How do you make you avatar look like you?

Elliiya - Harshlands
Elliiya - Harshlands Posts: 15 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
I'v tried everything....
Give me some pointers
eyes.jpgFace-1.png
Post edited by Elliiya - Harshlands on

Comments

• Flickerfae - Sanctuary
    Flickerfae - Sanctuary Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I can't give pointers specific to this because I haven't tried with any of mine (although my Psychic--in my signature pic--is probably the closest in proportions...) but I do know something about drawing and sculpture.

For example, I can pick out that your avy's eyes are too far apart, the face too triangular (forehead too wide, chin too pointed), and the mouth too small. The PWI customization options are pretty versatile, so all these things sould be doable. Slightly thicker eyebrows and spot-on lip shape may be more difficult... so don't worry about those.

When working from a reference pic, one technique I know to really help you see the proportions is to divide the pic up into squares... the smaller, the better. Then, in the case of your avy... try dividing up the screen the same way. It won't be exact, since it's a 3d model, and the character editor does have some magnification... but it will help you see the overall stuff, like the head shape differences.

Another technique is tracing. Trace your self portrait onto tracing paper, then tape it over your character's face (on the pc screen) while zooming in to comparable size. In a different colored pencil or pen, mark the differences (ignoring stuff like hair shape and clerical feather tufts. You're still early enough (hopefully) that you can edit your character's appearance at will, so take advantage of the ability to bounce back and forth between the editor and the game. Changes need not be big each time.

More advanced techniques would include breaking down your own facial structure like drawing a line where your eyes, nose, and mouth are on the head (your eyes look too low on your avy), but that may be too difficult without some background in drawing or drafting.

Good luck. Even if you can't make it look exactly like you, at least you'll have an avy that you can be proud to have put a little care into the appearance of. You'd be surprised how many people use defaults or near defaults, and that's just boring. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Ignoring my main for alts since early '09
  • _Garra_ - Harshlands
    _Garra_ - Harshlands Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    arnt u a cutie xD
  • _Garra_ - Harshlands
    _Garra_ - Harshlands Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    If ur looking for a faction pm me ingame :) ill invite u in lol