Holding myself back?

Options
KanariaRose - Archosaur
KanariaRose - Archosaur Posts: 67 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Psychic
Ok so im new to psy, or any class with this damage output really and its a bit overwhelming.

ive just started bh 39 with this character and i keep pulling. Sometimes on purpose. Like when a mob has a bit under half hp, i just open up on it and its dead before it can take two steps towards me. But other times...like when we were doing caclid...the flaming chicken in bh 39 , i fail at spelling. I let the tank build some aggro and used one aqua impact and it pulled him straight to me, i didnt even crit. So on boses after that i just kept and trapping and torrenting.

I suppose i could just use white voodoo on bosses, but that feels so lame .. helpXD one aqua impact should NOT pull lol

im pure build with my last weapon token weapon, if that helps
Post edited by KanariaRose - Archosaur on

Comments

• Anemone_ - Harshlands
    Anemone_ - Harshlands Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ok so im new to psy, or any class with this damage output really and its a bit overwhelming.

ive just started bh 39 with this character and i keep pulling. Sometimes on purpose. Like when a mob has a bit under half hp, i just open up on it and its dead before it can take two steps towards me. But other times...like when we were doing caclid...the flaming chicken in bh 39 , i fail at spelling. I let the tank build some aggro and used one aqua impact and it pulled him straight to me, i didnt even crit. So on boses after that i just kept and trapping and torrenting.

I suppose i could just use white voodoo on bosses, but that feels so lame .. helpXD one aqua impact should NOT pull lol

The way Psy damage works is by fast consecutive attacking, which also seems to be the way mobs calculate threat meaning Psys can be SOL sometimes in terms of aggro management.
    In FC for myself atm I'm not even worrying about aggro since I can solo mob pulls before they get to me anyway. b:chuckle

But for your level I recommend just not attacking as frequently, I know it sounds kinda lazy but it is really your best bet. It will save you on mana and help not kill the party! (Win Win!)

It will get slightly better at later levels though so just endure till then and try not to let it bother ya.
    Who doesn't love pie!?
  • volst
    volst Posts: 180
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Or you could... not use black voodoo.
  • /ra - Dreamweaver8
    /ra - Dreamweaver8 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    For mobs I tend to just wait until the group has done about half HP like you said, maybe a little sooner. I haven't had too many problems with that.

As for bosses, I usually throw out 2 or 3 Sand Traps / Torrents before I start actually attacking, and even then, I usually attack slower than normal just to be safe.

I've yet to have a boss turn on me, except when the tank dies. >.>;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr_Anderson - Lost City
    Mr_Anderson - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

So on boses after that i just kept and trapping and torrenting.

isn't our damage niiiice?
    yeah, for bosses go white voodoo, and your dps skills, occasionally throwing in a "poke" spell, maybe even a landslide to distrupt channeling.
    im pure magic too, just enough to wear armor and weapons, stick with it!
  • /ra - Dreamweaver10
    /ra - Dreamweaver10 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Going white voodoo during an instance is like competing in the tour de France with training wheels.

Yeah, you won't fall down, but you can hardly compete at all.

Just stick with Black Voodoo and learn how much you can get away with before you steal aggro. You use up much less MP that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roin - Harshlands
    Roin - Harshlands Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i quit soon as phys came to pwi but if they are like wiz with there damage like im told you will allmost allways need to hold back till you do things like TT when you have good barbs who know how to use there aggro skills and sometimes then also realy sucks when you want 2 afk things like archers and bm allways did =\ and if you pulled with 1 attack was it a barb auto attacking in cat form or something without useing agg skills or is phys > wiz dph?
  • Anemone_ - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i quit son as phys came to pwi but if they are like wiz with there damage like im told you will allmost allways need to hold back till you do things like TT when you have good barbs who know how to use there aggro skills and sometimes then also realy sucks when you want 2 afk things like archers and bm allways did =\ and if you pulled with 1 attack was it a barb auto attacking in cat form or something without useing agg skills or is phys > wiz dph?

Yes, Psys have a slight higher dps at higher levels.
    But! It's extremely small, and the reason why psys can pull aggro so much easier than a Wiz is purely because of the way threat is calculated in PWI. PWI threat comes from attack damage and speed of attacks in this game, meaning we pull extra hate from the speed of our attacks as well. (This is why sins/fist BM's can pull so easily as well.)
    Who doesn't love pie!?
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    unless one spell does so much dmg that you get aggro (in taht case maybe the tank doesnt do his job) using white voodoo is a waste of mana.
    you dont have to spam attacks constantly.
    use black and hit every 5 sec etc

also, you can use DoTs (even at mobs if you wiat until 50% of health)
    soulburn is a another alternative

about calcid (and trioc) a psy can tank them even in black with decent equipment and a good cleric
  • Exegesis - Heavens Tear
    Exegesis - Heavens Tear Posts: 721 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] OH really? What a surprise.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Welcome to the levels where you learn Aggro Control ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Anemone_ - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options

Awesome pic!

