Just curious about player base

X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
How many people would you say play PWI? Bar the multi-logged alts/kitty shops.
Post edited by X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• ValFera - Heavens Tear
    ValFera - Heavens Tear Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    about 100 original chars the rest are all alts. b:laugh
    Leader - Hikari LVL3 PVE Faction {Heavens Tear}

Hikari is the Light.
    RESPECT is part of the Light so when you show others respect you show them the light.
    TRUTH is part of the Light, so if you find deception put light on it for all to see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    50m according to their promo video.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Many people throw around a 100k figure for population although i would find this to be very unlikely. The industry standard is a max capacity of around 10k players per server and there's no reason to believe PW doesn't conform to that. This would mean no more than 70k players in our version of the game. Of course servers are not at full capacity, so you've got to try and make a count of sorts. I'm in Sanctuary, which is likely to be the 3rd most populated server, being the 3rd oldest. I would estimate my sever to be at less than half its full capacity based on the highest activity levels i've seen on it during the more active seasons. This would make 4,000 an optimistic but reasonable figure although my guess would be something a bit lower than that number. If we extrapolated that as an average figure you would get 28,000 regular players, so something in between 20,000 and 30,000 players would be my educated guess offhand.
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Many people throw around a 100k figure for population although i would find this to be very unlikely. The industry standard is a max capacity of around 10k players per server and there's no reason to believe PW doesn't conform to that. This would mean no more than 70k players in our version of the game. Of course servers are not at full capacity, so you've got to try and make a count of sorts. I'm in Sanctuary, which is likely to be the 3rd most populated server, being the 3rd oldest. I would estimate my sever to be at less than half its full capacity based on the highest activity levels i've seen on it during the more active seasons. This would make 4,000 an optimistic but reasonable figure although my guess would be something a bit lower than that number. If we extrapolated that as an average figure you would get 28,000 regular players, so something in between 20,000 and 30,000 players would be my educated guess offhand.

No that is 10k online at one time, the server can easily support many more players and characters stored on the server, it is easily possible to have 20k or more players for one server, and its entirely possible they don't conform to that and support way higher then that, you don't actually know...
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    There is no way to tell really..

If you go by standing in west arch, that alone can be decieving. I mean I guess you could say, for every one person you target in west arch there could very well be 6 in an instance somewhere.. Or in another town.

Best way to get an questimate would be visit every server, PM every faction you see, and ask them how many people they have in their roster. Then deduct a chunk of that for alts, and quiters.
  • ScarletOwl - Raging Tide
    ScarletOwl - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    So do none of you go to the Facebook PWI page? Unless you think there are currently 105,730 people who Like the page and I would assume that most of them are people that actually play the game. It is a better number to go by then just guessing.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    No that is 10k online at one time, the server can easily support many more players and characters stored on the server, it is easily possible to have 20k or more players for one server, and its entirely possible they don't conform to that and support way higher then that, you don't actually know...

20k player accounts on one server is not a practical number for commonly used hardware if you even expect half of those accounts will be logged simultaneously. And i've never seen a queue or any other indication that a server is full. Unlike some other games there is no reason to supose that PW's servers would require a unique architecture, and given the relatively small number of servers on this version, the fact the game has been widely licensed in other countries and the abundance of private servers i do think i'm justified in using the industry standard as a base for an educated guess. Furthermore, i estimated as full capacity periods of high activity, which is not necessarily true. Chances are that my estimate is rather generous not that i have underestimated the population numbers. Registered players is not an actual population figure, especially for f2ps. It is very likely there are thousands of registered users who never played the game more than a few times, and i would bet even there's a few thousanded who failed to download or install the client after creating an account.

And ScarletOwl you don't really know much about either gaming or PWI if you think even half of those accounts are legitimate.
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    20k player accounts on one server is not a practical number for commonly used hardware if you even expect half of those accounts will be logged simultaneously. And i've never seen a queue or any other indication that a server is full. Unlike some other games there is no reason to supose that PW's servers would require a unique architecture, and given the relatively small number of servers on this version, the fact the game has been widely licensed in other countries and the abundance of private servers i do think i'm justified in using the industry standard as a base for an educated guess. Furthermore, i estimated as full capacity periods of high activity, which is not necessarily true. Chances are that my estimate is rather generous not that i have underestimated the population numbers. Registered players is not an actual population figure, especially for f2ps. It is very likely there are thousands of registered users who never played the game more than a few times, and i would bet even there's a few thousanded who failed to download or install the client after creating an account.

And ScarletOwl you don't really know much about either gaming or PWI if you think even half of those accounts are legitimate.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If you actually logically think about it 20k players but never all on at once does make sense, as I highly doubt they have the server running all in one actual "server" It is probably more then likely split across many servers to actually create a "server" for the game, if any of you have xfire it can sorta prove it as the IP Address for a specific "server" is not always the same so there is load balancing that does occur and the way the server is built anyway it is meant to be able to handle massive amounts of load and split it across multiple actual servers and not forcing one machine to do it all which is very rare in the world of servers.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If you actually logically think about it 20k players but never all on at once does make sense, as I highly doubt they have the server running all in one actual "server" It is probably more then likely split across many servers to actually create a "server" for the game, if any of you have xfire it can sorta prove it as the IP Address for a specific "server" is not always the same so there is load balancing that does occur and the way the server is built anyway it is meant to be able to handle massive amounts of load and split it across multiple actual servers and not forcing one machine to do it all which is very rare in the world of servers.

Look, there may be a lot more accounts registered that there is capacity for in some servers, but more than likely more than half of those will NEVER actually log in. And the escalabilty you're refering to is not yet available in all games. Remember it comes down to one set of CPUs running the whole thing no matter how many peripherals you think can be plugged in. Why would MMOs divide population if what you are suggesting is technically feasible and cost effective? Those games which do have all of their players in one "server" (such as the p2p+RMT leet sandbox spaceship game) do employ unique architecture. Ideally having all players on the same server would be a competitive market advantage. Most MMOs divide population because of technical and financial reasons.

And anyway, what is YOUR estimate? 20k per server=140k players? Seriously?
  • Klizzahrd - Lost City
    Klizzahrd - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I'd agree with the 10k-20k, tho I'd be floored if Lost City actually had 20k. At least on my server it seems the vast majority are alts or catshop chars.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    If we extrapolated that as an average figure you would get 28,000 regular players, so something in between 20,000 and 30,000 players would be my educated guess offhand.

An educated guess would have some basis with known facts. You have none. This is all conjecture BS.

The number of Facebook fans is hardly a number you can base anything from, except for one thing, how many Facebook fans there are.

Made up statistics are made up.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Look, there may be a lot more accounts registered that there is capacity for in some servers, but more than likely more than half of those will NEVER actually log in. And the escalabilty you're refering to is not yet available in all games. Remember it comes down to one set of CPUs running the whole thing no matter how many peripherals you think can be plugged in. Why would MMOs divide population if what you are suggesting is technically feasible and cost effective? Those games which do have all of their players in one "server" (such as the p2p+RMT leet sandbox spaceship game) do employ unique architecture. Ideally having all players on the same server would be a competitive market advantage. Most MMOs divide population because of technical and financial reasons.

And anyway, what is YOUR estimate? 20k per server=140k players? Seriously?

And what exactly is wrong with that guess, and I said thats how the server works as I was a GM on a private server for a while and I was in charge of maintaining the infrastructure it ran on but thats another story b:bye

And like Michael said, you really are basing your figures on what other people do, not what they do here at PWE, after all

38% of statistics are made up on the spot