Looting!?

jtaz88
jtaz88 Posts: 9 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
so is PWI ever going to implement a Need/Greed Rolling system ingame for game items? because it seems to be pretty one sided to have a "FREE" and a "RANDOM" squad looting format?
Post edited by jtaz88 on

Comments

• Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    If you don't like it, go back to **removed**
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It would be a nice feature. But no it's not gonna happen.
  • I_Snipe - Lost City
    I_Snipe - Lost City Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    1. ask beforehand what you drops you would like

or

2. go with a trusted squad.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    jtaz88 wrote: »
    so is PWI ever going to implement a Need/Greed Rolling system ingame for game items? because it seems to be pretty one sided to have a "FREE" and a "RANDOM" squad looting format?

You know, that's one of the suggestions we made to the dev team some time ago, much like tab targeting, so we'll see..
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    You know, that's one of the suggestions we made to the dev team some time ago, much like tab targeting, so we'll see..

And you didn't tell us you suggested it? I'm a sad mog now... b:sad
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    And you didn't tell us you suggested it? I'm a sad mog now... b:sad
    Because, if they tell us about every idea they forward to the developers... it would make them look bad b:chuckle
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    What would a need/greed rolling system be like?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    What would a need/greed rolling system be like?

Basically, when a magical piece of gear drops, each member of the party would have to choose whether they actually "need" it (since its an upgrade), or if they simply want it to vendor or sell- "greed".

Then everyone rolls a number from 1-100 and any "need" roll would beat any "greed" roll, and if there are multiple "need" rolls, then the highest "need" roll gets the item.

If everyone rolls "greed" (since everyone is planning on just selling the item), then the highest "greed" roll wins the item.

Anyway, that's pretty much how it would work; but it would take a bit of programming to create this function.

Creating brand new functions for a game that's been out for some time is a tricky business, so I also tried putting in a request to at least add a /roll function that would simply generate a random number between 1-100. Players would then at least have a fun and fair way to distribute loot among the people who want it.

The current honor system is interesting though, as it basically uses social pressure to keep things fair.
  • Schampooo - Raging Tide
    Schampooo - Raging Tide Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2010

lol at this....... u mad? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eraldus
    eraldus Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Do you act as cool and tough in real life as you act in PW forums?
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    Basically, when a magical piece of gear drops, each member of the party would have to choose whether they actually "need" it (since its an upgrade), or if they simply want it to vendor or sell- "greed".

Then everyone rolls a number from 1-100 and any "need" roll would beat any "greed" roll, and if there are multiple "need" rolls, then the highest "need" roll gets the item.

If everyone rolls "greed" (since everyone is planning on just selling the item), then the highest "greed" roll wins the item.

Anyway, that's pretty much how it would work; but it would take a bit of programming to create this function.

Creating brand new functions for a game that's been out for some time is a tricky business, so I also tried putting in a request to at least add a /roll function that would simply generate a random number between 1-100. Players would then at least have a fun and fair way to distribute loot among the people who want it.

The current honor system is interesting though, as it basically uses social pressure to keep things fair.
    People could always say they need it though even if it's just a matter of greed. It would be harder but I think if the devs even bother with this they should take the extra time to make it calculate if the person needs it.
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Wouldn't a greedy person choose 'need' every time? b:shutup

I honestly think the random distribution is fine. If a mold or nice piece of 3* gear drops then grats to whoever gets it. Nothing he/she did increased his/her chances of getting that particular item so it's fair as far as I'm concerned. That's assuming, of course, that everyone does their job and no one decides to go take a **** break and start leeching off everyone else.

Another problem I have is when a melee class invites people after setting distribution to free so that he/she can get first pick at any drops. ***** move.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    People could always say they need it though even if it's just a matter of greed.

Yes, but then everyone would just do the same and it would be random. The thing is, who would agree to use such system? I mean, if the tank demands the first pick anyway or else he's not joining, it isn't so good idea. But if everyone agrees to use it, it's great and I think it's nice to see GMs actually post things like this in detail.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Salamandrai - Sanctuary
    Salamandrai - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    i suppose it works for wow it could work here, but then again alot of people would pretty much "Need" everything since they know it would be a win if everyone else greeds it. But not bad, i liked it on wow and would be cool here
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    Yes, but then everyone would just do the same and it would be random.
    Yes and we already have that feature.
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Fuzzy couldn't agree more with frankie on that point.

It is an honour system at present and that keeps things very grounded. Once you start to run instances like TT etc it only takes a few times before you start to see who is scamming etc and who is worth running with and who isn't.

There will always be those looking to abuse any distribution system and bend it in their own favour, but with how it currently operates Fuzzy is sure before too long those people generally discover they can't find anyone at all to run with and have nobody but themselves to blame for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TwentyThree - Dreamweaver
    TwentyThree - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I thought that in game-not-to-be-mentioned drops in instances were actual pieces of wearable gear; PWI has the whole "mat" system, where you do multiple runs of getting different materials to complete your gear. The only drops similar to "the other game" would be molds in FBs, which constitute a smaller and smaller portion of the populations gear as levels go up.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    squad types:

you usually give molds/worthy drops to a tab-holder
    or the person who wines without a fee in a bh
    old tt was: one collects all mats, split in the end tank > cleric > dd
    (seems like the new tanks dont bother much about repairs and stuff, was a barb issue, they claimed to pick first, but everyone was ok with it, and cleric picking next is reasonable)

or this: nirvana run, 4 people
    1 rapture and 5 uncannies + ****

we share what can be shared equally and fair
    then we put the additional pieces on the ground and wait for them to reset, pick up randomly
    ->person leaves squad, next
    ...this is time consuming and a *random this item* button would be nice :)

also back when i was running TT more frequently
    there were a lot of different mats dropped and the person that was holding them had to list them all over and over again in the pick-row cause people forgot whats left xD

*kicking in random words*
    >squad loot stash<, >show item list<, >insert item here to random-spread inSquad<
    >random squad-name-call-o-bot Button "Squad Bot: Random Squad Member - hexOmega"<

ps: <3 tab auto target
    i like potato
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010

As stated above... that is kinda illogical. If one is in a random squad, one would always call 'need' so as to win. (Human nature and please don't try to preach about good faith and stuffz.) If one is in a squad with friends, one will distribute things according to their needs/sell leftovers and divide the coinz.

To sum up, there is no need for something like this I believe...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Oh, god no. i don't want a stupid popup coming on screen any time an item is picked up while in squad.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • jtaz88
    jtaz88 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2010

aww some one didn't love you enough? -removes lythiaaa-
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Oh, god no. i don't want a stupid popup coming on screen any time an item is picked up while in squad.

There would be a setting that sets the threshold of what items have popups and whatnot. You would set it to common items, dq, blue equipment, etc.

I recently played a game with a system like this. There were very few people that became greedy and selected need each time just for cash. Now, PWI drops are different. Since this game's end game equipment were all bound on pickup so they were near worthless if you didnt need it. PWI is different whereby equipment comes from manufacturing from dungeon loots (Actually, who the hell am I kidding. PWI equipment comes from packs/cash shop).
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the explanation Frankie.

Personally, I don't see the need for such a system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3