AH item cancellation

Marmut - Heavens Tear
Marmut - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
I bid on skill book in AH and the money was returned saying it was cancelled after a few hours. I always thought when there are people already bidding you can't cancel the auction? Can somebody confirm this? It's not being outbid or bought out because the item still had 21 hours on it this afternoon and there was no buy now option either. The mail also said it was cancelled. b:angry
Post edited by Marmut - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• fulgida
    fulgida Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I believe you can cancel the auction until only an hour remains. Unless, of course, it gets sold with a maximum bid.

I saw one of my skills in the AH and I was going to bid 10x the current bid so I could get that skill, and I was prepared to go up to 30x, but it got cancelled before I entered my bid.
  • Kasumi_S - Heavens Tear
    Kasumi_S - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    2 hours to be exact b:victory
  • Shazaaam - Lost City
    Shazaaam - Lost City Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    the seller can cancell the auction if he doesnt like the offers but only if 2+ hours remaining on item.

the buyer cannot cancel his offer tho which is stupid why even have that option then?
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    the buyer cannot cancel his offer tho which is stupid why even have that option then?
    The button is to cancel tracking of the auction if you're outbid. Once you bid on an item, it shows up in the "my bids" screen, where you can track it if you are outbid. If you were outbid and the current bid is so high you are no longer interested, the cancel button will remove it from that screen.
  • BarbLord - Raging Tide
    BarbLord - Raging Tide Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I think being able to cancel your auction after someone has bidded on it is stupid i mean it means the minimum price you want for the item has been met so you lose any reason to complain at that point
    edited June 2010
    I think being able to cancel your auction after someone has bidded on it is stupid i mean it means the minimum price you want for the item has been met so you lose any reason to complain at that point
    I tend to think it's stupid too (despite having done it). But to be fair, most auction sites let you place a starting price, a (hidden) reserve price, and a buyout price. Bidding starts at the starting price; but if it doesn't reach the reserve price, the item does not sell.

The whole point of an auction is to have more than one person bid seriously on an item so it sells for at least the maximum one of those 2+ people is willing to pay. Not the minimum the seller is willing to accept. If the item sells for the minimum the seller is willing to accept (starting price with no competing bids), the seller would be better off just cat shopping it.

That's been the reason I've canceled a few auctions - it only got one bidder. I would rather eat the listing fee and place the item on a cat shop for my minimum sell price, rather than lose 5% of my minimum sell price as an AH fee. Well, my first preference would be to have 2+ people bid on it at AH, but barring that, cat shop.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    It's becuase they put it for lower than they are willing to accept with the hopes that a bid war will start and drive up the price. When that doesn't happen they just cancel the bid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • fulgida
    fulgida Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    It's becuase they put it for lower than they are willing to accept with the hopes that a bid war will start and drive up the price. When that doesn't happen they just cancel the bid.

Meanwhile, smart bidders tend to wait before they bid. (Unless they were like me and the auction end time was not favorable to them.)
  • Shazaaam - Lost City
    Shazaaam - Lost City Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    i bought my 3.0 aero for 5.25m waiting at ah npc til 3am my time -.- got super tired next day but totally worth it. b:victory (kinda 2months ago when was 9m for one)
  • BarbLord - Raging Tide
    BarbLord - Raging Tide Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    It stays pointless and annoying to be able to cancel when a bid is made
    as for bidding wars why not just put your minimum price higher if you don't want to sell lower

and @ Solandri again you could put your minimum bid higher that way you earn the same as in the catshop
    edited June 2010
    as for bidding wars why not just put your minimum price higher if you don't want to sell lower
    It's better now that they fixed the filters so a buyer can look for just the item he wants. So as a seller, you have a pretty good chance of having your item seen by people specifically looking to buy it. (I still hope they add a button which sorts the items by lowest price first.)

Previously, an item you listed was all mixed in with lots of other items (e.g. Dust of Stars would be mixed with all other TT90 mats). A low starting bid was a good way to make sure your item got people's attention. If your item was an average low price, people might skip it thinking they could find something better, then never get back to it. But if it was super-low, they were sure to bid on it or mark it as a favorite.
    and @ Solandri again you could put your minimum bid higher that way you earn the same as in the catshop
    Then the price would be 5% higher for the buyer than if I put it in my cat shop.