80-89 Barbs dont know how to aoe aggro mobs and stay alive???

Options
2»

Comments

• Loltank - Harshlands
    Loltank - Harshlands Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm gonna noob it up and ask for advice on how to hold the aggro better in FCs

I've run a couple from 73-80, but generally the DDs in the 8x ranges just don't kill mobs very fast, meaning I have to exhaust my aoe aggro options fairly fast.

Once I re-discovered frighten, things shaped up a bit, but the DDs still occasionally will pull aggro.

So I'm thinking Invoke before BB -> Bestial Rage -> Roar -> Sunder -> Surf Impact -> Frighten -> Alpha male if necessary -> Frighten?

I have to hold aggro for a ridiculously long time most of the time, sometimes up to 2 and 3 minutes :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well all i Know is I, am not a fail barb I have had 100s run with me shocked at how good i hold agro from them. The only real time they pull agro is from the dragons because i just can't hit aoe that fast....i am still working up a strategy for that but practice makes perfect however. And as far as Venos are concern'd , I dont trust hercs to keep agro from those bms and archers who just bring the pain so i tank no matter what all those who run with me are never pi.ssed off at the barb. And the maker of this thread can tell you i am damn good at my job. Coupled with my wife demon cleric a run can last anywhere from 45-1 hr depending on the squad. However, I love running with a bm...more bms i have the better off i am because my skills(i am demon mind you) can hit anywhere from 25k-55k and thats no bull normal attacks go from 10k-20k. So i love HF when its done right. As far as Bms pullin and tanking Fcc....Its possible and IF Joshcja CAN do it...then all the more power to you guys i have no trouble letting you guys go....However if theres a 90+ Psy or wizzy who has great gear and knows what they are doing....then i have cause for worry because bms just DON"T have the agro skills to hold off. Because i have seen 90+ wizzys hit for 120k or better and i still manage to keep agro off them. So while you Bms may be able to do it, a barb is always the better puller/tanker just facts sorry.b:shutup

if your wizzie is hitting 120 non crit then the hell do you need aggro skills for? mobs are dead before stun wears off
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Loltank - Harshlands
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Who said anything about non-crit? lol

As a 9x wizzie myself, I can confirm that with average-to-decent gear 120k is possible with a heaven's flame non-crit ulti, or a heaven's flame triple spark gush crit. Not possible under normal circumstances, unless someone has crazy gears.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Who said anything about non-crit? lol

As a 9x wizzie myself, I can confirm that with average-to-decent gear 120k is possible with a heaven's flame non-crit ulti, or a heaven's flame triple spark gush crit. Not possible under normal circumstances, unless someone has crazy gears.

yup (in game wife is a 93 wizzie) and she hits about 90-100k per blade tempest in FCC on my HF

now theres 5 DD's in your squad each doing about 100k in AOE damage every 6 seconds per mob under HF on average

so again mobs will die before stun ends if they are inside the aoe thus aggro does not matter on pulls

as for aggro on bosses its sin/bm/barb with high int,ranged DD with crazy refined weapon,low int bm/barb/sin,bashed herc,barb,low refine DD

since i assumed (+3)-(+5) and (-.1)-(-.2) int we can take out the high refined range DD's or high int toons so its either a bm/sin or a herc tanking bosses anyways

not sayign babs are useless, they are the best at pulling and tanking multiple targets+ a set of nice buffs, however i AM saying that its possible to do just as well if not better on a bm since the instance is easy as hell
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options

I've run a couple from 73-80, but generally the DDs in the 8x ranges just don't kill mobs very fast, meaning I have to exhaust my aoe aggro options fairly fast.

Once I re-discovered frighten, things shaped up a bit, but the DDs still occasionally will pull aggro.

So I'm thinking Invoke before BB -> Bestial Rage -> Roar -> Sunder -> Surf Impact -> Frighten -> Alpha male if necessary -> Frighten?

