Server Time

PiscNinja - Sanctuary
PiscNinja - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
so server time is GMT-8
GMT time is currently 21:15 (1 hour behind me because of daylight savings despite the fact that I live in the london time zone)

GMT-8 is therefore 13:15
The forum says its about 13:15
this website says GMT-8 is 13:15 http://www.csgnetwork.com/timezncvt.html

but my faction is telling me its 14:15
I'm pretty sure I'm right and the internet is agreeing with me.
... ... ... ...
so whats goin on here then?

is it ACTUALLY GMT-8 (13:15) or GMT-7(14:15)
Post edited by PiscNinja - Sanctuary on

Comments

• MoldySkies - Sanctuary
    MoldySkies - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It's GMT-8 usually, but during DST it can be -7 depending on whether where you are observes DST or not.
  • PiscNinja - Sanctuary
    PiscNinja - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    sorry but how does that make any sense?
    GMT is its own time zone, so GMT-8 is the same everywhere, where I observe it is irrelevant - since GMT is GMT wherever you look at it.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    No, of course it doesn't make sense and you're right, Greenwhich mean time is independent of local daytime savings adjustments.

Now, i'm not sure wether server time does actually conform to GMT. I live in a region in which the time zone we use would be what is known in the US as Central Standard so all i usually do is add a couple of hours to figure out Pacific and the time for events and such. I don't remember Daytime Savings getting in the way but we do have our own equivalent program in my country.

Of course the failproof way of figuring this out is to look for the time stamp of your posts here in forums as the web site's clock is kept at the same time as the West Coast servers, i'm sure there was a clock somewhere in the site but i can't remember where...

Edit; my mistake, time shown on this post is 3 hours ahead of me, not two, so apparently they do keep GMT.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The problem is that the servers aren't set to a specific GMT/UTC -X number, they're set to local time, which depends on Daylight Saving Time.

East Coast servers: Harshlands, Dreamweaver, and Raging Tide
    West Coast servers: Lost City, Heaven's Tear, Sanctuary, and Archosaur

The East Coast servers are on Eastern time (EST or EDT, UTC -5 or -4, respectively) and the West Coast servers are on Pacific time (PST or PDT, UTC -8 or -7).

Currently we're in Daylight Saving Time, so it will be EDT and PDT.

For more information on the servers, see the Servers entry in the PWI wiki.

In short: your faction is right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • hiroyume
    hiroyume Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    oh, I see
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for clearing that up Doc. b:thanks

And thank you PW for the mount. b:cute
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    No problem.

For some odd reason, the PWI game servers follow Daylight Saving Time, but the forum time does not.

Also, maintenance times are given in Pacific Time (PST or PDT), so that will be GMT/UTC -8 or -7, respectively (currently UTC -7).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    sorry but how does that make any sense?
    GMT is its own time zone, so GMT-8 is the same everywhere, where I observe it is irrelevant - since GMT is GMT wherever you look at it.

No GMT is actually not its own time zone. The timezone most associated with it is BST (British STandard time). The thing about GMT is it does NOT adjust for daylights savings. BST does. So british time = GMT during standard time, but is GMT+1 during daylights savings. GMT is merely a time marker, where 12 hours before it / 12 hours after it in time zones (other side of the world) is the international dateline.

So PDT (pacific daylight time) is GMT-7, and PST (pacific standard time) is GMT-8. The server is on PDT now, or GMT-7.