stuff is REALLY broken now?

"Broken", in this game, generally refers to something that is vastly overpowered and severely alters or destroys game balance.

Rank 8 for 72 gold is broken. Sin stealth is broken. 5aps is broken.

Most of the things you mention have become "obsolete" or "worthless" or *insert another word*.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Anri_Rose - Archosaur
    Anri_Rose - Archosaur Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This thread is win but i would like to say one thing
    Its not a broken item just cus there are better things to get
    Just cus a wpn is easier and better dont make it broke just **** :P
    Where have all the mages gone. Long time casting.
    Who altered my siggy im
    kinda scared b:shocked
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    TT99/100 and Lunar weapons aren't really broke for BM's since Deicide and Striking Dragon still have -0.10. And to be honest, deicide (60m) almost completely set the price for lunar insignia's by itself, all the other weapons never really sold above 40-50m.
    Good point. I forgot about Deicides.
    "Broken", in this game, generally refers to something that is vastly overpowered and severely alters or destroys game balance.

Rank 8 for 72 gold is broken. Sin stealth is broken. 5aps is broken.

Most of the things you mention have become "obsolete" or "worthless" or *insert another word*.
    True, but it's hard to have much of a discussion about that because people generally don't understand the repercussions until it's too late. So yeah, my question really is what item/features of the game have now been rendered obsolete.

Take 5 APS for example. When people first started doing it a few people started speaking out that it was broken/OP, but few listened. It wasn't until 5 APS farmers started dominating all the markets and others started to find that their previously respectable characters were unwanted second rate fails that the truly broken aspect of 5 APS was revealed.

And yes, in case anybody is wondering, my reasons for asking are because I want to know which way the markets are going to shift. I find PWI is still a fun market simulator, even if it's just had a Pearl Harbour moment.
    Its not a broken item just cus there are better things to get
    Just cus a wpn is easier and better dont make it broke just **** :P
    The question, though, is whether or not something does what it is supposed to do anymore. The game has always had some broken aspects (for example, that other quest where you turn in 50 Hay, not the one to expand your Pet Bag, was never worth doing under any circumstances) that people did anyway, and knowing which parts of the game aren't worth bothering with is useful for people who are trying to be competitive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    93 barb talking, he knows what hes talking about... not. b:shocked

Get to 100 and get shocked when you see what you need to buy to get 5 aps to be able to go into nirvana :D then come and tell us.
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
    edited December 2010
    Options
    he is right, he just didnt write what are all consequences of changes.

for example:

this is true
    but it also means that farming 3-3 will be pointless now, because of chip sale. also demand for -int 99/lunar (and nirvana) gear will be lower - it is easier to get perm spark with rank gear now.

you can also predict that ppl will choose rank top over 90 green, so again it will hit (3-1) farmers.

you could throw many more examples for sure.

(not to mention how changes affected pvp balance..)

he just tried to estimate 'real' worth of gear after changes. not damage that last update did to game market
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hey Yamiino, WarrenWolfy is a smart guy and one to be taken seriously, you can check out literally any post/thread he's made if you don't believe me. For example, when he complains about a broken/dysfunctional economy, it actually means something, it's not just mindless complaining.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    As far as market shifts, it should be nearly impossible soon to sell Gold TT mats for much more than their chip fee. This will decrease 3-3 / 3-2 mat prices by some 15-20%.

I don't think Uncanny prices for nirvana armor will fall much because people still need those for nirv pants which is the main source of demand. Still 4 out of 8 classes have -int / -chan on R9 pants so there will be some shift away from that.

Rapture prices should fall as I don't think any casters will want g13 / g15 nirv weapons over R8. You'll probably still see people go for g13 claws/tt dagger and maybe g13 lunar bow. You won't see people go much for g15 nirv because they aren't the best weapons available any more and R9 is pretty affordable.

Something else I notice though is that dice tickets in the cube are still vastly overpriced at the moment. Cat shops are trying to sell them for 3k still even though you can make thousands at about 200 coin each. I doubt any more people will be running cube though because no matter how dirt cheap it actually is people still think it is hard and expensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If Asterelle's **** were ever maxed, she would be TOTALLY broken. She would cause 10s stuns/seals/HF from just looking at you.

Stun from standing in place staring, seal from jizzing uncontrollably, and Heaven's Flame curse from having your weak spots exposed so damage inflicted against you is amplified.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    93 barb talking, he knows what hes talking about... not. b:shocked

Get to 100 and get shocked when you see what you need to buy to get 5 aps to be able to go into nirvana :D then come and tell us.

you sir are an idiot.

since you BB'ed in 50 more FF's than warren has run, he must not know anything about the game or the market. GG

warren is the preeminent student of the pwi market. im sure he well aware of how much it costs to get 5.0, -74% chan, +80 attack, full rank 9, and anything else you can think of. having a 3 digit level does not mean you have a 3 digit IQ.

read anything he's written on the forums, he knows what hes talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hai Wolfy!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i exaggerated that farming some gear will be pointles,s but update will reduce demand and prices much.

imo, 99 gold was still pricey mostly cuz of -int...

also, not many people will go for nv bow if they can get r8.. and i dont think that nv claws alone, will be enough to keep raps high

if you want to try estamine players 'wealth', then you cant forget about gold prices. with (again) nerfed farming, it will be harder to get coins to buy (more costly) gold.

to judge how broken is game after changes, you gotta look at few more aspects, than just which item become obsolete..

+ when this all calm down, expect new qq wave from casters about aps, since it will be easier for dex players to get int..