edited September 2010 in Barbarian
Hi
i have tiger i lvl 83

but i want be good tank
about "Points"
because when i us Vit i dont get much HP
and i thing i need Str not much Vit
"i talk without armor
so tel how Statistics points ? how much i need Vit and how much i need Str?!!

and i need info about how i be good tang
thank you b:thanks
Post edited by za3600 on

Comments

• Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    my gear and build at your level: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=594f080b206763ff

that is in tiger form with full buffs (your own ones maxed for level)

but to be a very good tank you must learn how to use your skills. I hope that by level 83 you have figured them out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Dsholder - Dreamweaver
    Dsholder - Dreamweaver Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I start the day by eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes to get some of Tony the Tiger in me, they're greaaaaat. Also while playing a barbarian you will have a slow aerogear at the beginning of the game, so I suggest doing crunches or push ups when you auto-path to your quests. As for points go, look into the future weapons that you'll be using and just get enough strength and dexterity to use them. Being a tank doesn't mean you have to be handicap, you can still use the higher up axes. Some may tell you it's best to stop at Pan Gu's axes which require only 252 strength so that you can pump the rest into vitality, but I disagree. I use some Dragon's Vibrancy dual hammers which require 297 strength and I can tank pretty fine through many many things, with exceptions of the new TW bosses. I'd recommend you go to 287 base strength and just use a +10 strength tome for when you do become higher because when you fight mobs at a higher level you'll want a weapon that does decent damage.
    [SIGPIC]http://a.imageshack.us/img714/9433/testoz.jpg[/SIGPIC]

If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke.
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I start the day by eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes to get some of Tony the Tiger in me, they're greaaaaat.

b:chuckle b:laugh

Thanks for the tip. Fuzzy going to run to the grocery store and buy a box.

As for OP...

To be a good tank does not just mean HP. Fuzzy sees the generic "str and dex for weapon rest to vit" advice all over the place, and while it is not bad advice, it is not the only way to go. It seems to Fuzzy that somewhere around 14-15k hp is more or less all that is required to tank 95% of what PWI offers. Some world boss's and perhaps the reworked TT 3-x's might need a bit more but that is all. Remember, a good squad makes a tank even better, so if you have any good cleric with you, having an insane HP pool could be, in Fuzzy's opinion, a waste of stats that might be spend elsewhere. (An obvious exception to this is if a barb is pulling a cata for TW, but me hopes they not asking for stat allocation advice if that the case.)

Don't ignore what is required for next weapon and armour set as you grow, but Fuzzy suggest stopping to think about what you miss if you simply put all available points into vit. There is more than one way to build a good barb, all it requires is a little thought.

b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cybetron - Raging Tide
    Cybetron - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Here's the summary:
    I start the day by eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes to get some of Tony the Tiger in me, they're greaaaaat.

Frosted Flakes FTW b:dirty

There is more than one way to build a good barb, all it requires is a little thought.

b:thanks

+1000 There you go barb brother, you have found your answers b:victory
  • caprizj
    caprizj Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I start the day by eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes to get some of Tony the Tiger in me, they're greaaaaat. Also while playing a barbarian you will have a slow aerogear at the beginning of the game, so I suggest doing crunches or push ups when you auto-path to your quests. As for points go, look into the future weapons that you'll be using and just get enough strength and dexterity to use them. Being a tank doesn't mean you have to be handicap, you can still use the higher up axes. Some may tell you it's best to stop at Pan Gu's axes which require only 252 strength so that you can pump the rest into vitality, but I disagree. I use some Dragon's Vibrancy dual hammers which require 297 strength and I can tank pretty fine through many many things, with exceptions of the new TW bosses. I'd recommend you go to 287 base strength and just use a +10 strength tome for when you do become higher because when you fight mobs at a higher level you'll want a weapon that does decent damage.

it is true it is true. every pushup you do will increase your strength by 1. b:shutupb:shockedb:surrender
  • caprizj
    caprizj Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    ops sorry i think i posted wrong thing under wrong topic :(

anw, just follow the str of the eq and cap ur dex at 50-60 and the rest pump into vitality..
    as for tanking, bite (flesh ream) often , cancalling spell using alacrity if you can..

and guys wanna ask this,
    do spark + flesh ream generate more aggro, as in alot more, compared to just flesh ream alone?
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    caprizj wrote: »

and guys wanna ask this,
    do spark + flesh ream generate more aggro, as in alot more, compared to just flesh ream alone?
    as far as i know it would make no difference at all if u spark.

