Point of Barbarians?

frosty0908
frosty0908 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
I started playing here around two months ago now and when I started I loved my barbarian I was under the impression that our sole purpose was to tank bosses but now I am up to 62 I find that alot of 7x levels seem to insisit they tank bosses in instances. I am not a good damage dealer I may cause a nice amount of damage but compared to other classes I do not compete. I find it rather annoying when this happens as it is denying me of what I came here to do and that is to tank I do not enjoy the damage my barbarian deals out I do enjoy being hit sevrel times and not seing my health bar drop and the sattisification of knowing that I played a major role in the bosses death next to the cleric that would of been healing me.

When I play with Veno's I keep in mind that one of there roles is to pull mobs and even though I have zeal I try not to use it as I like them to think they have a purpose in the instance rather than someone just trying to show off "HAHAH LOOK AT ME MA I CAN TANK THIS BOSS" ... Come on people let the classes do what they do best and let them do what there role is meant for I am not talkin about magical bosses here I understand why a more magical def class would be better of tanking them.

Opinions please?
Post edited by frosty0908 on

Comments

• ChaoticEnvy - Heavens Tear
    ChaoticEnvy - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Point of Barbs ..... Your HP buff

/thread
  • frosty0908
    edited May 2010

/thread

Great if thats all we have to look foward to now we might as well drop our barbs and play something else b:surrender
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited May 2010

/thread

+1

lol

oh and cat pulling in tw lol.
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Fuzzy can see where you are coming from, but there is a time and a place for everything. Veno with pet or BM or whatever want to tank a boss? Why not? It will save you some coin on your repair bill.

But when it comes to being a tank, there is nothing like the satisfaction of tanking a world boss and holding agro from your entire faction as they all smash away on it. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I always try to show barbs appreciation for their class by tanking whatever bosses I can - it saves on repair costs for the barb and mana pots for the cleric... maybe this is what some of those team members are doing without realising the effect.

I'd recommend that if you can get past this, you should learn some of the humanoid skills, they deal quite a bit more damage :). The point of being there? Veno fail => Barb hero.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I only suggest other tank than a barb if:

1) BM has huge amount of HP and lots of -int
    2) Barb is fail
    3) Boss uses magic
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Point of Barbs:

HP Buff
    Attack Amp Buff
    MASSIVE HP for tanking bosses
    Good DD in Human form (alot higher then a human axe DD when compared <.<)

Um....that's all I know of currently. Mainly because i've learned to just do everything I possibly can by myself and not really rely on others so much.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Something to keep in mind, particularly as you mention 7x: All of the bosses in the Valley of Disaster, aka FB/BH59, use a magical attack at range, so they can be tanked by nearly any class. Wizards with their high magic resistance, elemental shells, and high elemental damage arguably make them the best tanks for Zimo (weak to fire), Drake (weak to water, fire elemental DoT), Qianji (weak to earth, water magic attack), and Gluttonix (fire elemental DoT).

A DD class tanking also usually allows everyone else in the squad to do their full damage potential, rather than being limited by how much aggro can be handled.
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I can agree with Brigid on the above. BH59/FB59 bosses are basic Magic Bosses. Any psychic, wizard, veno, or cleric can easily tank them with their superior magical defense. Yet, if you let a fist BM, or a barb tank you will see that with a DD'er/True tank doing their "supposed job" you can increase maxium dmg and finish boss quicker.

And that especially is to say if a fist BM of 7x suddenly double sparks, and then begins to fire off hits (and has some - int gear), barb will quickly lose arggo.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I can tank probably every FB up to 99. Haven't tried 69 yet, but I tanked both SoT and Abaddon for BH.
    One of the clerics I've been in squad told me that I was easier to heal than a barb. Why? Dunno. His words, not mine.
    I've been in a Warsong BH where a fist archer tanked the whole thing (both Snake and Cannon bosses) and also I've been with a BM tanking warsong.
    Reason for this upside down world is the anni packs and the endgame-unobtainable-uber refined-wtfpwned gear that's widely available. It's incredibly hard for barbs to tank and keep aggro when they have 2 dds in the back with +10 or more weapons or 5hit/sec archer/bms.
    There are little to no places where a barb is needed to tank something. This game had a nice concept and class separation until the -interval and uber pdef ornaments were introduced via ****** packs. Since then ... the tank is the one in squad with the best gear, class doesn't matter.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Meursault - Dreamweaver
    Meursault - Dreamweaver Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Well, in a team you must do what's best for the team.

