Could a Wizard be a Tank?

Amencat - Sanctuary
Amencat - Sanctuary Posts: 484 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Wizard
What do you think about it? Putting everything you have in Vit, and only the needed one, in Str and Mag, and be a Boss or TT Tank? You make still enough damage to hold aggro and would be really something special.

Possible or just a dream?
Some Rules each PWI Gamer should know
1. Dont break this rules & no matter what: DONT TRUST ANYONE!
2. Dont pay wine or heads fee (like to get kicked after that?) b:chuckle
3. Dont borrow items (since when return gms scammed stuff?) b:embarrass
4. Dont use your password in faction-forums (like hacks?) b:fatb
5. Dont give your mats to the tt-banker (obvious, not?) b:beg
6. Dont wait for help, or heals, or any other miracles,... (for more examples just play pwi and you will hate the whole humanity) b:bye
Post edited by Amencat - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    full buffed (lvl 10 buffs only) I have

13.9k magic attk (Neon interval is irelevant)
    +11k pdef
    +11k mdef
    7800 HP.
    14% crit.

if I get a sage barb buff I'm over 8k HP.
    With a cleric spamming sage pdef buff in heal combo I can have 13 or 14k pdef, can't remember.
    I have a mag+vit genie, 190 energy with a 2.7 recovery rate, chi skill on it. From full spark, I can tripple spark 3 times in a row with a bit of luck on pyro proc, and about 5 times during 2 minute times. That 25% dmg reduction on sage spark works wonders.

Yes, I tanked pretty much any FB you can name, 99 included. First attempts were a little shaky, but after I got the timings right it's been a breeze.
    I tanked almost everything up to 2-3 I think? I'm not sure, anyway, all the bosses needed to open the 3rd OHT map.

Any class can be a tank with the gear and refines available now. Some are doing it better, some take skill to be able to pull it off. Can be done? easily if you know what you do.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jiblet - Sanctuary
    Jiblet - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I'd not recommend doing it in the way the OP describes (nearly everything into vit), but at endgame it is possible to tank pretty much anything as a wiz including nirvana, TT, FB, and some worldbosses.

It is all based on build, gear, sharding and refines - I can't remember my exact stats but fullbuffed I have around 13.5k hp and 17-18k pdef (can't remember mdef sry)

I've still not managed to tank Harpy Wraith yet thob:cry
  • Alimion - Sanctuary
    Alimion - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    First answer of course...thats not your job.

However

80-94 when i was LA...HELL YEAH

from bh79-down bosses(no krimson/garg/pole or any other debuff boss)

Tanking was an abnormal Joy for during those levels, good times, good times.

Stygean was my favorite, very tricky, i would dare say Jiblet could alot o things now a days.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    First answer of course...thats not your job.

However

80-94 when i was LA...HELL YEAH

from bh79-down bosses(no krimson/garg/pole or any other debuff boss)

Tanking was an abnormal Joy for during those levels, good times, good times.

Stygean was my favorite, very tricky, i would dare say Jiblet could alot o things now a days.

I tank krimson/garg/pole while being arcane.. IJS
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Arma_Geddon - Heavens Tear
    Arma_Geddon - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I tank krim and garg, haven't tried pole... I wonder if I could now though?
    The doctor will see you now.
  • Alimion - Sanctuary
    edited July 2010
    I tank krimson/garg/pole while being arcane.. IJS

Sweet, maybe i'll try krimson, my HP is a little low, and i can never find a good purify cleric.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    lol, purify...
    tripple spark - hit hit hit hit. Crimson dead.
    Tyvm.
    next.