I have to hold aggro for a ridiculously long time most of the time, sometimes up to 2 and 3 minutes :\

Unfortunately you don't have the wonderful excess of 3 sparks...but I'll still suggest this...

If you are pulling mobs, stop right after you grab all mobs...(solid shield or ToP at this time) Bestial Rage, Sunder, Frighten , surf impact, >>>run to BB>>> when you see HF >> Roar, Surf Impact>>Alpha Male if your genie has cooled down by this time Sunder should be close to it's cooldown and Chi should be full 2sparks+...so Sunder again if you can.

When I pull the big room I can usually Sunder twice before I get to BB...then it's time for me to alpha male and roar to reset aggro which buys the DD's a little time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    not sayign babs are useless, they are the best at pulling and tanking multiple targets+ a set of nice buffs, however i AM saying that its possible to do just as well if not better on a bm since the instance is easy as hell

Barbs are a tanking class. They are best suited at grabbing mobs, and holding them, and doing moderate damage while they do.

BM's are a DD class. They are best suited to doing damage, and keeping the mobs stunned while they and others beat the **** out of them.

Yes, BM's *can* do some of the jobs that a barb can.

As long as there are still barbs on the server, why must you continue to prove you can be a better barb than a barb?

RedMenace
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    As long as there are still barbs on the server, why must you continue to prove you can be a better barb than a barb?

RedMenace

By the time you get a good barb to join your squad (good enough that you know he's not going to fail every second pull) you'd probably be at the third boss already. Sometimes getting a barb is easy but I'm in a faction that has 195+ members and usually it takes more than 30 mins to get a barb to join. Even when WCing about it.

Plus we've had our share of annoying barbs (all classes have more annoying players than good players, not just barbs) whom we like to prove wrong. As well as other BMs.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Barbs are a tanking class. They are best suited at grabbing mobs, and holding them, and doing moderate damage while they do.

BM's are a DD class. They are best suited to doing damage, and keeping the mobs stunned while they and others beat the **** out of them.

Yes, BM's *can* do some of the jobs that a barb can.

RedMenace

because barbs on sanc are rare and rarely goodb:surrender

i have meet 2 good barbs in my time in this server 2 of whom have now quit due to real life issues and the other rerolled sin so have had to figure out how to play the game w/o them

why do you get so bothered by the idea that yes...bm's can tank these thing?

it comes down to hp+ damage redux vs self healing from damage... the barb is safer the bm is faster (my runs normally take about 45 mins less with epic DD longer with **** DD) the end result here is the same
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Soooooooo I'm not a good barb Josh? *is hurt by the statement*
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Soooooooo I'm not a good barb Josh? *is hurt by the statement*

o.o the hell have you been >.> *throws a barbanet* (srsly track me down in game i hate pulling fcc b:cry)
  • Themax - Heavens Tear
    Themax - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Barbs aren't needed in FC.

My fastest FC runs were done without barbs.
    Inactive on HT

Rerolled on HL
  • Opresor - Sanctuary
    Opresor - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My first FCC run was at lvl 79, a group of 90's ran me through for a training run. I was totally clueless to what skills in what order to use to maintain the best possible agro. I looked high and low for a guide and found nothing, nothing at all. I have only used hyper stones twice because I don't want to blast through my levels and be 100 with lvl 40 skills.

Seems like most people would rather insult others in a desperate attempt to elevate themselves than actually offer good advice. Most people play these games for fun, and part of that process is learning, being insulted isn't fun, being called out in group chat isn't fun and when it's the result of other group members dropping the ball and the barb taking the heat, it's even less fun.

FCC is a group effort, BM's that don't stun F a group, DD's that nuke/shoot/stab too heavy too early F the group, any class that does not AE and attacks a single target will pull agro and F themselves, but blame the tank or cleric. No one ever looks at themselves and thinks what they could do to make the group more efficient, it's so much easier to continue sucking and blaming others.