There's absolutely no point to make your squad hold back their attack or insist spamming ream and bouncing aggro IF the person who does highest damage in the squad can tank. Many barbs do this, making the run slower and/or unsafe for no reason.

On the other hand if the person who does highest damage in the squad can't tank or doesn't want to, then DDs should do their best not to steal aggro. Many DDs insist to go all out in this case and steal aggro, die, then brag about it.

You will meet a lot of people like this and you will want to punch them in the face, hope you're on a PvP server.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    ....whats the point of barbs??

best tanks out there, if the player has done it right!

frosty0908 wrote: »
    I started playing here around two months ago now and when I started I loved my barbarian I was under the impression that our sole purpose was to tank bosses but now I am up to 62 I find that alot of 7x levels seem to insisit they tank bosses in instances. I am not a good damage dealer I may cause a nice amount of damage but compared to other classes I do not compete. I find it rather annoying when this happens as it is denying me of what I came here to do and that is to tank I do not enjoy the damage my barbarian deals out I do enjoy being hit sevrel times and not seing my health bar drop and the sattisification of knowing that I played a major role in the bosses death next to the cleric that would of been healing me.

When I play with Veno's I keep in mind that one of there roles is to pull mobs and even though I have zeal I try not to use it as I like them to think they have a purpose in the instance rather than someone just trying to show off "HAHAH LOOK AT ME MA I CAN TANK THIS BOSS" ... Come on people let the classes do what they do best and let them do what there role is meant for I am not talkin about magical bosses here I understand why a more magical def class would be better of tanking them.

Opinions please?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Everything a barb can tank has been replaced.

The only situation where you need a barb to tank anymore is cata pulling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Untamedchaos - Sanctuary
    Untamedchaos - Sanctuary Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I like to think of my signature as a reminder of what a real barbarian can do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] With a .25x multiplier = 423520 regular

Booyah.
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Future cata puller will be Heavy cashooper Psy with 99 def level D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Think like wine >.> they are (suppose to be) more valuable as they get older.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide
    TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide Posts: 1,946 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Future cata puller will be Heavy cashooper Psy with 99 def level D:

Luci ? b:shocked
    It's all about LoL,yo.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Great if thats all we have to look foward to now we might as well drop our barbs and play something else b:surrender

What's all this "we" ****?

Barbs do just fine in this game.

Don't like it - find a better group of people to play with, or re-roll, or just go away.

RedMenace

\another "spokesman" to tell everyone how pitiful we all are
    \\we're fine here - move along
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    well, i for one am always going to be a 'barb backer', and others who want to take over that job can just go jump in the lake. so far as im concerned, other classes can help, but im always going to want a good barb heading any squad im in.

Everything a barb can tank has been replaced.

The only situation where you need a barb to tank anymore is cata pulling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • TattooMagic - Harshlands
    TattooMagic - Harshlands Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Opinions please?

`Ok for 1 yes barbs are tanks but they have low magic diff. so a mage is a better tank for a magic boss.
  • PlumDumb - Heavens Tear
    PlumDumb - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    did a tt run in 2-2 and yes i let the herc tank the first boss..something went sour and the herc died luckly i was the barb and had to take full control over the situation or there would have been a squishy party wipe with me living and jumping over the edge like a coward..after that the tt went smooth.
  • frosty0908
    edited May 2010
    What's all this "we" ****?

Barbs do just fine in this game.

Don't like it - find a better group of people to play with, or re-roll, or just go away.