I don't need cleric at crimson. Usually when I help someone for that stupid quest (it's only a challenge when server opens, after that is just plain old stupid) I'm trying to get another 4 that need it and just solo it during 1 tripple spark. Quite funny actually seeing the newbs in awe after they all heard how hard it is to kill him.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    i tank TT partially with 7 vit and **** gear b:bye

i ask another wizard when i need a tank for krimson or pole/gau just to show ppl wiz can tank
    krimson killed me at 10%hp last time i tried it... (lvl97)
    ...didnt try 69 yet myself, i simply have no reason to go in there or a tank is available

once thing when u CAN do something
    but u dont wanna take all the time..

i rather go do something else instead of soloing blackhole/daily boss
    it just takes so much time D:
    i like potato
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    The problem is not tanking, because wizards have excellent defenses (12k+ pdef/mdef with +'d adorns) full buffed and can get upwards of 10-13k HP with the right gear, the problem is the DPS and aggro we hold compared to other classes. With interrupts you can expect to have aggro pulled from a +10 cv bow, even if you have a +11 nirvana weapon. Mages are not a DPS class, and thats why we don't tank a whole lot. Especially now with the 3.33+ APS craze, good luck holding any aggro at all.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alimion - Sanctuary
    edited July 2010
    lol, purify...
    tripple spark - hit hit hit hit. Crimson dead.
    Tyvm.
    next.

I don't need cleric at crimson. Usually when I help someone for that stupid quest (it's only a challenge when server opens, after that is just plain old stupid) I'm trying to get another 4 that need it and just solo it during 1 tripple spark. Quite funny actually seeing the newbs in awe after they all heard how hard it is to kill him.

Really now, i just may try that for laughs that would be wicked, and something i never tried before.
    And BTW Lol'ing at someone who has never tried something before instead of suggesting a different course of action really is the antithesis of what normal thread discussions, especially when it comes to enhancing a players ability through constructive advice, is really all about, no? or have i not given credit where credit is due.
  • Alimion - Sanctuary
    edited July 2010
    Just tried demon spark and attack, apparently a +5 denied fate may not be enough...was worth a try though. More power scotty
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited July 2010
    Just tried demon spark and attack, apparently a +5 denied fate may not be enough...was worth a try though. More power scotty

Ursa uses a +10 cv wand (last time I checked) and is lvl 100.. so he does have quite an advantage over you in terms of dps.
  • __Necro__ - Sanctuary
    __Necro__ - Sanctuary Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    The problem is not tanking, because wizards have excellent defenses (12k+ pdef/mdef with +'d adorns) full buffed and can get upwards of 10-13k HP with the right gear, the problem is the DPS and aggro we hold compared to other classes. With interrupts you can expect to have aggro pulled from a +10 cv bow, even if you have a +11 nirvana weapon. Mages are not a DPS class, and thats why we don't tank a whole lot. Especially now with the 3.33+ APS craze, good luck holding any aggro at all.

The answer?

Wizards built as pure 3.33+ APS BMs.
    OmgPwnage
  • H_hatake - Harshlands
    H_hatake - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    but there is another question here.....why my genie is stronger then ME?b:surrender

LOL my crit HIT is 13k with black ice dragon strike or tempest is this bad or good?b:cry
  • Mage_Up_Ass - Sanctuary
    Mage_Up_Ass - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    b:cold well 1 time i had to tank Quingzi b/c my squad had no barb and i could hold aggro and the cleric was spamming ironheart so it works if the boss doesnt hit over ur total hp >_<
  • __Necro__ - Sanctuary
    __Necro__ - Sanctuary Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    but there is another question here.....why my genie is stronger then ME?b:surrender

LOL my crit HIT is 13k with black ice dragon strike or tempest is this bad or good?b:cry

crit hit is 13k? O.O dude that is so fail. My normal black ice dragon hit 13-15k when I was level 60 with a +3 refine TT60 weapon.
    OmgPwnage
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited July 2010
    crit hit is 13k? O.O dude that is so fail. My normal black ice dragon hit 13-15k when I was level 60 with a +3 refine TT60 weapon.

normal hit is 13-15k? dude that is so fail. My normal black ice dragon hit 118k. Get over yourself.
  • FireRaider - Heavens Tear
    FireRaider - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Yay wizzie FTW