PWE Takeover?

Options
X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Off-Topic Discussion
I heard today EA Games has bought shares in PWE, and are planning a takeover before the next big gaming convention thing. Just wondering if this is true and if anyone can shed light on this? b:thanks
Post edited by X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    why would EA show interest in such rubbish as this?

as much as EA can fail at games, PWE top them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crystalynnex
    crystalynnex Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the day EA buys shares in PW is the day I throw out all the Sims games i have from my apartment window down into the river below >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

♥ siggy by Susylu - HT

"you can compare alcohol to a woman; she can make you feel so high, or she can make you miserable that it's far beyond everything." -AL
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What's with the EA fanboys nerdraging about how PW would "soil" their precious publisher? Yes, EA is an historic company with many classic titles under their belt... except that if you knew anything about gaming you would also realize most of these it bought, not developed. EA actually buried many great studios and franchises and it may have very well deprived us of as many great games as it sold us. We are talking about a company that not only sunk to the depths of trying to edit it's own Wikipedia entry, but one that got caught. I mean seriously, if the two bit PRs of dime celebrities, infomercial products and banana republics can manage it really is an embarrasment for a company dedicated to actually producing software...

And more importantly, what the H do they know about MMOs? Their one great title, ****, they got from someone else (Mythic) and mismanaged out of mainstream. I mean we are talking about people who actually tried to turn Grand Theft Auto into an MMO, and from the looks of it APB has already gone down in flames... At least PWE managed to make one succesful MMO. Or you think is JD and Ether that are paying for the company's R&D? PW paid for itself and continues very much alive, which the overwhelming majority of MMO publishers wishes they could say. Go back to your consoles if you like EA so much, the only decent thing they've managed for serious platforms lately is DAO (which as an aside i would love to see made into an MMO) everything else being twitch, sports or Rockband... As for SIM games they've actually managed to take the thinking and strategizing out of the whole thing...

I would see it as bad news if EA actually bought out PWE as i'm not exactly looking forward to the sort of chibi games they would probably make them produce... Newest update for PW; yea, it's better than rank 9, it's lightsabers!
  • Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    EA arnt even that good

Deadspace port to the PC was terrible, bugged and no patches released to fix it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    EA fails at PC games. If you look at their homepage, all that is significant is Crysis (released HOW long ago?) and Battlefield 2 (which is older than many of the players here).

EA certainly can do no justice for PWI, that is for certain.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Nasuchi - Sanctuary
    Nasuchi - Sanctuary Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    EA Owns another F2P gaming company known as 'Outspark'.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Let's see if EA still wants it after they lose a fortune when shares go down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vixre - Harshlands
    Vixre - Harshlands Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    why would EA show interest in such rubbish as this?

as much as EA can fail at games, PWE top them

LOL, remember Battlefield: Bad Company? Half of the gaming elements featured in the commercials were not given when you buy the game... you had to pay additional money on TOP of the original $60 spent for just the game. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    "Last week, at the China Digital Entertainment Expo & Conference (Chinajoy), Perfect World CEO Michael Chi revealed that the company ranked number one in the US micro-payment MMOPRG market and its oversea revenues were likely to top USD 100 million."

Taken from an/the article that spoke about EA's actions.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    "Last week, at the China Digital Entertainment Expo & Conference (Chinajoy), Perfect World CEO Michael Chi revealed that the company ranked number one in the US micro-payment MMOPRG market and its oversea revenues were likely to top USD 100 million."

Taken from an/the article that spoke about EA's actions.

I would have never imagined such a thing. I would apprecite if you'd be so kind as to post a link. b:thanks
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    if I was the one sitting on a cash cow like that I would sell it off too... oops b:shutup

Besides can we blame EA for good business... what do you want them to do a Sega?
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Besides can we blame EA for good business... what do you want them to do a Sega?

Sad thing that Sega went down like it did, even still Sega>>>>EA.

Ahm jus' sayhn'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Sad thing that Sega went down like it did, even still Sega>>>>EA.

Ahm jus' sayhn'.

Yes they made great games but great games don't make money... people want to buy ****! YEAH!!!!!! (I watch people buy **** everyday.)
  • mightymoose
    mightymoose Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I heard today EA Games has bought shares in PWE, and are planning a takeover before the next big gaming convention thing. Just wondering if this is true and if anyone can shed light on this? b:thanks

They're taking a stake in PWRD, not taking over PWRD (btw PWE is only a subsidary of PWRD). China is a pretty protectionist country and I doubt they'll let a US company take over one of their country's leading companies in a particular sector (online gaming). Perfect World is number 3 in the world in online gaming (after blizzard and 1 other asian company) with huge profits while EA is a dung pile with losses of over 1 billiion dollars incurred over 12 consecutive quarters of losses.

