Stealth useage in pve

xxstjimmyxx
xxstjimmyxx Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Assassin
So like the title says, what is the point of this in pve? Non-aggro mobs don't care that you suddenly appear from nowhere right? And I have yet to see very many aggros but then that may be due to my low level... But still, even if aggros were prevalent, couldn't you just lure them away one at a time or something and fight like any other mob?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have tried looking around but all I can find on stealth is the awareness level stuff which doesn't seem to answer my question.

And yes obviously it is useful in pvp, that is why I specified pve. So if you have anything to say about pvp, go on somewhere.
Post edited by xxstjimmyxx on

Comments

• truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    At low levels, it's useless as far as PvE goes, true.

But once you get past 30, you'll start to see aggressive monsters more and more. By the 40s, those aggressive monsters will also start to almost always assist each other if you attack one nearby. Once you hit the 60s, you'll start doing instances with guard mobs regularly where you can easily use stealth to bypass many other mobs and save the squad some time. At higher levels when you're able to take more hits, you'll be able to carry a squad straight to instance bosses without needing to kill mobs via force stealth.

Of course, you'll always have the option to just destroy any and all mobs you meet, but that wasn't what the topic was about.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Also, on the higher levels comes soloing instances with stealth. After all, if you can tank the BH Bosses on your own, why would you bother getting a squad?
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Astrohawke - Lost City
    Astrohawke - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Also, on the higher levels comes soloing instances with stealth. After all, if you can tank the BH Bosses on your own, why would you bother getting a squad?

Actually by the time you can solo bosses i.e. 90+ you can't even do that anymore since they introduced the monster kill quests in FB/BH. if you don't kill at least 40 mobs in that dungeon, the boss will likely 1 hit you.

But on topic, just about every mob after the starting area is aggro. Force stealth can be used to escape bad situations when 2-3 mobs suddenly aggro on you. This happens a lot in the air or in the water where maneuvrebility is poor and mobs are clumped together. Lots of mobs later on also use a magic attack while you're running towards them. If you stealth and run up to them you can avoid that attack.
  • _Leif - Lost City
    _Leif - Lost City Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    So you can sneak up on ppl and pk them before they realize what's going on.

What is PvE?
  • xxstjimmyxx
    xxstjimmyxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Ok thank you, I was just really hoping I hadn't wasted points on something that seemed cool and would turn out useless. And that last poster, did you not read anything I said? You sir, are fired.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Yea low lvls, stealth use useless. Not only cause the mobs won't care, but also cause it will drain your full mp in seconds.
    As you get higher, your mp pool rises (DON"T stat mag for it though), and you can wear mp recovery gear to increase your stealth time even more. You'll only need 2 or 3 pieces, combined with cleric bufs (lvl 10 regen buf) to regen more mp than you use in stealth (and thus get mp while you are in stealth, this is ofcourse with lvl 10 shadow walk).

However it is mostly a skil for PvP, that is true
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Amarante - Raging Tide
    Amarante - Raging Tide Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Stealth is useful at any levels if you know you know how to use it :)

For ranging/casting mobs, if you stealth and get within attack range of them, then attack, they won't run away (If they do, you're doing something wrong). Hercule Trioc/Luminoc Architect/Khewy is pretty annoying when he runs away, yes? Stealth, get close, attack, he doesn't run :D

Shadow Escape = more chi. Yummy! Chi! Sparks! Chi! Sparks! Chi chi chi chi chi!b:dirty

Stealth is also nice for sneaking up to mobs in the water or in the air. When you're slower than jello flowing down a mountain, sneaking up to mobs without getting hit along the way is pretty darn cool :)

And for most stealth uses at low levels, you're really not stealthing for too long so the mp burn isn't too bad. Just bring mp mots if you need them. Fish powah! b:chuckle
  • SickPigeon - Raging Tide
    SickPigeon - Raging Tide Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I'm just going to try to sum up as many PvE uses for shadow walk and shadow escape as I can:

-Sneak up on caster/range mobs. The dun run.
    -Every time you use shadow escape, you get lots of chi. Good for sparking or spark+ in stealth to stun or immobilize the mob and deal damage and they won't know wtf just happened.
    -In areas where tons of mobs are clumped together, you can simply walk past them. This is especially useful for skipping mobs in an instance and farming mats.
    -A sin is basically specced for 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2 combat, not 1 vs 2+ combat. If a ton of mobs come and try to gank you, you can force yourself into stealth and they simply walk away. Just hope they dun have strong DoT.
    -Guide players through instances. Say if a cleric dies and doesn't have a scroll, you can easily walk through the instance to the entrance and avoid any left over mobs. Then safely guide them to the group.
    -Good for scouting instances like BH51 with tons of walkers and Fushma wandering about. Yeah, that's right. Sins aren't just killers, they also make good scouts.

Stealth is basically the secret to a long life for a sin. While most classes would die at low hp, a sin can simply stealth and walk away to safety with shadow escape. And with shadow walk, you don't even have to be fighting in the first place. Just skip mobs.
  • PanicSwitch - Harshlands
    PanicSwitch - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    lol a sin pull me and my gf do this when there no zeal. Rush in pull the boss and all his mobs around him. She will hit the boss i run off with the mobs stealth. They reset and the boss has been pulled no zeal no veno
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Used with the correct combination of skills with stealth you can get mobs down to half HP before they are even able to fight back. Very useful, especially when you need to kill Taurox, they hit hard >_<