Why don't the NPCs know the game?

Options
Yindra - Sanctuary
Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
I mean, come on. So that guy yells at me "Why did you help that strange guy instead of reporting back to me". Dumbass. That's what my quest log told me to do. YOU didn't even have a quest sign. Yell at the developers, or at least turn on your quest sign.
Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
Post edited by Yindra - Sanctuary on

Comments

• /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You do realize the NPC's are just programs and can't really think for themselves b:surrender
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You do realize the NPC's are just programs and can't really think for themselves b:surrender

You do realise that... nevermind.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Lol.

"Why don't the NPCs, who are supposed to behave as citizens of the game's universe and not break the fourth wall by knowing they are in fact, in a game, know they're in game?!"

Troll harder, my dear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Elixira_ - Heavens Tear
    _Elixira_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'm confused, though rather amused. I think I need some caffeine.

I'm looking at the OP's level (77 at the moment) and thinking,"Alright, she's either seriously joking or seriously needs to pause in her bh's, hypers and such long enough to at least learn the fundamentals of basic gameplay.... like what an NPC is." I do hope it's the first. b:chuckle
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    NPCs have dialogues?
  • Luckyrose - Harshlands
    Luckyrose - Harshlands Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The ability to read is not needed when coming to NPCs, just click a whole lotta times and you get something. Like pie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank You Forsaken :)
  • Shingetsuka - Dreamweaver
    Shingetsuka - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I gave up on the NPCs the first time I gave a merchant the stones I had just bought from him for CS. Because they're in dire need, you know...or something...
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I mean, come on. So that guy yells at me "Why did you help that strange guy instead of reporting back to me". Dumbass. That's what my quest log told me to do. YOU didn't even have a quest sign. Yell at the developers, or at least turn on your quest sign.

NPCs read their script. They are good actors. So good, they never go astray from it. It's kinda sad in the end it's all of a very limited interaction. If the Old Swordsman (how did he get this epic beard, btw??) proposed you a mini-game of Go/Othello when you would wait in FBs for others, it would be cool.
    Lol.

"Why don't the NPCs, who are supposed to behave as citizens of the game's universe and not break the fourth wall by knowing they are in fact, in a game, know they're in game?!"

Troll harder, my dear.

Ahaha, you know, there is one that DOES break it. Check Blacksmith Mo Chi (Mochi, got the lame pun?) in Hidden Orchid. His lines are hilarious.
    I'm confused, though rather amused. I think I need some caffeine.

I'm looking at the OP's level (77 at the moment) and thinking,"Alright, she's either seriously joking or seriously needs to pause in her bh's, hypers and such long enough to at least learn the fundamentals of basic gameplay.... like what an NPC is." I do hope it's the first. b:chuckle

The meaningfulness of NPCs, why they are stuck around like ghosts, what is their purpose. I guess not enough people stop and think about it.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I gave up on the NPCs the first time I gave a merchant the stones I had just bought from him for CS. Because they're in dire need, you know...or something...

lol if u think about it, 5 elemental stones, and like a minimum of 1,000 players do cs that day (not counting those who do it twice in a day like me sometimes) thats what 5,000 stones that day. ya there in demand alright. but hey whatcha gonna do, they have built in scripts, although there was one NPC that knew he was an NPC i think its the blacksmith in orchird temple
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Really? I gave up long before that, when Chang San left a sign in his backyard saying "No money is buried here" and Wang Er stole it leaving a sign "Wang didn't steal"
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Really? I gave up long before that, when Chang San left a sign in his backyard saying "No money is buried here" and Wang Er stole it leaving a sign "Wang didn't steal"

That's taken from an old chinese story, not just stupidity in their dialogues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Archers_Soul - Lost City
    Archers_Soul - Lost City Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    This thread made me lol.
    I don't care how old or young you are, how small your **** is, how much of a nerd irl you are or how depressed you are that you never will get laid. There is no reason to act like an A-hole to everyone on an mmorpg. Its a shame that I have to take time out of my day to tell people "stop being an A-hole". So I end with this, if your acting like an A-hole, and some one tells you your being an A-hole chances are your being an A-hole.
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That's taken from an old chinese story, not just stupidity in their dialogues.
    But obviously, somebody was stupid whether it be Chinese people a long time ago or the programmers.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Lol.