I don't wanna show off or anything, and not as good as yours.

........but.

http://yfrog.com/5820100718212029p b:cute
    Who doesn't love pie!?
  • Zevran_ - Lost City
    Zevran_ - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Awesome pic!

I don't wanna show off or anything, and not as good as yours.

........but.

http://yfrog.com/5820100718212029p b:cute

May i ask what attack u used?b:victory
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    want scary damage:

3 spark stone smasher in white voodoo while frenzied while mob is debuffed with:
    Heaven's flame
    extreme poison/Ocean's Edge(I think is the skill name)
    amplify damage
    cleric mag debuff(or if veno pet has same debuff.
    undine strike
    Elemental Weakness

But damn organizing the timing on all of that...
    It's also possible to add Tide Spirit into the mix if you're using White Tea to get the 2 sparks after 3 sparking if you follow up with cloud eruption... Which would mean extreme poison and elemental weakness must be coming from other sources.

Of course, I've never pulled off critting during this, and maxed out at 326k without 2 of the debuffs...
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • Anemone_ - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    want scary damage:

3 spark stone smasher in white voodoo while frenzied while mob is debuffed with:
    Heaven's flame
    extreme poison/Ocean's Edge(I think is the skill name)
    amplify damage
    cleric mag debuff(or if veno pet has same debuff.
    undine strike
    Elemental Weakness

But damn organizing the timing on all of that...
    It's also possible to add Tide Spirit into the mix if you're using White Tea to get the 2 sparks after 3 sparking if you follow up with cloud eruption... Which would mean extreme poison and elemental weakness must be coming from other sources.

Of course, I've never pulled off critting during this, and maxed out at 326k without 2 of the debuffs...

Alright so tell me. How is Stone smasher as a pvp move?
    How much did it cost you and do you think it's more useful then the other 100 skill?

Sorry for the questions but not many Psys have those yet. ^^
    Who doesn't love pie!?
  • Anemone_ - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    May i ask what attack u used?b:victory

That was my baby Aqua cannon, with a dg and cleric red ball. It wasn't a crit either.
    Who doesn't love pie!?
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Alright so tell me. How is Stone smasher as a pvp move?
    How much did it cost you and do you think it's more useful then the other 100 skill?

Sorry for the questions but not many Psys have those yet. ^^

Stone Smasher is much more useful than the other 100 skill, as far as pvp, I still prefer to 3 spark and spam the other aoes, especially due to the cast time on Stone Smasher, though using the full trio of 3 spark+Tide Spirit+Stone Smasher eliminates that in addition to changing the 800% bonus damage from 3 spark to 900%, there's just not that many opportunities to do that in a busy tw... at least not in situations where it'd matter much. The most useful places I've found for it at the moment are FF and Rebirth, not to mention how beautiful casting it looks in those situations.

As far as cost... 20 chrono pages at about 2m each(only farmed like 5 of them), 10 inks (1.1m), 5m spirit (I think) and 3m coin to learn... But I wasn't really paying attention, just learning all the skills when they came out.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • /ra - Dreamweaver15
    /ra - Dreamweaver15 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The thread about holding ourselves back turned into "How much damage can we do in FC? O:"

I love our community<3 b:chuckle
  • DrawtheTide - Heavens Tear
    DrawtheTide - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Going white voodoo during an instance is like competing in the tour de France with training wheels.

Yeah, you won't fall down, but you can hardly compete at all.

Just stick with Black Voodoo and learn how much you can get away with before you steal aggro. You use up much less MP that way.

the only times ive ever used white voodoo on bosses when the tanks were crappy. ive always used black voodoo, i use the tt60 +1 flawless sapphire. i usually attack 2 seconds after barb has and i dont have issues, but then again i dont spam crazy attacks, the only time i really lose aton of mana is when i have 2 sparks and full chi, tide spirit + regular skill + earth vector + spam until tide spirit runs out. but ive only ever taken aggro once and that was calcid, ending up tanking at 55 or something, barbs used roar halfway through, had aggro back for 2 seconds b:cuteb:victory
    Avatars: Name-Class-Guild-Server-lvl-Status
    AngelOfLies-Cleric-N/A-HT-79-Active mainb:victory
    DrawtheTide-Psy-N/A-HT-1X-Active now
    _CatGirl_-Veno-N/A-HT-62-Grinding alt, semi active
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-N/A-HT-3 (just started)- not very active