Graphics Glitching

_FoxxyMama_ - Harshlands
_FoxxyMama_ - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
I have had these glitching problems for about a week now come and go they will be there and then i have to restart my game and it's fine but what may be causing it anyway?

here is a link to my photo bucket album that has several views and pics of this issue

http://s846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/_FoxxyMama_/Perfect%20World%20glitches/
Post edited by _FoxxyMama_ - Harshlands on

Comments

• Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That pretty much looks like your graphic card or drivers are messed up.

If you just recently experienced these glitches, might be a driver update your computer downloaded (personal or auto downloaded).

If you recently installed some programs try to find related graphic issues with those programs, since they can contain "updates" which can mess things up.
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It looks to me like your graphics card is dying/overheating, but that's just a guess.

You should try doing a verify on your game first to see if that helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • _FoxxyMama_ - Harshlands
    _FoxxyMama_ - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    ya so my comp guy figures it is over heating to he has now downloaded a program to track the heating of my video card and as for the whole dying video card, wanted to say theres is no such thing as a dying video card it either works or doesn't also said by a comp pro and the drivers are all updated so it isn't that ^^. but yus thank you guys and i will hope that if it is over heating that i can get another fan in to keep it cooler cause sadly it's a good enough card that shouldn't glitch like this even with all settings up. but once again thank you all for replying to my forum.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    nifty graphics :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • SugarPrinces - Sanctuary
    SugarPrinces - Sanctuary Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    uhhh yeah there is such a thing as a "dying" video card, i had one.. if you push it too hard and it overheats without proper/sufficient cooling (in my case, a second hand card that i didnt know was supposed to have a fan on it until after the issues similar to yours started and i came across a factory-default picture of it WITH fan), since the video memory ic's aren't all in one for the total amount of onboard ram, one ic can start to degrade from excessive heat (its just silicone after all) and cause memory issues (similar to what can happen with your system ram) which results in corrupted textures as you're getting. as i've said i've had the same thing happen to me, except in my case everything was fine for a while and running smooth no problems then suddenly after a couple hours of playing something 3D and graphics intensive i'd get the entire 3d-app go all "blocky" and scrambled (like the chat font and genie portrait in your pics) but cover the entire window (tho in windowed mode, background applications like my desktop and taskbar were unaffected) and even closing and reloading the game didnt help, had to shut down and let it all cool for a while before the graphics would unscramble.. adding a large fan to the card's heat sink helped a bit but only delayed the eventual graphics corruption, running a trial version of a system benchmarking utility that includes video ram tests gave a message along the lines of "Video Ram is failing, please replace as soon as possible" or similar message (cant rememebr the exact wording the app used but that was basically it in a nutshell).. i dont see what tracking your heating is gonna prove except that it may in fact be overheating (which i'd think is more then apparent), you can check the same thing yourself by rebooting and goin into the cmos system info page (where it shows cpu temp, board temp, fan speeds, etc) immediately after this corruption happens (just press reset and deal with the windows whining about improper shut down later) and see if the board temp is outside the "safe range".

Fans are cheap, dirt cheap, catch is where are you gonna put it? if your case has a side hole for a fan cutout, those are usually placed directly above where the video card sits for the specific reason of extra cooling on the video card, just add a fan or faster fan to there, if it doesnt then might wanna look into getting a custom fit plexi side panel (also usually quite cheap, its just plexi with a hole in it and a few **** holes)

the less nice option of adding a fan (assuming your card already has a fan on it) would be to epoxy a cpu fan to one of those metal spacer slats that fill the expansion holes in the back, on a bit of an angle, and put that in the slot directly beside the video card and move all other cards as far from the fan as possible to optimise airflow.

This may just delay the inevitable tho as in my case, even with good cooling the card still "glitched" after some time of "peak" use until i got tired of it and just got a new card (with the added bonus of a faster gpu and double the video ram) for a decently cheap price