Something most people don't notice.

SovereignVis - Sanctuary
SovereignVis - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
I have asked this question to many people in the game and many different guilds, for over a year now. And most people don't notice this and even fewer know why it was made this way. So here is the question.

Why does both the sun and the moon in PW rise and set in the south?

So far I have only known one other person beside me to figure out why it was made this way. Now I want to see if people on other servers know about this and why they made it this way. Can you see it? b:sin

>Weird Sun Set< b:question
Post edited by SovereignVis - Sanctuary on

Comments

• MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Many people know about this and i've even heard theories about it ranging from Feng Shui to having the sun move from East to West being "difficult" or "expensive" to code... If you do know why please just tell us plainly.
  • Atomik - Raging Tide
    Atomik - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Many people know about this and i've even heard theories about it ranging from Feng Shui to having the sun move from East to West being "difficult" or "expensive" to code... If you do know why please just tell us plainly.

Ditto that!
    98% of the people would die if someone from Twilight said that breathing isn't cool.
    Copy and paste this if you're part of the 2% that would laugh.
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I'd say it's because of the shadows.
    Player's shadows would have to be even more dynamic and every object would have to get its own dynamic shadow.b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • XXInvictusXx - Heavens Tear
    XXInvictusXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    'cause the lighting for everything on the map looks prettier with the sun/moon shining from those areas?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heaven's Tear - 8x Venomancer - Logging in just to poke around b:surrender
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Because the game is dead.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Am I the only one that never noticed?

I just do not pay attn to it I guess b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • wingedfire
    wingedfire Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    b:laugh I noticed that a long time ago. I've wondered about it, but didn't bother coming up with a reason why it sets in the south.

b:beg Tell us what you have figured out.
    ★Heaven's Tear Psychic★
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Am I the only one that never noticed?

I just do not pay attn to it I guess b:surrender

Most players wouldn't, i was told. There are however a sufficient number of wannabe rangers out there that like looking into stuff like that. It's actually a trivial matter since it doesn't affect game mechanics, and i would consider it on the same level as people who are upset by mobs not attacking players on their line of sight or role players that get annoyed by fashion not matching the setting...

Developers probably felt at some point it would simply be easier to have the sun just be in one direction (no real reason for this, as the game's lightning system is detailed enough it should have been relatively simple to have the sun move across the sky) and likely settled on using South as being an "auspicious" direction in traditional Chinese Feng shui systems. Now, of course, this is my own theory... For all i know there might actually be an important reason concerning the game's storyline for the sun to only rise and set south. But i very much doubt it and until someone gets confirmation from a credible source this is just speculation on a largely unimportant issue.
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Maybe soon duke will shout why the sun sets in that direction.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I'd say it's because of the shadows.

Probably... ^^^ this.

Map object shadows are not dynamic, they are static. I haven't really checked to see if the sun lines up with them somewhat realistically, though I do notice much of the time they don't.

It wouldn't be hard to code the sun/moon to travel in the right directions, but it would be hard to code as well as very taxing on people's systems to render shadows in real time.

This engine is like, over 5 years old. It was designed to run well on systems then. Corners were cut. This is what we have to live with. b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Why does Raging Tide have a moon that never sets?

(I'm referring to the pretty blue one)
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The world is Pan Gu, according to PWI mythology.

Pan Gu desired to be able to see the sun in the morning. Thus, by having his feet point toward the sun as he sleeps, he sees it first thing when he sits up and gazes forward.

Thus, the sun rises in the south.
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The world is Pan Gu, according to PWI mythology.

Pan Gu desired to be able to see the sun in the morning. Thus, by having his feet point toward the sun as he sleeps, he sees it first thing when he sits up and gazes forward.

Thus, the sun rises in the south.

Wait, so Raging Tides (the city, not the server) is down by his crotch? o.O
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • SovereignVis - Sanctuary
    SovereignVis - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Why does Raging Tide have a moon that never sets?

(I'm referring to the pretty blue one)

That's no moon, It's another planet. b:sin
    But the whole tideborn area is like being on another planet. b:surprised
    I think they should have just put the whole tideborn area under water. That would have been kind of cool. And they are fish people anyways.
    b:victory
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Probably... ^^^ this.

Map object shadows are not dynamic, they are static. I haven't really checked to see if the sun lines up with them somewhat realistically, though I do notice much of the time they don't.

It wouldn't be hard to code the sun/moon to travel in the right directions, but it would be hard to code as well as very taxing on people's systems to render shadows in real time.

This engine is like, over 5 years old. It was designed to run well on systems then. Corners were cut. This is what we have to live with.

May be, although already the current implementation (defficient or not) does account for different camera angles and there isn't much in the way in the way of shade in the landscape. I do agree with you it probably did come down to saving money one way or the other.
    That's no moon, It's another planet. b:sin
    But the whole tideborn area is like being on another planet. b:surprised
    I think they should have just put the whole tideborn area under water. That would have been kind of cool. And they are fish people anyways.
    b:victory

Mind telling us your theory on why the sun is south.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I've wondered if it's not intentional. In traditional Asian cultures, the primary cardinal direction is East, not North. So if you look at the map and say up is East, then the sun sets in the West like it should. (Course AFAIK it doesn't rise in the East in the game.)
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Game must be getting really boring if people are staring at a fake virtual sun.

Protip: Theres one outside of your house IRL, i'm not joking.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited August 2010

stare at that sun and watch yourself go blind/cause eye damageb:byeb:cute
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited August 2010

rofll
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Because Han the Drunkard designed the map.

