most level 29 skills underestimated?

Options
Yulk - Heavens Tear
Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
Ok... I summed up everything... about skills

BM's Mage bane ... I have no idea why people say this skill sucks... infact... I owned a lot of mobs, some bosses and even some 5x high DEX players with this skill thanks to 100% accuracy. It definitely got me liking this skill and making casters look silly. Although it could be better (should work on bosses, like assassin's rib strike)

BM's Vacuous palm... Slower speed means better ability to kite the melees and less of a problem to chase the kiters ,using your ranged I used it mostly in PVE, but once in duel to test out, I was around 3x at that time and tested against a barb with drake's ray and leaps. It wasn't a real fight though

BM's piercing winds... you got to be kidding me, it's an AOE, unless you don't know how to AOE with a spear

Archer's thundershock... first of all, idk why archers have metal attacks as a physical dps class, second, it lowers metal defense making both clerics and archers and other metal related attacks damage harder. I used it all the time which helpped me kill fast

Cleric's siren's kiss... these people got to be kidding me. Its an AOE immobilize making it deserve to cost one spark. It would of been OP otherwise. Furthermore, its very very very useful in solo kiting. But since its AOE, you have to watch where you cast it.

Barbarian's devour... ok, then you got to be crazy to underestimating it because of it costing 35 chi. This helped me kill faster than every other class after than bm and nuking archer (archer was fastest)

Barb's firestorm... which is sorta OP. I can't believe why barbs call firestorm, an AOE useless, this helps against heavy classes in PVP too. I use it a lot in AOEs with sunder, slam and swell

Venomancer's frost scarab... Thats a funny one, I find frost scarab one of the most OP skill so far for a veno, combining with summer sprint, you can literally kite without getting one single hit on you if your smart enough. My daughter successfully done that several times without a pet.

Venomancer's stunning blow... I completely disagree, this helps when your caught or stopping annoying archers. And of course in PVP against casters and archers making venoes in melee range is rather deadly when you face roll.

Is it because they cost 1 spark which is easy to gain?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
Post edited by Yulk - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

Archer's thundershock... first of all, idk why archers have metal attacks as a physical dps class, second, it lowers metal defense making both clerics and archers and other metal related attacks damage harder. I used it all the time which helpped me kill fast
    +1

Its very much underrated, Thunder Shock actually pairs nicely with Stormrage Eagoleon
    hit the wood mob once, then strike it with a thunder birdie and watch its HP drop lowlowlow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Kawaiiiii - Raging Tide
    Kawaiiiii - Raging Tide Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Do you still play on your bm?
    +10 w/ Tisha: youtube.com/watch?v=tKHuXP8LRFU&feature=plcp
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I am not even playing the game... not on my comp b:sad
    +1

Its very much underrated, Thunder Shock actually pairs nicely with Stormrage Eagoleon
    hit the wood mob once, then strike it with a thunder birdie and watch its HP drop lowlowlow

So someone does find thundershock useful too b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ok... I summed up everything... about skills

BM's Mage bane ... I have no idea why people say this skill sucks... infact... I owned a lot of mobs, some bosses and even some 5x high DEX players with this skill thanks to 100% accuracy. It definitely got me liking this skill and making casters look silly. Although it could be better (should work on bosses, like assassin's rib strike)

BM's Vacuous palm... Slower speed means better ability to kite the melees and less of a problem to chase the kiters ,using your ranged I used it mostly in PVE, but once in duel to test out, I was around 3x at that time and tested against a barb with drake's ray and leaps. It wasn't a real fight though

ORRRR here's an idea, use Bash so they can't do anything at all *gasp*.
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    BM's Mage bane ... I have no idea why people say this skill sucks... infact... I owned a lot of mobs,
    Or you can not waste any spark at all and still own mobs.
    some bosses
    You miss that often on bosses?
    and even some 5x high DEX players with this skill thanks to 100% accuracy.
    You mean you owned lvl 50 high Dex players who still don't really have much evasion at this level?
    It definitely got me liking this skill and making casters look silly.
    So even though they have the same range, instead of using the chi to stunlock them when you are right up in their face you use this silly skill?

See above post.
    BM's piercing winds... you got to be kidding me, it's an AOE, unless you don't know how to AOE with a spear
    Because mobs always line up in a straight line for your convenience.
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

Cleric's siren's kiss... these people got to be kidding me. Its an AOE immobilize making it deserve to cost one spark. It would of been OP otherwise. Furthermore, its very very very useful in solo kiting. But since its AOE, you have to watch where you cast it.