RedMenace

\another "spokesman" to tell everyone how pitiful we all are
    \\we're fine here - move along

Hostile much?... People can't speak there minds ask questions learn about the current situation?.... Shhh mate grown folk speaking here troll else where.
    `Ok for 1 yes barbs are tanks but they have low magic diff. so a mage is a better tank for a magic boss.

I did mention at the end that magical bosses are better tanked by magical def classes.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The point of Barb is their high hps meaning anything lower need to be healed more.Their dmge may be lower due to their high hps.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Islamey - Dreamweaver
    Islamey - Dreamweaver Posts: 586 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    All I have to say is that BH69 Polearm is a pain without a barb.

And any 7x barb who loses aggro to a bm isn't very good, no matter what the bm does.
    The chillum is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.
  • The_Wall - Heavens Tear
    The_Wall - Heavens Tear Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Already mentioned except one but I can make it short:

- Pull Catapults
    - Two of the most important buffs
    - If not tanking primary by far the safest backup
    - I can say:

RAWR! I'm a tiger b:sin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If all you've done is limit your barb's playing style to RAWR I R BARB I R TANK then you have essentially ruined a barb and the game for yourself by playing a hard-lined role for yourself and others.

Barbs have more skills toward having and hold aggro, but they have a wide variety of skills for damage dealing too. Barbs are not just tanks, and it's nice to be around barbs who aren't insecure when other people tank ****. Endgame, you'll get used to archers, psy's, wizards, sins, and bm's all constantly tearing aggro from you no matter how much you ream, so it would be best to change the outlook asap.

The 70s are bad for magic users as far as tanking is concerned because every single boss in BH59 (which you get in the 70s) has ranged magic attack which they generally have a high defense toward (if arcane especially). They spent all that time getting their asses crushed by the likes of Farren, Rankar, Fushma, and Wyvern, and it will be hell (in one case just about impossible) for them to try and tank Gaurnob/Polearm/Stygean in their 80s, so let them have their fun now, and enjoy the variety the game gives you. Or, **** and moan about how pointless it is to play a barb because you aren't tanking virtually (noted the exceptions, but hardly counts for much acknowledgement) everything.
  • Darkjagans - Heavens Tear
    Darkjagans - Heavens Tear Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Reason for this upside down world is the anni packs and the endgame-unobtainable-uber refined-wtfpwned gear that's widely available. It's incredibly hard for barbs to tank and keep aggro when they have 2 dds in the back with +10 or more weapons or 5hit/sec archer/bms.
    There are little to no places where a barb is needed to tank something. This game had a nice concept and class separation until the -interval and uber pdef ornaments were introduced via ****** packs. Since then ... the tank is the one in squad with the best gear, class doesn't matter.

This.

/thread
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Barbs have two primary purposes now. Pulling catas and buffs. Demon barb is pretty broken in PvP, but fist/claw BM has pretty much replaced the barb as primary tank.

I solo's Illusion Lord Armageddon long enough for a cleric to go back to town and come back in tonight.... twice. I'm about 1-1.5k hp to be able to solo it without a cleric. 3-1, I can solo.

There's really not much that I can't tank except for a few world bosses and a few others. .
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Yarly - Harshlands
    Yarly - Harshlands Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Frostcovered, FB/BH69, Nirvana, GV, TW
    any others?

Those are for you barbs
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Frostcovered, FB/BH69, Nirvana, GV, TW
    any others?

Those are for you barbs
    I'm constantly in FF, Nirvana, and TT runs with either a herc veno, an archer with fists, a sin, or a bm who is tanking, whether it be because we couldn't find a barb, didn't even look for a barb, or the barb would never hold aggro anyways. To a degree, the notion of a "tank barb" is somewhat hitting obsolescence at this point with the development of the game. This is why I retired my barb at 90, and now have my 90 bm getting geared up with -interval -- my bm can tank, so far, pretty much everything a barb can, the only difference is alpha male is my only actual (somewhat) effective aggro skill.