In reality, the City of Raging tides is in the northwest, not the southeast.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    May be, although already the current implementation (defficient or not) does account for different camera angles and there isn't much in the way in the way of shade in the landscape. I do agree with you it probably did come down to saving money one way or the other.

Actually there is quite a bit of shade in the landscape. Most notable would be over by city of the lost area... when you're flying to vol15 or from 15/16 to 17, as well as by FB untamed.. you'll notice that there is some on the ground below.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    I've wondered if it's not intentional. In traditional Asian cultures, the primary cardinal direction is East, not North. So if you look at the map and say up is East, then the sun sets in the West like it should. (Course AFAIK it doesn't rise in the East in the game.)

A plausible and interesting theory, although it would mostly contradict PW's climate map. The north generally does posses cooler climates with Tibetan valley climates to the West, snowed areas to the north and more forested, rainy regions to the north. Etherblade seems like a Manchuria of sorts with the Harslands perhaps representing a more sinocentric view of the East (the Hindu Kush) and the area around Swifwind territories associated with Mongolian culture. The area of Lost does resemble Sichuan and Archo could be compared to Beijing, Hidden Orchid resembling the more fertile and settled region of the Yangtze. Further south we go through a Shanxi of sorts in King's Feast and a Hubei in Tusk Town. To the West we've got the Zhe-Jiang with Sanctuary a probable Shanghai and to the Southwest Dreamweaver, with not only it's climate but it's pirate motiff strongly suggesting Guangdong. Plume seems to indicate a shift towards Southeastern Asian culture with some slightly suggested caricatures of foreign cultures at the Southwest corner of the map.

To me the map is an allegory of China and very much influenced by it's geography and culture, the sun setting on the south because of a priority given to the cardinal importance of the East would ignore this very important, almost intended aspect of the game. The sun setting, or rising, to the geographical south would turn the map upon it's head... The South being considered lucky, on the other hand, and having been chosen simply from a perspective of traditional beliefs seems all the more likely to me, although once again, i do believe that having the sun permanently oriented towards a part of the sky seems to me more a technical decission than one having anything to do with the game's lore. More than likely it was a decission made to save time or money (ultimately the very same thing for a developer) and South simply choosen as a lucky default.

Edit; I think i may have missed also plainly stating that the map is designed with a Northern Hemisphere perspective, climate gradually shifting from cold to the North to warm on the South. From this point of view it would make little sense to place the sun in the South if the map is meant to emphasize Chinese traditional culture.

Edit2; @Michael; You do make a good point and it may very well be the reason the sun was set as it is. Thinking of it however i'm not entirely sure the shadows really do correspond to the sun's position, nor that this would have been the deciding factor in the developer's decission.
  • __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver
    __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Wait, so Raging Tides (the city, not the server) is down by his crotch? o.O

That would certainly explain why so many people consider those who play tideborn, tho' more directed towards assassins, to be a bunch of di-...

...I'll shut up. b:shutupb:beatenupb:avoid
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    CrowPrince - Lost City Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That would certainly explain why so many people consider those who play tideborn, tho' more directed towards assassins, to be a bunch of di-...

...I'll shut up. b:shutupb:beatenupb:avoid

this is just the most epic response i have ever seen b:victory
  • Blindwiz - Sanctuary
    Blindwiz - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    My guess is that since the map is longer on the north-south axis than east-west axis, having a north-south solar path will provide sunlight to more area. Also if they add on any more territories to the south of map like tideborn area in future expansions, the possible new land can get sunlight too... Ijs

Anyway i don't think everything is explainable in a fantasy world, just like why Perfect World is flat and not round.
  • SaintToadElf - Archosaur
    SaintToadElf - Archosaur Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Maybe the PW planet has a strange orbit?

MANray, that just rocked.
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Anyway i don't think everything is explainable in a fantasy world, just like why Perfect World is flat and not round.

Geez, if it were round then people on the bottom would be falling of it. That wouldn't help at all.

Also, considering the roughly rectangular shape of the world... whoever created the world wasn't an idiot. He actually thought "well, if I make such a large world, then people will want maps, and in the future they will want to display it on TFT screens", and used a shape that matches the shape of a sheet of paper or TFT screens.
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Blindwiz - Sanctuary
    Blindwiz - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Geez, if it were round then people on the bottom would be falling of it. That wouldn't help at all.

Off topic: U from Pluto? I don't see Australians or South Africans falling from Earth which is round FYI. Neither would players fall if map is round cos PW Sucks... As in Gravity of cos. Ijs.

On Topic: Maybe the sun rising and setting in the south attribute to a colder north like harshland and a hotter south like buried bones. Also maybe the gravity of having the sun and moon rise and set in the south is what makes the tide rage in tideborn area.

Curious about OP's answer.
  • ireseflamewielder
    ireseflamewielder Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I'll give a shot in the dark. :-)

As Anjiru said, Dynamic shadows. The whole game world has pre rendered shadows of everything (they are visible even during the night) except for the npcs and player characters which are dynamic. Making the sun rising from an alternate direction would need to render more things which end up requiring more resources.

In the end it could be a limitation in the game engine.

I know an MMO where you can't jump or swim due to an engine limitation.

Other than that....I'll wait for the OP's answer.b:chuckle
  • NoImKrel - Heavens Tear
    NoImKrel - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    how come we fly so high in the sky and stil lcant get to the freakin clouds??