Can BMs replace Barbs as Tanks

Options
2»

Comments

• _Neve_ - Heavens Tear
    _Neve_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    its easier for a barb too hold agro than it is for a bm, they just have the skills for it.
    even though fist bms do pretty good cause of their attack speed. axe bms have alot more trouble holding agro than fist bms do. exspecially later with the -int gear and alpha male almoust any bm can do a pretty good job.
    i always prefer barbs tanking - i just feel safer^^ even though i must say i really enjoy tanking myself when im on my little 75 axe bm - and when the rest of the squad just slows down with the attacking a bit she usually does a pretty good job :)
  • Daose - Harshlands
    Daose - Harshlands Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well, I divide tanking in two two areas, single's and hordes.

If there are multiple mobs, I've found that a BM is much better with crowd control due to the amount of AoE's they possess, so you don't have to worry about the cleric getting hunted down.

For tanking 1 mob/bosses, I think Barbs are better simply due to aggro skills and higher HP. Although as some have said -int fist keeps aggro pretty well.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

Leeeroooyy Jennkinnnnsss

At least he has chicken.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

must spend a lot of time in the FB that has all the KFC chickens in it! ^_^

At least he has chicken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    this is the kind of thread that pisses people off.

can bms replace barbs as tanks?
    can sins replace archer as DDs? even ranged DDs?
    can psychics replace wizards?
    which is better DD? bm or sin? wizard or psy?
    can venos replace a whole squad? or is that BMs now?
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • LmmortaIity - Heavens Tear
    LmmortaIity - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Rcilis on Heavens Tear can...13k unbuffed hpb:shocked
  • hopaqo
    hopaqo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

Don't see why it should. It is important question something not just me many interested in. Tanking is generally left to Barbs simply because of their inherent build. However you hear comments that BMs can do pretty good job too. So simple question anyone knowledgeable please give us your insights, is it feasible, pros/cons, etc etc.

So again why?? Anyone can simply ask any question they want and if someone does not like a question then simply free not to answer it. There are many who are genuinly ineterested in answers and insights.

All the questions you listed are legitimate questions and everyone simply free to ask if they want to, and we're simply free if we want to answer or not.
  • XxIfritxX - Lost City
    XxIfritxX - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lol ...depend on boss I say...
    lets say same Lv BM and barb for a drum boss in HH ...BM imight get 1 shotted from drum first hit LoL....
    All my Goals in Life Turned to be Offside b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArchSeraph - Dreamweaver
    ArchSeraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Early on, BMs will not compare to Barbs, as early play is based mostly on the composition of your stats, while equipment isn't as important. Early BMs lack the HP, defense, and aggro-control skills that Barbs have, which make them ineffective tanks.

Later on, the game shifts to a focus on gear over level, and it is indeed hard to compete with just about anything that has the damage output of an effective interval character. I find that competent barbs are more effective than BMs because they use their experience as a tank throughout the game to the table, while BMs just double-click -> spark -> double-click and hope it maintains aggro. Should they lose it, it takes time to reacquire, and most BMs simply run around trying to reacquire it as they don't have the skills necessary to grab it instantly (such as Roar, unless they are tank-minded and use Alpha Male).

BMs can be effective tanks at higher levels (85+, in my opinion), however that doesn't mean that competent barbs have lost their place. It just means that squads aren't reliant on barbs in their composition at that point.
  • sixftbadger
    sixftbadger Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Surely any 'tank' is only ever as good as the elf throwing heals at it? ;)
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

I agree with you... BM maybe good at aggro with only by -intervals gears, barbs are naturals at tanks. There is pros and cons about every class. Barb will never be replaced by a BM or herc or anything. What would barbs be for anyways if they can't tank? DD with Armageddon? NTY I don't like using such a skill designed for Leroy Jenkins. Besides, barbs are better at keeping aggro in AOE IMHO, only a dumb barb would try and aggro one at a time, barbs can spark faster than BMs, no matter how hard BMs try. Beastial rage is the answer, that will make them perma spark really fast. BMs always need heals, barbs don't sometimes, depends on the situation.

+1 to this... + I am not mad at the OP or threads like this at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Surely any 'tank' is only ever as good as the elf throwing heals at it? ;)
    Nope, Look at Cheezdude, high interval tanks dont need heals for most bosses. hell wiz heal will be enough for a large portion of bosses
    I agree with you... BM maybe good at aggro with only by -intervals gears, barbs are naturals at tanks. There is pros and cons about every class. Barb will never be replaced by a BM or herc or anything. What would barbs be for anyways if they can't tank? DD with Armageddon? NTY I don't like using such a skill designed for Leroy Jenkins. Besides, barbs are better at keeping aggro in AOE IMHO, only a dumb barb would try and aggro one at a time, barbs can spark faster than BMs, no matter how hard BMs try. Beastial rage is the answer, that will make them perma spark really fast. BMs always need heals, barbs don't sometimes, depends on the situation.

+1 to this... + I am not mad at the OP or threads like this at all.

No fast nirvana squad has a barb tank, unless its a fist barb. they're replaced. look at 3-3s now, its mostly fist bms tanking(or tanking the runs that are literally 3 times as fast) WB..Lol Also fist BM or ranged archer most are tanked that way most effectively.
    Barb can spark faster then BM? So the ability to generate 375chi in 15 seconds is something a barb can do continuously? mkayyyy
    Bms need less heals then barbs sorry buddy, triple spark regains hp, and some use healing fists, the sage ones take 25% less damage too so...ya.. b:bye
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lets say same Lv BM and barb for a drum boss in HH ...BM imight get 1 shotted from drum first hit LoL....

i spank 1-3 drum

all night long d^.^b
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Vaktoth - Sanctuary
    Vaktoth - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i spank 1-3 drum

all night long d^.^b

At your current level of course, how about when you were 60?
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    At your current level of course, how about when you were 60?