Is it because they cost 1 spark which is easy to gain?

I'll comment only on my class since I am sure others would comment for theirs -.-
    Umm, problem with Siren's Kiss is not only you'll need 1 spark, the casting range is almost in the melee range of the mobs. Who would want to cast an immobilize skill right at the face of the enemy? Then you'll waste time getting out of range and by the time you move out, the paralyze is already over.

I'd rather save up 2 sparks and own mobs from far b:surrender
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    yo why dont you stop posting and start leveling?
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The reason why some 29 skills are hated is because at all levels you have better uses for sparks. Fist BMs build chi fast, but you're better off using Bash/spark burst/sutra or something.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The only real use I've ever found for sirens kiss is using it after rounding up all the mobs in an fb19. Since it has a short cast it doesn't get interrupted all the time and it still 1hits all mobs for me.

As for the immobilize, it's so short it really isn't worth mentioning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear
    Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Anyone underestimate my aqua canon b:avoid
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    +1

Umm... you're kidding right? SE blows.

Everyone knows Thunder Shock is the opener for metal attacks, but Stormrage is one you shouldn't use because it's just horrible.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Costs a spark.

A whole spark.

If it does that, it had damn well better blow the mob away in a single shot.

Stunning blow doesn't stun for very long, frost only slows and not even reliably.

Damage-wise they both aren't all that good.

Special-use only, methinks. Dunno about the other classes.
  • Thistle_grey - Sanctuary
    Thistle_grey - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I love my Siren's Kiss
    "Imagination is more important than intelligence."
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I don't even keep Frost Scarab in my hotkeys anymore. Waste of time. Stunning Blow can be extremely useful, however, if the mob turns off pet and onto someone else... use this skill and back off, leaving only pet beating it, and it generally turns back onto pet. I don't bother except with high-level elite mobs though.

Devour is an extremely important spell for a barb. Increasing threat level makes it harder for DDs to steal aggro, and reducing phys def is a nice bonus. I think this skill is highly underestimated by a lot of people.

Siren's Kiss I have used, but not often. As posted above, you have to literally be in the mob's face to cast it. Thus you have to run away after the cast or risk a melee attack, which makes the immobilization useless. I only use it if I am AoEing stuff and other skills haven't cooled down, and I happen to already be close.

Can't say too much about the other skills as those are the only three chars I have of sufficiently high level to feel somewhat knowledgable about things. But I haven't used those skills on my BM since low levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Badazmofo - Dreamweaver
    Badazmofo - Dreamweaver Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    +1

please do not ever use this skill unless you have nothing better to do than spend 2 sparks to poke a friend...... realy thats all this skill is a DOT poke.... wtf pwi 2 sparks and its realy only a poke? b:cry not cool not cool at all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    frost scarabb:spit
    waste of chi... chi can be better spent elsewhere.
    The spark you use at that point, is better be send to the barb or cleric in squad, or even to a DD.

even if you're playing solo, you better save up a bit and double spark or something >.>
    For now I didn't bother lvling stunning blow though it is nice in duels sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Fruitluips - Lost City
    Fruitluips - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Topic starter is probably just up to his usual tricks, but I will say that Siren's Kiss doesn't get enough love. Anyone using it on melee mobs and basing the opinion off of that is... >_>

The AOE range is great for when you've got a few mobs on you at once. Pick the center one and SK will most likely hit the others unless you're dense enough to not get them huddled together. The other good part is you'll still be far enough away while casting to not make the mob switch to melee mode.

Siren's Kiss is also a good last resort skill against melee players when everything else is on cooldown and you just need one more good hit.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The problem with Frost Scarab is not so much that it's bad in itself but that the alternatives are so much better. A spark is too expensive since you can get a better damage output using that spark along with other scarabs and slow isn't really that useful. It might come in handy if your pet goes down but really there are more practical ways to deal with this, venos rarely kite. As for PvP there are certainly much better uses for that spark.

Stunning Blow can sometimes be used for PvP but it's really not that practical for PvE, i don't think that the skill is underrated.
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Topic starter is probably just up to his usual tricks, but I will say that Siren's Kiss doesn't get enough love. Anyone using it on melee mobs and basing the opinion off of that is... >_>

Its worse when you use it on a magical or ranged mob. WHile you run up to cast your Siren's Kiss, they are hitting you all the way...b:surrender

But I am not saying that its totally useless, but its too situational to be "loved"

Great place to use Siren's Kiss
    1. Aoe grinding(better after demon/sage with the 3.99 sparks capacity)
    2. While Zhenning and you are not the BB-er (we only have 3 aoes, siren's kiss is the best to stop mobs from killing your BB-er, make sure you have plume shell on)
    3. like what some other clerics said, last hit on a melee opponent in duels or tw
    4. cast on chicken so that aoe kicks sins out of stealth b:surrender

note that most of what i have mentioned is not really done at lvl 45(OP's level)...b:surrender
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    These skills are *fine* as everyone says. They're not *horrible*. I think Stormrage is the only one that unequivocally sucks, according to the archers I trust.

