question about attack and defence level!

Jarid - Lost City
Jarid - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Ok will keep it short.

How does the attack/defence level influence outgoing/incoming damage?

I originally thought that it motifies the damage reducing with level in procent.

Meaning, if I had an attack level of 50 I always would do 50% more damage than without.

My question: If somehow you would reach defence level 100, which reduces damage by 100%, would you be completely immune to damage?
Post edited by Jarid - Lost City on

Comments

• LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Answer to question: No. It's impossible to be immune to dmg unless your a GM or a NPC. But you can reduce it to where it's almost null.

As for the answer to attack/defense: Yes, if you had 50 attack you would do 50% more dmg then normal. While if you had 50 defence you would recieve 50% less dmg then normal.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Ok will keep it short.

How does the attack/defence level influence outgoing/incoming damage?

I originally thought that it motifies the damage reducing with level in procent.

Meaning, if I had an attack level of 50 I always would do 50% more damage than without.

My question: If somehow you would reach defence level 100, which reduces damage by 100%, would you be completely immune to damage?

To the second, I plan to find out myself eventually.

Based on how Soul of Retaliation works, my guess is you can effectively reduce incoming damage by 99%, but not any further.

Soul of Retaliation is supposed to reduce damage to a degree based on my soulforce. I have 14k soulforce, so this degree is that the first 7k damage dealt by an opponent will simply be absorbed. However, if I get hit with, say, 500 damage, the hit will still do 5 damage.
    I think if 100 defense allowed you to resist all damage, then SoR would also resist all damage of incoming skills that deal too low of damage to breach SoR's shield capabilities.

The other possibility is of course that there's a defense level cap in place. I don't know of anyone having over 80 defense level though, so it's tough to say. Besides that, that 100 defense level is even harder to achieve when attack level is avaliable to your opponent. One attack level basically cancels out one defense level, and right now everyone and their mother is running around with 30 attack level.
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited August 2010
    LongKnife: Accelerator on HT is running around with +80 attack lvl base thnx to her warsoul and jones' blessing b:surrender
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    LongKnife: Accelerator on HT is running around with +80 attack lvl base thnx to her warsoul and jones' blessing b:surrender

:o only 80? lamesauce
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    V|LKASS: She has warsoul (+50) and Jones' Blessing (+30) which is +80 total for base. Then add in sin's skill to boost attack lvl and you have close to 100 attack lvl. Now if a psy gets warsoul....add in their vodoo skill with it's crazy bonus....you have a psy with 100 attack..... :(
  • Jarid - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Basicly if defence level 100 was possible, it still wouldn't do any good against high level players who use attack levels.

Since 100 - attack level (let's say 13) makes a defence level of 87

so instead of 100% it would be 87%

so immunity for monsters is theoretically possible. It still would help alot against players but still wouldn't do the final trick.

Would be awesome to have a barbarian with defence level 100.
    would mean that tanker can tank any monster of whatever damage.
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    A Barb with Defense level 100 would be pretty much invincible. Every hit they'd regen in an instant so... b:surrender
    edited August 2010
    Barb w/ 100 Defense lvl = GOD! (In PvE)

Seriously....the hits they would take would be so small it wouldn't even phase them >.<
  • Jarid - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    lol I am going to get such gear. Good luck for me cuz I probably won't make it.
    Anyhow would be cool if it was possible so let's try my luck.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    +50 Defense Level reduces damage by 1%, 50 times.

The formula is:

Reduction = 1 - (0.99 ^ Def)

So for 50:

Reduction = 1 - (0.99 ^ 50)
    Reduction = 39.5%

Or for 100:

Reduction = 1 - (0.99 ^ 100)
    Reduction = 63.4%

The opposite is true for Attack Level, so Jones' Blessing (+30) would be:

Increase = 1 - (0.99 ^ 30)
    Increase = 26%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]