60 = 1-1. Unless you're trying to say 60 barb is able to tank a higher TT instance someone else must open. Course at that point, why would they be taking the 60 barb instead of another tank who is of level?
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Mik_scorpius - Heavens Tear
    Mik_scorpius - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    BM's can, very correctly, tank a lot. And, as said, barbs are specialized tankers, so they're better at tanking single targets due to their ability to sustain huge damage and keeping aggro.

BM's excell in other areas, such as AoE control, stun, DD'ing, and reservetanking. If anything goes wrong, a BM can usually save the day. In the cases where there are lots of mobs, BM's often have the tank role since we (axe version) get aggro on most mobs with heavy AoE.

Barbs can tank most single bosses np - Their strength lies in the ability to take and hold aggro more efficiently than any other class. They can also take heavy punishment from high crit hits before going down.

As for the discussion of other classes - certainly, you can always argue for some class to be better than some other class, but usually you can do with another class. If you need a DD there are many options - if you need a tank there likewise are options. Cleric is the only one
    that is actually always needed (unless the tanker is a veno of course).

Please stop these endless discussion about what class is better than the other - all classes have their strengths, and it's in using the variety of classes and builds available that you have fun in this game - don't limit yourselves to stereotypes.

And lastly, as respond to a question earlier:
    Yes, BM's can tank FB59. I personally can solo it with only BM buff unwined, so yes we can tank it. We can also tank FB69, 79 and 89 - and probably 99 too (never tried). The bosses we have difficulties with are bosses such as Lord of Percussion (drum) because of his high crits. Aside from that, with a good cleric, we can do virtually the same as barbs.
    PWI will continue - in one way or the other. I'm just glad I found a balanced server now that I enjoy - naming is illegal, but PM's are welcome.

Only reason I log in still is also just to say hi to friends.

[SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3036252001&dateline=1291402639[/SIGPIC]
  • hopaqo
    hopaqo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

Please stop these endless discussion about what class is better than the other - all classes have their strengths, and it's in using the variety of classes and builds available that you have fun in this game - don't limit yourselves to stereotypes.

Like I mentioned above it is not BMs better than Barbs or Barbs better than BMs. But like question clearly stated how are BMs when it comes to Tanking. Solely anylyzing and comparing Tanking capabilities of Barbs and BMs.
    Surely more in depth knowledge we have the better.

And lastly, as respond to a question earlier:
    Yes, BM's can tank FB59. I personally can solo it with only BM buff unwined, so yes we can tank it. We can also tank FB69, 79 and 89 - and probably 99 too (never tried). The bosses we have difficulties with are bosses such as Lord of Percussion (drum) because of his high crits. Aside from that, with a good cleric, we can do virtually the same as barbs.

Did you solo FB59 when you were L59, and also did you find it more challenging Tanking yourself than suppose if a Barb was Tanking and you were DD. What about BHs, TTs for example. Have you tried Tanking them or know any BMs that do Tank.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    hopaqo wrote: »
    Did you solo FB59 when you were L59, and also did you find it more challenging Tanking yourself than suppose if a Barb was Tanking and you were DD. What about BHs, TTs for example. Have you tried Tanking them or know any BMs that do Tank.

BM can tank all BH 100s as can archer and wiz (well geared sins too now)
    TTs...BMs can tank all TT boss much harder but doable for archer and sin too
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A lvl 62 and under completed a FB59 with a BM tank. They were using swords, so DD had to hold back a bit. We tried using the wizzie to tank the water boss, but not enough health so ended with BM tanking that as well. Other than that one part, went pretty easy. So doable.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Susylu - Heavens Tear
    Susylu - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,786 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    BM can tank all BH 100s as can archer and wiz (well geared sins too now)
    TTs...BMs can tank all TT boss much harder but doable for archer and sin too

I have yet to meet a bm that can tank certain world bosses (not enough hp for it) but other than that we can tank just about anything yeah.

Then again with the right gear, you can tank just about anything with the melee classes.
  • Mik_scorpius - Heavens Tear
    Mik_scorpius - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I have yet to meet a bm that can tank certain world bosses (not enough hp for it) but other than that we can tank just about anything yeah.

Then again with the right gear, you can tank just about anything with the melee classes.

Indeed!

Again, it is pointless to talk about what classes can do what. With the right gear all classes can tank and DD insanely! Build and gear plays a huge role in this game. The class skills are just the third of the three determining factors: Gear, build, skills. And skills are the only ones that are 100% determined (even though you can choose your focus of course).

And as a respond to your post, hopaqu, then no - I did NOT solo FB59 at lvl 59. Honestly no class can do that. I can solo the FB at my present level and ever since I was 90 (as said, gear means a lot).
    However, my cleric could solo his own BH29's at lvl 45 b:laugh
    PWI will continue - in one way or the other. I'm just glad I found a balanced server now that I enjoy - naming is illegal, but PM's are welcome.

Only reason I log in still is also just to say hi to friends.

[SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3036252001&dateline=1291402639[/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For the most part at 90+, anything can be consider a tank with the right gear.

Barbs are just.....there now. lol

Archers, BMs and Sins with very nice -interval gear can make anything ALOT faster.

Want 20 minute Nirvana runs or very short 3-3 runs? Have a fist BM/Archer/Sin tank. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Jiblet - Sanctuary
    Jiblet - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hey, don't forget us wizzies...everybody KNOWS that we're the best tanksb:laugh