Sharding question.

Thinkalot - Dreamweaver
Thinkalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 133 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Assassin
Here's the deal :

- Sins are supposed to go up close & personal with mobs right ?

- Most mobs you encounter at higher lvl (with a few exceptions) are Physical Atk.

So, why does a sin run around with his gear sharded with citrines, when his Pdef, compared to mine is LOW.

Atm at lvl 80 i have unbuffed 3.5K HP, 3.2K Pdef.

I hear several peeps say they need HP, but in an instance like BH69 i can at least survive well,
while i can solo run a BH51 at ease without the need for a cleric.

I get a LOT of aggro on bosses, even with a lvl 91 Tank with us, did my BH79 recently and got several times aggrod by Brigand/Linus. They didn't even scratch me decently.

So what's the deal now ? Does higher HP give any extra benefits ? I recon high HP serves no
purpose when you're low on Pdef and get 1-shotted by bosses, or am i missing something ???
Post edited by Thinkalot - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Verbicide - Dreamweaver
    Verbicide - Dreamweaver Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I honestly haven't looked into which chard would be more beneficial to survivability. I usually put Amber shards into my armor because at my Level it doesn't so much matter for one, and two, I like the color of the glow >.<. But I would assume that Pdef shards don't give the edge like extra HP, however even in instances I rarely loose more than half my HP. I would assume, however that at higher levels I would do more damage which would make me gain more HP from Bloodpaint then I do now, so survivability just becomes easier and easier. Especially when you start getting -interval armors. But again I wouldn't know which shards are more beneficial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kindrid; \\x//; 9x Seeker
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Because when you shard full garnet and boss channels a magic attack, you get one shoted anyways?
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    The logic behind sharding citrines and not garnets is simple:
    Citrines give protection against all kinds of attacks, regardless of whether they are magic or physical
    Garnets only give protection against physical attack, meaning they are useless for anything that has magic attacks

Most bosses have at least one magic attack any way and in PvP there's wizards, psychics, venomancers and clerics. Not to mention that Archers are most likely to use metal attacks when you get close to them.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • SneakyKas - Sanctuary
    SneakyKas - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Socket - Citrines

Physical ornaments

Problem solved.
    kaste - BM 90 / SneakyKas - 49
    PsychicKas - 20 / FurryKas - 17
    HealingKas - 14 / KasTheSeeker - 11
    MysticalKas - 5 / CritKas - 1
    NukeKas - 1 / VenomousKas - 1
    God damn recording makes my leveling slow.
  • LeiMai - Raging Tide
    LeiMai - Raging Tide Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Are you hybrid or pure?

At level 86 I have 3 base vit, 4.1k hp and 2.6k pdef unbuffed. I shard and gear for HP and survivability.

Okeano has it totally right. I like it when a magic bosses' AOE doesn't make my charm tick, because some of them get nasty. HP is more versatile than pdef, don't you think? I used to have some garnet shards in things, my old cape had 4 flawless garnets in it. But now everything is citrines.
  • Thinkalot - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2010
    Well, after carefully considering it all, i decided to go with citrines from now on.

Purified some of my stuff, and added citrines. It does make a difference in HP, and my Pdef still is good.

One more question though : i have a Unicorn bow http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/14893 that i use when i grind mobs for Dq items and against bosses. (in Sq oc).

So far this has worked out fine, but i'm wondering if it's worth to get this bow :

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/14894

I use my bow fairly often (yes yes i know, i'm not an archer) cause i don't like 'chasing' mobs, and they go down pretty fast , no mp use and a bit more hp pots.. And it's perfect for bossfights since i am less likely to take aggro and die fast.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Well, after carefully considering it all, i decided to go with citrines from now on.

Purified some of my stuff, and added citrines. It does make a difference in HP, and my Pdef still is good.

One more question though : i have a Unicorn bow http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/14893 that i use when i grind mobs for Dq items and against bosses. (in Sq oc).

So far this has worked out fine, but i'm wondering if it's worth to get this bow :

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/14894

I use my bow fairly often (yes yes i know, i'm not an archer) cause i don't like 'chasing' mobs, and they go down pretty fast , no mp use and a bit more hp pots.. And it's perfect for bossfights since i am less likely to take aggro and die fast.

Crimson Horn: Soulsmasher is really, really expensive. And you cannot resell it.

Most people would just get a Vast Land, as it's cheaper. Though, I've not seen any Vast Lands around recently.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    edited November 2010
    Well, depends on what you call expensive :

2 golden spirit at 2Mill each = 4 mill
    10 fengs iron bars = 1.5 Mill
    20 Klunky = free from farming tt
    18 Ult subs at 35K each = 630K
    and my souledge:Unicorn which i already had

Total price = 6.13 Mill. It came with 2 sockets when i made it :)

It's non resellable because its bound, but so far that's the only drawback i see.
    It probably will be the last bow i'll ever use, so adding Perfect garnets looks
    like a good idea. It's not that i'm planning to be an archer on my sin; but i like
    to use it for the purposes that i need it for.

A bow comes in quite handy in cartain situations, so i migh just use one of the best
    bows i can get my hands on, and at 6.13 mill with 2 sockets, i think its a bargain.

Fyi : the exact same bow was for sale in AH for over 12 mill. With immacs.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Crimson Horn: Soulsmasher is really, really expensive. And you cannot resell it.

Most people would just get a Vast Land, as it's cheaper. Though, I've not seen any Vast Lands around recently.

Thought it was funny you called it really, really expensive when I was gonna call it "the cheaper option." If I remember right its better than Broad Land Bow unless Broad Land has high refines on it. Broad Land costing you 1k Pasts of FCC or ~ 15 mil for the Sign of Force.

The reason I called it cheaper is alot of high levels use one of these until they can afford their Lunar bow (~60 mil). Downside, Lunar and FCC bows are both resellable but more expensive to get. Crimson Horn is not.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited December 2010
    Thought it was funny you called it really, really expensive when I was gonna call it "the cheaper option." If I remember right its better than Broad Land Bow unless Broad Land has high refines on it. Broad Land costing you 1k Pasts of FCC or ~ 15 mil for the Sign of Force.

Well, Crimson Horn: Soulsmasher sure is more expensive than Vast Land. You can get a Vast Land for like 1m, Crimson Horn costs at least 4m.

And Broad Land is hardly a wise choice, due to the proc reducing phys def.
    The reason I called it cheaper is alot of high levels use one of these until they can afford their Lunar bow (~60 mil). Downside, Lunar and FCC bows are both resellable but more expensive to get. Crimson Horn is not.

Lunar bow on a Sin? Ok, that's a bit extreme.
    edited December 2010
    Lol, who would use a lunar bow on a sin ?

The whole point of a sin using a bow is simple :

- you can use it in squads on bossfights

- you can use it on pesky critters that always run away (think archer/ranged mobs)

- you only use a bit more hp pots since bloodpaint don't work AND it does not consume mp since you have no arching skills

- you are a bit lazy and don't want to run around or you try to avoid mobs spawning on top of you

For those puposes alone i'm using the Soulsmasher. Anyone willing to get a lunar for a SIN should carefully reconsider and make an archer.

I just switch to bow when i'm tired of comboing or running around. With a bow things get real simple : Tab - normal attack - pickup , rince & repeat. Don't really need a Lunar for that, lol.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    to solo sins need good pdef which is hard until you refine ornaments high using a few garnet shards it not a bad idea since bp heals a fairly static amount you just need to take less damage to be able to solo

occasional magic nuke from boss? lol theres mdef charms for that apoth 8 is easy to get or to find someone with it
    lunar bow great for purging bosses like steelation