But I will present to you the scenario that most veteran, experienced, players have, and the reason why making a post like this isn't that helpful to newer players looking for advice.

1. Spirit is limited.
    2. Chi should be used wisely.
    3. Later skills use more chi, but have far better bonuses.

Okay with these three points, it makes NO sense to waste spirit leveling up these spells, that will max BEFORE endgame, being replaced later by harder hitting ones.

Most players, once they have excess spirit, go back and level these things later, and find situational uses for them. You are right in that they CAN be useful sometimes, but skilled gameplay also involves making the most efficient choices for our money, spirit, and combos. Just because a skill has a cool effect does not mean that the price outweighs it or that the chi cost can be ignored.

I hate to say what everyone else keeps telling you, but you have a world of a game that you have not even gotten to yet with your level. It's fine saying that you like the level 29 skills but kindly don't advise everyone to use them when you have not fully understood why people save their spirit for later skills.

And you'll probably say that you always grind so spirit shortage isn't a problem for you....well to most people, even those that don't "cheat", it gets to be near impossible to level all skills at once, so this advice applies.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    And you'll probably say that you always grind so spirit shortage isn't a problem for you....well to most people, even those that don't "cheat", it gets to be near impossible to level all skills at once, so this advice applies.
    Nonsense. The ratio of exp to spirit is always 1/5. That is, spirit is always "exp gained/5", the only exception being spiritual cultivation quests.

Grinding does NOT give you more spirit for your level than any other exp-gaining technique. The only way you can accumulate more spirit per level is to either:

1) Die a lot
    2) Dump exp in genies (like me)

b:bye
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^^ More or less my point...unless you want to massively hinder your exp, you're going to be short on spirit for awhile. Which makes leveling these skills rather counterproductive.
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    So I did good by keeping my Frost Scarab at level 4? xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cilan - Harshlands
    Cilan - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'll comment only on my class since I am sure others would comment for theirs -.-
    Umm, problem with Siren's Kiss is not only you'll need 1 spark, the casting range is almost in the melee range of the mobs. Who would want to cast an immobilize skill right at the face of the enemy? Then you'll waste time getting out of range and by the time you move out, the paralyze is already over.

I'd rather save up 2 sparks and own mobs from far b:surrender

Siren's is a scape skill in pve sometimes you will be surrender for many mobs so you use sirens and run away, sirens cast pretty fast.

I found this skill very usefull vs sins cuz it cast fast and have a decent range.
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I can't take this guy seriously...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SecretGem - Heavens Tear
    SecretGem - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I used to play a 9x BM and yeah what all the other BM's tell u is true. Ur better of using that 1 spark for Drakes Bash or saveing it for a Heavens Flame. I like the idea of using differnt skills and being orginal a little. I think everyone doenst want to be a clone of their class but in reality Drakes Bash is the only 1 spark move you should lvl as a BM tbh.

I wish they would buff the other skills and give them a bit more soemthing extra so u can put some practical use to them.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^^ More or less my point...unless you want to massively hinder your exp, you're going to be short on spirit for awhile. Which makes leveling these skills rather counterproductive.
    Yup sorry I quoted too much, was supposed to just reply to the part "you are grinding so spirit isn't a shortage for you" :)
  • Sanctam - Dreamweaver
    Sanctam - Dreamweaver Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I rarely rarely rarely use the skill Thundershock. I mainly PvE, which means that the only two things I usually use are spark and normal shocks. The only time I EVER use thundershock is in pvp on a heavy right before I use lightning strike. That's pretty much the only time I've found it useful, since both attacks are lightning. The damage gained from it is pretty negligible: at level 8, it's a 44% metal resistance reduction for 15 seconds. I tested this on a 100 cleric (hi lylfo) and got about 100 more damage. Sooo yeah. Not really worth the time it takes to cast in most situations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    So I did good by keeping my Frost Scarab at level 4? xD

I kept mine at lvl 1 and we are the same level.
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Chi is better used else-where. When I grind, I save up chi for sunder so I don't have to use HP pots or charm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh