To the traitors ...

Options
Feiric - Harshlands
Feiric - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Psychic
Any former higher level wizards re-rolled here? If so, how is it?

I came back to this game about a month ago after about a year of other ventures in life. Now there's these fish people knocking off David Bowie with giant marbles. Not much left to the imagination of what the Assassins are like, but I'm more curious to what you think as a former higher level wizard.

Gotta be some of you out there who fit in this category.

For the sake of misunderstandings, this isn't a vs. topic. Just curious if you're happy with your decision and why.
Post edited by Feiric - Harshlands on

Comments

• Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Does cleric count b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I was never a high level wizard, but hey no one else has posted here yet so I might as well.

Think it was two years ago that I made a wizard and got it to 40 before I got sick of it and quit. I've always liked playing the magic caster classes and the tank classes, but meh...I don't think that's what I TRULY like playing.

I think what was missing for me was the fact that a Wizard is just pure math; it's all numbers. Can your high damage outdo your opponents high HP, and the fight is basically as simple as that. Wizards only silence the target or try to stay out of their range, and other than that it's just numbers.
    I think I've always truly preferred the classes that have tricks up their sleeves, and I get that with Psy. In the end, a Psy's damage caps whereas a wizard's damage keeps climbing, but we get more ailments and buffs to work with. A real plus on the side is that Psys are probably the easiest class to level in the game.

Best comparison I can give you is that I'm also fond of Blademasters. With Blademasters and their stun, their wide variety of attacks and their two damage altering buffs (marrow magic, marrow physical), I feel like there's a lot more strategy involved in a fight than with a wizard or a veno. Same thing can be said about Psy, imo.

The downsides I would say are that a wizard ends up having better base stats. Their physical defense becomes acceptable and their damage goes sky-high. A Psy's damage hits a ceiling and we're pretty damn squishy, so we're kinda reliant on that strategy and those tricks up our sleeves; I feel incredibly vulnerable if I don't have a spare spark on me.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=668182&highlight=psychic

a couple of well thought out posts on the subject here.. if you can wade through the usual dross
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I am feel amused with the thread name . . to the traitors. (lol)
    It's like something really bad to change what you play ? b:chuckle
    Or is it because psychic is a tideborn like assassin ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Reshanta - Sanctuary
    Reshanta - Sanctuary Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I was never a high level wizard, but hey no one else has posted here yet so I might as well.

Think it was two years ago that I made a wizard and got it to 40 before I got sick of it and quit. I've always liked playing the magic caster classes and the tank classes, but meh...I don't think that's what I TRULY like playing.

I think what was missing for me was the fact that a Wizard is just pure math; it's all numbers. Can your high damage outdo your opponents high HP, and the fight is basically as simple as that.

It feels that way with psy lol.

"Will I kill it in 4 shots before it 2-shots me?"
    Lonely man with a big heart.
  • Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear
    Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Except you got chance to seal,silence, reflect dmg and cut the dmg you take (soul of ret, vengeance, white voodoo), soulburn, immun, stun, slow and so on.
    At least that s what i think he meant by
    strategy and those tricks

Not saying wizz don t have strategy or anything, but we have more tricks to play with, i also like that better than just high dmg.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Except you got chance to seal,silence, reflect dmg and cut the dmg you take (soul of ret, vengeance, white voodoo), soulburn, immun, stun, slow and so on.
    At least that s what i think he meant by

Not saying wizz don t have strategy or anything, but we have more tricks to play with, i also like that better than just high dmg.

Seriously. I mean we can slow (three skills), freeze, stun (two skills), silence, reflect damage, resist physical damage and make it suicide for the opponent to attack us.

Long story short:

Wizard focuses on good stats. Highest DPH in the game and their end-game defense is pretty good by robe standards. You'll probably wanna simply kill the enemy before ailments have time to get involved in the battle.

Psy focuses on skills. Stuns, silence, physical damage immunity, Soulforce-based damage...what more could you want? There's all sorts of different strategies and possibilities for a Psy.
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Soul Force is what making psychic different from wizard or any mage class.
    What needed is really high soul force, guess that's why psychic don't have direct escape skill. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ugh. From what it sounds like, I'm glad to be a wizard haha. I hate messing with buffs and debuffs and whatnot if it's like more than five that you gotta worry about. Sounds like this class even has self-debuffs if you think about it. No thanks. It's mostly built in with the wizard after 89 cult.

I don't understand what this soulforce thing is though. Sounds like just another thing you have to worry about and spend money on, from an outside perspective. Is it built in retroactively to already existing gear for psychics?

Also, no I don't think it's bad to switch classes lol. I was just curious what someone well-experienced in both classes would have to say about the comparison.

I guess I can see how it would be a fun class with the faster spell flinging, though.

Gotta go. Still wanna hear more though. If anyone has anything to talk about that hasn't been touched on in other topics though, lay it down.
  • Reshanta - Sanctuary
    Reshanta - Sanctuary Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't know what that soulforce stat is either. All I know is I have 1500 right now.
    Lonely man with a big heart.
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't know what that soulforce stat is either. All I know is I have 1500 right now.

SF = Soul Force

Soul Force used on the following skill :

Soul of Vengeance (reflect 8% of SF when get attacked, damage taker lost mana by 0,4% of SF)

Soul of Stunning (self buff, stun those who attack you for 1 second, every 5000 SF increase stun time by 1 second, stun will cost you 100 mana then Stunning buff will disappear)

Soul of Silence (have chance to silence attacker for 3 second, SF determine the chance, drain damage taker mana for *unknown* when attacker get silenced and the SoSilence buff will disappear)

Soul of Retaliation (self buff, when you receive bad status the attacker also get the bad status, reduce damage taken by 0,5 of SF and reflect damage by 0,5 of SF, the buff gone after 1 successful reduction & reflect, drain damage taker mana by 100 when the effect successfully working)

Soulburn (no self buff, you cast buff to target, each time the target attack you he or she receive damage equal to your SF, last 8 second)

Lv 100 Psychic has 15000 Soul Force.
    Now if Lv 100 Psychic you can +12 his or her all equipment he or she will have 55560 Soul Force.
    With that much Soul Force will you attack psychic when soulburn active ? b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options

Lv 100 Psychic has 15000 Soul Force.
    Now if Lv 100 Psychic you can +12 his or her weapon the he or she will have 50000 Soul Force.
    With that much Soul Force will you attack psychic when soulburn active ? b:surrender

Sure, why not?
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sure, why not?

Sorry Mighty Mr.Wizard i don't have high lv psychic and psy is not my main, i am also not a heavy cash shopper or hardcore player, so find someone that has 50k soul force. (if you can b:laugh)
    By the way it still reduced by PVP reduction about 70% or 85% and reduced by physical defense. (oh you a wizard you have stone barrier for 2x phy defense or 2,5x phy defense on demon, that nice)

So if psy has 50k SF : 50000 damage
    PVP reducetion by 85% = 7500 damage
    In the end it still reduced by physical defense but i dunno how it counted (not like phy damage) and the fact that soulburn damage is reduced by phy def is still not 100%

Edit = Forget to add about SoStunning since it also gain massive bonus from high SF.
    With 50k SF, SoStunning should be able to stun for 11 second (each 5k SF = 1 second stun), but it still bugged and stun for less time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sure, why not?
    You are welcome to attack, make my job easier =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear
    Kai_Umi - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    FYI +12 weapon is more like +15k SF and so 15+15= 30 not 50 b:chuckle
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Lol maybe I'll give it a shot and get first hand experience. Right now I'm sticking it out in PVE until I can reach my demon path for the most part ... So close ...
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sure, why not?

The moment Soulburn is on, you either run, or if you can, you OHKO the Psy. Those are your only options, really.
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited June 2010
    Options
    FYI +12 weapon is more like +15k SF and so 15+15= 30 not 50 b:chuckle

Oh right thx for correction, i forget to add all equip +12 not just weapon. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]