although i still have no idea exactly what flesh ream does to aggro.

i know it draws aggro on to you and generates alot. but as far and #'s go idk
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    as far as i know it would make no difference at all if u spark.

although i still have no idea exactly what flesh ream does to aggro.

i know it draws aggro on to you and generates alot. but as far and #'s go idk

Its hard to say precisely without extensive testing or cracking the game coding to see whats inside. however lets suffice it to say that using Flesh Ream will generate X amount of aggro for your character, and the damage you do yourself adds to this base amount of aggro. Therefore using up to level weapons increases your aggro holding ability, being demon increases your aggro holding ability, sparking increases your aggro holding ability (if you can even manage to build sparks), poison fang helps, bramble guard helps, etc etc.

At the same time, your damage dealers are generating their own aggro amounts based on pure damage alone. At a certain point when the damage dealers start dishing out enough damage, they breach your aggro threshold set by ream + damage.

Constant reaming is needed to hold aggro against damage dealers that are doing their jobs/are higher level than you. I've tested personally whether it was possible to ream up front to gain aggro and then to simply use devour only to "increase threat level". I was able to hold aggro for a time, but eventually lost aggro. This test was performed with a squad I ran with frequently and I would normally use a process of: alacrity -> ream -> surf -> ream -> normals -> alacrity -> ream -> surf -> frighten -> devour

NB: eventually some damage dealers that love to perma demon spark will keep aggro off you even with you constantly spamming flesh ream - I've had a demon 'sin do this to me before when I was a younger barb. Therefore, the part of the skill description that says "drawing their aggression onto you" isn't 100% accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • _Leif - Lost City
    _Leif - Lost City Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    So wait, do higher levels of flesh ream give you more direct aggro? Or just add to the DoT?
  • Taleon - Heavens Tear
    Taleon - Heavens Tear Posts: 392 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I may get corrected here, but oh well.

The aggro snap of flesh ream remains the same reguardless of level, the amount of DoT dmg done by flesh ream does change with levels.

Have seen first hand Barbs do testing on this ( and I took part with my Barb )

lvl 101 Sage Barb Flesh Reams with his sage flesh ream snaps aggro.

lvl 20 Barb ( mine at the time ) hits mob with lvl 3 flesh ream and takes aggro

Aggro did not return to the lvl 101 Barb from his DoT portion of flesh ream. Repeated test a few times, change who flesh reamed first, and how close one flesh ream was to the other.

Was a simple test done a while back, so like I said, I very well might be corrected
  • _Leif - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    I'm rerolling a barb now with level 1 flesh ream to see if it can tank as well as my level 10 flesh ream barb. It'd be a lifesaver on the mana if level 1 flesh ream holds aggro as well as level 10
  • Blood_Panda - Raging Tide
    Blood_Panda - Raging Tide Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    flesh ream snatch aggro if you reaction is good you might be able to ping pong the boss by timing your flesh ream whenever you lose aggro..

but i think it will give your DD and cleric heart attacks.

So why not get lvl 10 flesh ream and let your bleed be more worth it.

I have seen DD having a hard time pulling aggro off me when i am not tanking and accidentally press flesh ream.b:chuckleb:chuckleb:chuckle
    Build Aiming for : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=99d12b053ed06fe9
    Retired : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a798089d5502e95b
    17k hp since level 92.. now @ 13k Hp on 100
  • _Leif - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    The actual DoT is pretty insignificant. I can out-DD that with only a few swings. If it's level 1 it becomes more spammable (mana-wise), and should still retain the aggro that the skill itself generates
  • Saint_Attila - Heavens Tear
    Saint_Attila - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Even if level 1 holds aggro as well as level 1, I don't really see a lot of barbs leaving it at level 1.

The bleed, while low, is what helps Ream hold a little more aggro and every little bit helps.
  • Cybetron - Raging Tide
    Cybetron - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Our Ream is completely different from DD-based aggro. Our FR is NOT based on DoT. The aggro that our Ream generates opposes only that generated by constant damage dealing; it DOES NOT oppose another Ream from any level barb or any other Aggro resetting skill.

If the Ream is level 1, it takes 3 hits from a similar lvled BM to steal aggro; if FR's level 3 it takes many more. So leveling FR is the MOST IMPORTANT THING for a barb. If you don't level it then you rather let others tank the instance and completely dispose of your duties as a tank.

This has been discussed many a time in the forums. With data and evidence.

FR Aggro =/= DD Aggro
  • neodaedalus
    neodaedalus Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    oooooo