Understanding Aggro in City of Abominations

Options
Cholla - Harshlands
Cholla - Harshlands Posts: 132 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
So, today, I found myself tanking four bosses, and I would like to know if anyone can explain how aggro works in there.

Specifically, I am fighting a monster, and it is about a third dead, and someone else comes in with a pack of bosses, and all of a sudden he vanishes and I am tanking all of his bosses (one of which interrupts my attacks and another wants to melee me).

What options do I have for situations like this? (I mean besides the obvious one which is drink a lot of potions.)

Any hints would be appreciated.

(This was not an entirely bad thing -- if I had managed them slightly differently, I think I would have gotten 100+ astral orbs from the run, so I am chalking up tonight under "learning experience". But, still, I would like to understand how this works.)
Post edited by Cholla - Harshlands on

Comments

• Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Basically if one is near you, it will attack you if no one else has aggro on it regardless if you had attacked it or not. It had happened many times with the squads I was in where people aggro mobs by accident and reluctantly lures it to our area as they try to lose the mob.

All mobs do have a aggro time limit and range in CoA
    (Info is from PWI Database)
    - Aggro Time: 15 secs
    - Aggro Distance: 45 m

I recommend you have someone in the group with holy path and speed pots (even better a barb or veno in animal form) to lure it away and try to stay 45m away from it for at least 15sec if it does happen.

When someone dies, s/he is randomly sent to some place in the instance (this is why they appear to have just vanished to you). Some try to make their way back to the squad and in the process aggro a mob that is left untouched by people if it has some type of damage immunity. Also remember that often times people don't even know what the instance is and it's their very first time in there without a clue what's happening and accidentally aggro things.

I often get upset when it happens and we don't have a cleric in the squad to keep us alive, but I know those people didn't do it on purpose :) When ever we begin, I often go over things with my squad for those who are new to the instance to not attack anything else that comes into our area. If it does happen, have the entire squad move to a remote area of the room away from the path of travelers.