Troll harder, my dear.

Whew, good thing our 5th and 6th walls still be intact.
    b:avoid
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i learned to click yes to all a npc quest gives..oh i love the trivia ones....keep going till u select the correct answer..wow hard there.

oh this jsut in..duke black is racist.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

Actually, every NPC is conrolled by a real person who is being held as prisoners in the PWE castle's dungeon. What they say is closely monitored by the GMs. When the NPCs say stupid nonsense stuff, its actually the prisoners trying to send you an encoded message for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • FiDollaYou - Sanctuary
    FiDollaYou - Sanctuary Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Lol.

Troll harder, my dear.

"There's so many things I have to tell you about, Doug."
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You see, the NPCs are jerks who like to mess with our brains... For example, the quest where the drunken warrior sends people on a quest in an area that not only doesn't truly exist, but will have you flying around for a good few minutes until you either think the quest's broken or he's being a jerk.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2010
    Options
    lol if u think about it, 5 elemental stones, and like a minimum of 1,000 players do cs that day (not counting those who do it twice in a day like me sometimes) thats what 5,000 stones that day. ya there in demand alright. but hey whatcha gonna do, they have built in scripts, although there was one NPC that knew he was an NPC i think its the blacksmith in orchird temple

There is no blacksmith in Orchid Temple.
    (Btw the temple needs at least a merchant. I hate when playing as my alts to have my pockets full of junk and be forced to trek to Allies' Camp to npc it)
    It's Hidden Orchid, as I pointed earlier. b:bye
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    But obviously, somebody was stupid whether it be Chinese people a long time ago or the programmers.

The story is called "此地无银三百两", which literally translates to "This land does not have 300 taels of silver buried here". There's a moral behind the story, like many other Chinese tales, so I wouldn't be so hasty to call them stupid.

http://mychinaconnection.com/category/chinese-idioms/

Scroll down and you'll see the story was pretty much taken directly from Chinese lore, even the character names Chang San and Wang Er.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The story is called "此地无银三百两", which literally translates to "This land does not have 300 taels of silver buried here". There's a moral behind the story, like many other Chinese tales, so I wouldn't be so hasty to call them stupid.

http://mychinaconnection.com/category/chinese-idioms/

Scroll down and you'll see the story was pretty much taken directly from Chinese lore, even the character names Chang San and Wang Er.

Awesome site! Thank you.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Because they're in dire need, you know...or something...

Yes, yes they are.

tftm.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    LOL, i hope the OP isn't the kind of person that likes to yell stuff like "Don't go in there!" in movie theaters. I guess someone should kindly break the news to him that all those npcs praising him as a unique hero pretty much tell everyone the same thing...

And as for the sign story, it is an ancient Chinese story which is A) now mostly meant for small children and B) evolved in the cultural context of a mostly iliterate agrarian society. Anyone leveling criticism at the story being unintelligent is pretty much placing themselves on the same level as people who criticize Homer or Shakespeare for lacking originality because elements in their storytelling seem vaguely familiar to them from movies starring Sylvester Stallone and Eddie Murphy.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Yes, yes they are.

tftm.jpg

Note to self: start reading NPC dialogue again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Finra - Sanctuary
    Finra - Sanctuary Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I love it when I get a quest telling me to visit this NPC which was right next to him/her and told me to deliver this and that quickly when he/she could have done it him/herself xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Programmed idiots much b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I love it when I get a quest telling me to visit this NPC which was right next to him/her and told me to deliver this and that quickly when he/she could have done it him/herself xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Programmed idiots much b:surrender

That tailor surely did not want to close her business or let her wares behind (thieves anyone?), that is why she asks you to deliver the new dress to her client. Oh and NPCs never have closing hours or breaks.
    Besides this quest pays well, so why not?
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    There is no blacksmith in Orchid Temple.
    (Btw the temple needs at least a merchant. I hate when playing as my alts to have my pockets full of junk and be forced to trek to Allies' Camp to npc it)
    It's Hidden Orchid, as I pointed earlier. b:bye

always manage to get the 2 confused, knew it was something orchird xD
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2010
    Options
    always manage to get the 2 confused, knew it was something orchird xD

Yeah, no problem. b:pleased