I think the reason they're taking stake in PWRD is to get a better foothold into China. Taking stake in a company usually means giving that company a huge bucket load of cash in exchange for shares of the company (which they can just "create"). In exchange, they'll prob get to expand into areas via PWRD that they otherwise could not by themselves without incurring huge costs. Maybe EA wants to expand their online games into China and wants to do it with PWRD's help. Having a local company (with already existing infrastructure) introduce their products is a lot easier than going into China as a foreign company and starting from scratch.

The company I worked for is North American based and we had to jump through hoops to get into China's market as a foreign company. We had to set up a subsidiary locally in China and train and hire locally and basically poured millions into there. While we could easily develop everything here, we had to train them and transfer our technology there so they can develop things themselves locally for their local market. It would prob be easier and cheaper do business via an existing local company there; one way to do that is what I believe EA is planning to do.

This is just my speculation on the matter. I don't work for EA nor PWRD.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:PWRD

PWRD is having a rough time, has had a steady decrease in stock prices since November 2009, where they topped 46.60 per share. When PWRD introduced themselves July 27, 2007, their stocks were at 25.65. Currently they are at 24.78.

Pretty much, 3 years later, they are right back where they started. Kindof a crappy investment. If they continue this trend of a downward spiral in their stocks, this game will be tanked before you can blink an eye.

In reference to the subject of EA deals with PWRD:

Rumors started on Aug 6:

http://chinagame.178.com/201008/75064831210.html

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/pwrd_ncty_ea-plans-to-take-stake-in-perfect-world-1094067.html

PWRD denies rumors Aug 12:

http://www.pacificepoch.com/newsstories?id=1626484_0_5_0_M

Even if EA did show interest and a deal is in the works, its a smart move, considering Bejing Perfect World IS the lead PC MMO company in greater Asia. Perfect World would be able to expand further into North America where EA reigns, and EA would be able to benefit in Asia.

(BTW, Im not a huge fan of EA or Perfect World, just giving the evidence stated via the internet)
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • SaintToadElf - Archosaur
    SaintToadElf - Archosaur Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I would see it as bad news if EA actually bought out PWE as i'm not exactly looking forward to the sort of chibi games they would probably make them produce... Newest update for PW; yea, it's better than rank 9, it's lightsabers!

I want a lightsaber. A green one. b:laugh
    If I take what mightymoose and Lyritha said together, we might see a PW console game eventually, like PS3 or whatever. That could help promote this product better into the public awareness. If EA is in no position to buy PW but wants in on it, what other results might we see? A CGI televised mini-series would be kinda neat.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the info mightymoose and Nahktuul, i'll confess i was clueless about PW being a major player in Asia and had always assumed it would be Japanese or Korean publishers that dominated the market... It's also beyond me how a corporation (other than a government) that's got 12 quarters of bad finances is even in a position to buy into new ventures. Now, with Blizzard's virtual monopoly of Western markets unlikely to be challenged i fail to see how anyone would invest in any MMO, except perhaps on niche markets such as the one occupied by PW. This does bring me to the point of how solid PWI's finances really are, with conflicting information being difficult to sort through.

And SaintToadElf i don't see PW expanding into even cell phones, much less consoles. The game is certainly dated and the franchise appears to have little potential for development. PW's final legacy will probably be the idea that an MMO strongly based in fashion, strong customization options and a Kemonomimi motiff can be worked into the more traditional RPG model, and appeal to a broader playerbase than it's intended audience of Otaku and 14 year old girls...
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    LOL, remember Battlefield: Bad Company? Half of the gaming elements featured in the commercials were not given when you buy the game... you had to pay additional money on TOP of the original $60 spent for just the game. b:victory

Irony of the name makes me lol b:chuckle
  • Dsholder - Dreamweaver
    Dsholder - Dreamweaver Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If EA does buy Perfect World then.....I guess i'll be driving around archosaur in a nascar. Watch out players on mounts imma run you over with my 180 m/sec
    [SIGPIC]http://a.imageshack.us/img714/9433/testoz.jpg[/SIGPIC]

If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke.
  • Lejont - Raging Tide
    Lejont - Raging Tide Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    EA is awsome!!!!! i soooo love the sims ;)
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    EA huh? The only series I like from them is Burnout... Where you can win with drunk driving.
    And it's developed by Criterion Games even... so.

To return to the main subject, I don't believe in that.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~