DD pet for grinding? (high lvls)

Viva - Heavens Tear18
Viva - Heavens Tear18 Posts: 3 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Venomancer
Hello. My main is a lvl97 Veno with Herc and I grind with my Herc because I'm a fail Veno. :P He can keep aggro well, extremely rarely have to heal him and I kill everything with Ironwood - Venomous - Lucky combo. Some people told me to get a good DD pet for grinding. But I don't know... My Herc's damage is around 2.2k + reflect damage. What's better than that? Nix maybe but I don't want to get one because I NEVER PVP. Scorpion or Wanderer with DD skills but in the other hand, they are squishy, I have to heal them after 1-2 mob/s so it actually takes more time to grind with a non-Herc pet because of the healing. Isn't it just faster to grind with Herc and heal after every 50 mobs? lol... Is getting a DD pet really worth it? =/ BTW I grind DQ items for Dragon Points.
Post edited by Viva - Heavens Tear18 on

Comments

• Amurora - Heavens Tear
    Amurora - Heavens Tear Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Honestly, I use my tank to grind too. The Nix is good I believe (from what I've heard). I've talked with other people about this and I've heard many leading toward wanderer or hellduke (found at tideborn areas with the glacial walkers, i personally like their looks better apposed to DW, but thats just me)

I personally won't get a DD pet because of how much I have to heal them to keep up with whats going on. The thing is that if you have to constantly heal your pet, then youre not doing damage to the enemy and your magic is stronger than your pet attack (with me anyway it's that way) so personal opinion, I'd keep with the tank to take the damage then use your magic to aid it.

But, I'm also only 57 so I have no idea later on. I've just been asking around roughly the same question and through the responces and me fighting a friend who had Wanderer with my Glacial Walker, they were close, but my GW lived with more hp over the DW at the same level. That for me made up my mind. I don't see whats wrong with grinding with a tank.

Sorry if this isn't the answer youre looking for
    Good luck ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    The nix was annoying for me to grind with, mostly cuz it kept fricken getting stuck in the ground. I really wanted to use it when I was farming spirits on phantom of grudges in uni forest but was forced to fight in the air cuz it got stuck way too often, and still got stuck fairly often from the air as well. Only way to combat that is the nix attack buff on the herc instead of bash.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    any air pet can get stuck in terrain when you use it on the ground; it makes grinding ground mobs with air pets annoying. there's a trick to it, to do with watching the terrain and positioning yourself so there are no rises or bumps between your pet and the target mob, so it can fly in a straight line. even that isn't always foolproof, but helps.

if your air pet gets stuck too far from the mob, usually it'll try and fail to channel its default skill over and over. one way to fix this is "inverse" pulling; walk up yourself and throw a toxic scarab at the mob, then run back keeping your pet between it and you --- you doing the pulling for your pet to catch, in other words.

grinding regular, open map mobs of about your own level with a DD pet isn't that hard. just make sure you've got a good DD skill as default; the dark wanderer, for instance, needs to have bash put on it and selected. otherwise the fight lasts too long and the pet takes too much damage. properly skilled, though, your DD pet shouldn't need healing more than (at most) after each killed mob during such grinding, often less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Unfortunately it's inevitable that an air pet get stuck in the ground numerous times, especially if you can't help but fight mobs where there's any change in terrain height. It cuts away from the efficiency of a grind, especially when in a rhythm. All this other stuff was tried -- grinded for quite a while on my veno -- but it's far too annoying for me to do, whereas the herc doesn't get stuck in the ground. Just need to make it attack for more damage so the mobs die somewhat faster like for the nix, especially in chronoworld maps where the grinding is good.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    There are only relatively few pets available which actually do outdamage a herc, whose damage output can be counted amongst the game's top ten. A herc with up to level Bash is really not that far off from other options, and Reflect is a factor that really does help close the gap from what i know. Now, unless you're trying to compete with Clawed multi-elemental Scorps and Wanderers the dps output should certainly do for grinding, not to mention the advantage of having the most ressilient of all pets and the only one that can effectively handle large crowds of mobs for AoE grinding.

The herc is also relatively fast, so unless size is an issue i can think of no god reason to substitute this pet.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    * EPIC DD PETs *

for less then 40m <.<

XD Tame a Scopie Or Sawfly (cuz they have smaxy patk)

* Learn it those skills_
    Claw - 10m
    Pdef buff - 15m or less
    Mdeff - same as pdef!
    Bleed - 300k o.o -* its hold good agro w the pet have good patk*

Scopie at lvl 100 :

Hp -2799
    Pdef - 6628 , w buff he may get 15k+ well w 6k def = 15k w buffs XD
    mdef -7953
    Patk 4008 = w claw 5008

Sawfly at 100:

HP - 2529
    pdef - 6588 - almot same as scope just less mdef
    mdef - 6588
    patk = 3966 w claw 4966
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL