PWI Wiki - Regarding Guide's/Monitoring

RedsRose - Lost City
RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Since PM's have not worked, I am going to post this here...

PWI Wiki was, for the most part, a project of eatwithspoons.

Since the departure, it has become obvious that no-one seems to be monitoring the Wiki.

I for one wrote a Genie Guide (of which updated information is here on the forums) and asked that it be closed so that no edits could be made. I have the PM's between eatwithspoons and I in regards to this request and the full-fillment of this request.

Having said that, my Genie Guide here on the forums is 100% updated and yet the one on the PWI Wiki is not. I would like the opportunity to update the information for those that may or may not see my guide here on the forums.

The only way to do that is to arrange a time for the Guide to be momentarily unlocked so that I can input the coding for the changes.

Therefore....who do I need to PM in order to make arrangements? I would like to keep this closed again once I have made the proper changes.

Who is monitoing/"in charge of" the Wiki?

Thanks,
~ Rose
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
Post edited by RedsRose - Lost City on

Comments

• Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Who is monitoing/"in charge of" the Wiki?

think you will probably find the outcome to be nobody :P
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    think you will probably find the outcome to be nobody :P

Then I'll volunteer...

Someone needs too imo or scrap it...b:surrender

Thats and those guides are a reflection of the ppl that write them...I want it to be as correct as possible...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear
    Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear Posts: 916 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Then I'll volunteer...

^ Sounds like you have a lot of time to fix all that. I personally don't use the wiki, but sure if you're up for the job, I wouldn't mind voting for you.
    I call it how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thanks Santacruz! :D
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    ^ Sounds like you have a lot of time to fix all that. I personally don't use the wiki, but sure if you're up for the job, I wouldn't mind voting for you.

Lol...thank you.

I am just fortunate at my job to have opportunities, since conference calls can consume my day. And a 2 monitors help b:chuckle

I just don't think it should be there not being looked at at all...b:surrender

It was designed and implemented with (imo) great potential then forgotten. There is a bit that can be fixed and I think it should be or get some people to help with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    As i remember - it was the event about wiki's content. Wiki created, event ended => noone care about actual info. Well, almost noone, but number of people who edit articles too low. Sometimes i wanna edit wiki but my english not good for it and... yes, can't answer "Why?". I mean - can't really understand why to do it for commercial project(pwi game). May be because havn't enough free time.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    As i remember - it was the event about wiki's content. Wiki created, event ended => noone care about actual info. Well, almost noone, but number of people who edit articles too low. Sometimes i wanna edit wiki but my english not good for it and... yes, can't answer "Why?". I mean - can't really understand why to do it for commercial project(pwi game). May be because havn't enough free time.

I know but IF there was someone to contact or anything, they can make the changes and even help verify for you what could be off/wrong/etc.

And yes there was a contest, but it was more for getting it going. I know some ppl do use it and it is even linked here on the main site.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2010
    the passion to want to do/achieve something i guess
    edited June 2010

Does that mean our passion is to troll forum? b:chuckle And didn't say you'd be sleeping in like an hour? :P

Whoops, I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Sorry Reds.
    I call it how I see it.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010

Sure, but also for me any guide that I have written is a reflection of myself = if information is wrong, I want to fix it.

Why should I have to direct people to a non-stickied post or have them find it here when the Wiki should be readily available? And with the same, easier to find, information...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2010
    Does that mean our passion is to troll forum? b:chuckle And didn't say you'd be sleeping in like an hour? :P

just gonna finish up my drink and grab something to eat and il be off to bed ^^

also good luck rose, tbh i think your gonna need it (you know what i think of pwe :P)
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    just gonna finish up my drink and grab something to eat and il be off to bed ^^

also good luck rose, tbh i think your gonna need it (you know what i think of pwe :P)

I know and thank you very much!

Have a good night :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2010
    Come to think of it, I believe a while back some normal gamers were actually kind of updating the wiki. You'll have to use the Search button of the forums to figure out who it was though because I can't recall where I read it from on the forums. So I do believe gamers can add into the wiki, just editing of GM posts is not available.
    I call it how I see it.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    Come to think of it, I believe a while back some normal gamers were actually kind of updating the wiki. You'll have to use the Search button of the forums to figure out who it was though because I can't recall where I read it from on the forums. So I do believe gamers can add into the wiki, just editing of GM posts is not available.

You can, but like mine, I requested it specifically closed.

Spoons obliged and therefore anytime I wanted a change, I pm'd him when I was ready and he PM'd me when open and I did to him once I wanted it closed.

Some people asked for it closed because there was slightly more to it then just basic writing (nothing against that).

I want mine to stay closed, I just want to make arrangements to fix a few things then have it closed again...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2010
    Sounds like you need to jab Frankie with a spork a few times then to have him help you open it and close it again.
    I call it how I see it.
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like you need to jab Frankie with a spork a few times then to have him help you open it and close it again.

frankie actually quoted me earlier on being right about something, that's how bad its gotten b:chuckle

and yes jab him many times >:D
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010

b:surrender I have pm'd

But I also want to know IF it is being watched or if it is a "lost cause"/"forgotten"...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Yes for Rose helping! b:victory

I'll vote for you too if they ever made a poll or who to choose (Idk if that would happen)

Your guide is pretty helpful and I think you'd be great if you updated the Wiki. ^^

It's nice of you to think of helping b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    Yes for Rose helping! b:victory

I'll vote for you too if they ever made a poll or who to choose (Idk if that would happen)

Your guide is pretty helpful and I think you'd be great if you updated the Wiki. ^^

It's nice of you to think of helping b:cute

Tyvm...I just want the updated information from the forums here to be reflected on the Wiki Guide. b:sad

b:surrender Call it perfectionism but why should one be complete atm and the other not be....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    RedsRose for president. b:chuckle
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010
    RedsRose for president. b:chuckle

b:shocked

Even the thought is scary...b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    RedsRose, I can unprotect your Genie Guide for editing, but I believe that it's a bad idea to be constantly switching between protected/unprotected for edits.

Really, the whole point of a Wiki is that players can create and edit when necessary. Articles should be in a constant state of update, especially when they are being made for an ever-changing MMO.

So if you'd like me to unprotect your article, I'd be happy to, but I will not be protecting anything unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Thanks, and please direct all PWI wiki concerns to me via PM if possible.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Nice to hear frankie...

In my opinion, unless there is serious abuse or vandalism, all pages should currently be non-protected except for perhaps the front page.

If you are looking for a community liaison or something to take off some of the load I can see Sangodoc is extremely active on the wiki and recommend using him in some more official way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I agree with Astrelle. I'm always logging on to see what I can do for assist (username's Setantasrose) but most of the pages I have info for editing are all protected or locked, or something to that nature.

Sango is pretty active on the forum. If he were like deputy Moderator or something, that would be VERY VERY helpful, instead of having to bug the already seriously overloaded Moderators to do it for us.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    RedsRose, I can unprotect your Genie Guide for editing, but I believe that it's a bad idea to be constantly switching between protected/unprotected for edits.

Really, the whole point of a Wiki is that players can create and edit when necessary. Articles should be in a constant state of update, especially when they are being made for an ever-changing MMO.

So if you'd like me to unprotect your article, I'd be happy to, but I will not be protecting anything unless there is a very good reason to do so.

I have to agree with this. A locked/unlocked/locked/unlocked Wiki isn't a Wiki at all. If somebody would rather their article not be challenged or altered by somebody else, then by all means post it somewhere else, but a Wiki is supposed to represent community knowledge.

Personally, I've been keeping the Wiki article on refining up-to-date whenever I've figured out new facts about refining, but I've also left in things written by others that I personally know to be false (ie. Duke's rumours) because people are still interested in sharing that knowledge. It wouldn't be a Wiki if I decided to trump everybody else's contributions to the topic, regardless of whether or not I feel I'm an expert on the subject.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • KissAndKill - Dreamweaver
    KissAndKill - Dreamweaver Posts: 750 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Would also be nice if the Psychic Speed Tank build was updated as well, but I don't have the resources to make a build from level 1 to 100 or so. I'm busy enough with my faction and venomancer.

There's an error with the amount of points you get with it:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Psychic_Speed_Tank_Build&diff=73562&oldid=66572
    There once a time when I cared about getting to the top quickly as possible to help others. Now, I take it slow, and don't worry about having nothing to do. There's always something to do in an MMORPG, especially if you are high level. PK'ing is for those who desire to inflate their egos. True friendship comes from helping one-another, rather than to start rivalries.

It takes 315300 Mysterious Chips to make one warsoul weapon, if you have a 100% success rate.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2010

Even some standard Wiki's are locked.

However, I choose to have it locked because I have seen Wiki's go terribly wrong with unnecessary and information that was insanely wrong. Have you seen some of the guides on this Wiki? b:shutup

Should it remain open, the updating will no longer would fall on me and I will let it be...

Keep in mind though...we were given this option when we initially were putting thinks on this...were it not an option then we wouldn't be here...

One reason I am not a huge fan of Wiki's in the first place. I will PM you to unlock it, at that point, it is up to the community...

@ WarrenWolf --> Leaving information known to be false in a Wiki imo defeats the purpose. People go there for information that is as correct as possible. You are misleading them if you know information to be wrong and you leave it there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Mediawiki have Patrolling mechanism. It can help against vandalism.
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    LOL, thanks for the recommendations on making me some sort of moderator. It seems like whenever I get involved in something on the Internet, someone ends up making me a mod. b:chuckle

I've been monitoring the PWI wiki as best I can, removing the occasional spam and vandalism, plus fixing all sorts of errors in spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, formatting, and other problems. Also, Vitenka (Vitenks), Paramedic (Supprt), Born_Free (Setantasrose), myself, and a few others have been creating new entries and updating old entries. If you haven't visited the wiki for a while, please take another look. Here's a link to my slightly improved suggestion for the frontpage: Main Page/sandbox

Anyways, RedsRose, Frankieray unprotected your wiki entry now. I made a few updates to it based on my earlier suggestions on the discussion page before I read this; I hope you don't mind.

Now if we could get all of the other pages unprotected that are listed in the Unprotection Requests section I'd be much happier. I'm very glad that Frankieray is finally getting around to the wiki, since it is a valuable resource for the game.

I'm hoping that eventually they get the wiki software updated, as we're about a year and a half out of date, and there are a few features that don't work properly. There are also a few extensions that would make creating templates and other things much easier/nicer.

As always, if you think the wiki is missing something or has something wrong, do something about it! It's a community resource, and if everyone just adds a little bit every so often, it will improve by leaps and bounds before you know it.

Thank you!
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    LOL, thanks for the recommendations on making me some sort of moderator. It seems like whenever I get involved in something on the Internet, someone ends up making me a mod. b:chuckle

I've been monitoring the PWI wiki as best I can, removing the occasional spam and vandalism, plus fixing all sorts of errors in spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, formatting, and other problems. Also, Vitenka (Vitenks), Paramedic (Supprt), Born_Free (Setantasrose), myself, and a few others have been creating new entries and updating old entries. If you haven't visited the wiki for a while, please take another look. Here's a link to my slightly improved suggestion for the frontpage: Main Page/sandbox

Anyways, RedsRose, Frankieray unprotected your wiki entry now. I made a few updates to it based on my earlier suggestions on the discussion page before I read this; I hope you don't mind.

Now if we could get all of the other pages unprotected that are listed in the Unprotection Requests section I'd be much happier. I'm very glad that Frankieray is finally getting around to the wiki, since it is a valuable resource for the game.

I'm hoping that eventually they get the wiki software updated, as we're about a year and a half out of date, and there are a few features that don't work properly. There are also a few extensions that would make creating templates and other things much easier/nicer.

As always, if you think the wiki is missing something or has something wrong, do something about it! It's a community resource, and if everyone just adds a little bit every so often, it will improve by leaps and bounds before you know it.

Thank you!

Requested pages have been unprotected, please let me know how else I can be of assistance b:victory