FCC is typically an 85+ zone for one main reason, as a barb you can only hold agro on 20 mobs for so long, like 5-8 seconds before DD damage outweighs your sunder, roar, frighten, surf impact etc... and mobs start peeling off. This is where the group as a whole being skilled comes into play, stuns, nukes, everyone pulling together as a team to kill as fast as possible because after about 8 seconds, it's every man for himself. (flame on to enlarge your little teeny bopper epeens now) but it is what it is.

Bestial rage, Invoke, Roar, Frighten, Sunder, Surf Impact, and Alpha Male if needed because the DD in your group fully sucks and can't kill fast enough.

Best advice for a barb is don't even bother until at least 80, if you can wait till 85 even better, and be prepared for haters who think they know it all. If they tell you how to play in group chat rest assured they have limited xp and are trying to appear knowledgeable to the group, if they tell you what to do in PM take it with a grain of salt and an open mind and try it, if they ask you in PM to offer advice take it, these are usually the most skilled players. Ask other barbs in your faction how they maintained agro when they were your level. Under 90 groups kill slow, occasional DDers die, it is how it is. You just can't hold AE agro forever.

That's my take on FCC after 10 levels of mostly non hyper runs, advice from higher level faction barbs and just plain old trial and error. Barbs repair bills go up as DD goes down, keep that in mind. Be ready for hyper n00bs to insist that you pull now! Because waiting for cool down timers on roar and invoke just wastes hyper time and it's ticking! In the end every time your group fails it will be the fault of the barb. There is 0 personal responsibility, accountability or integrity in 95% of the PWI player base. Clear out your really old black listed people, you're gonna want as much room as possible now.
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ive done some mroe fc since i last posted in this tread (on the first page) and my best and by far the fastest sqaud where with a herc veno tanking. i was really only needed for the polearm debuff boss and pulling mobs. and wow having a herc tank the phoenix is alot less annoying... no stupid chi drain while your trying to spam ream XD. and that i dont even NEEd to ream cuase im not tanking
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Opresor - Sanctuary
    Opresor - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And the reduced repair costs are another bonus to having a herc tank. I certainly wouldn't ever discriminate and not take a non-herc veno but it is a bonus.
  • Loltank - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I've worked out my aggro holding issues. Turns out, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought once I remembered I had sunder.

invoke -> rage -> roar -> sunder -> frighten -> alpha male or sunder, depending on cooldowns atm.

Since I've discovered this, I've not had a single issue with aggro in FC.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ragnar_Angel - Sanctuary
    Ragnar_Angel - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    mm2000 wrote: »

No way... at 100 lvl there's a barb like this???? b:chuckle

But yes, I know a cleric that is 101 lvl and still can loose a barb on Polearm, because at the end she thinks there's no need of taking down debuffs and can start attacing her self.

Lvling up fast when that's you first char is not a good idea.

I'm not saying I'm a good barb. Lot to learn here to.
    Just got my sage and now I want to start with FCC's.

Most of you says that there's always a bad response when some one starts teaching. I always listen if I get a good advice. To bad it's practically not possible to get in squad with a tank already, so I could just see how it's done.

Youtube is good but to flurry and hard to see what skills have been used by barb.

That's why I'm trying to get in my friend list every good adviser or a tank I've met so I can always ask something if I need. Not just go around like I'm a barb so that instantly makes me a good tank.

Point is... don't give up on us. Sure some one will say "wtf?!" but there are always ppl who will say "sorry, I'll try again, thanks for telling, I'm a noob!"
  • Ragnar_Angel - Sanctuary
    Ragnar_Angel - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I've worked out my aggro holding issues. Turns out, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought once I remembered I had sunder.

invoke -> rage -> roar -> sunder -> frighten -> alpha male or sunder, depending on cooldowns atm.

Since I've discovered this, I've not had a single issue with aggro in FC.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

Thanks will try out that to.b:victory