Questions about Farren

LeLelle - Sanctuary
LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Cleric
I am needing some clarifications on this

My IH is level 10. If the tank stands in a straight line between Farren and me, should I be able to stay out of Farrens AOE range?

Is it true that Farren's AOE attacks are greatly reduced if no one attacks Farren using a ranged attack? My observations seem to agree with this rumor.

Thanks for the help.
Post edited by LeLelle - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Reichle - Sanctuary
    Reichle - Sanctuary Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2010

My IH is level 10. If the tank stands in a straight line between Farren and me, should I be able to stay out of Farrens AOE range?

Is it true that Farren's AOE attacks are greatly reduced if no one attacks Farren using a ranged attack? My observations seem to agree with this rumor.

Thanks for the help.

All these positioning rumors about various bosses (usually I've heard about Wyvern in BH51, this is the first i'm hearing of Farren) are fake. Make sure vryone else stays out of range, and I believe maxed IH's range keeps you out of Farren's AOE range.
    Reichle lvl7x cleric | Neithin lvl5x barb | Tigressi lvl3x veno | Etheriali lvl3x wiz | Goldeeni lvl2x sin | Lilaq lvl2x BM | Fuegai lvlx archer | Whiteney psychic not created yet >_>

Yes, I love PWI that much. Every class is awesome in their own way.
  • Kismeta - Dreamweaver
    Kismeta - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I believe maxed IH's range keeps you out of Farren's AOE range.

This I'm not sure about. I can't really remember bh 39 on my cleric (looong time ago, I took a break, and then lvled alts), so I can't remember whether or not I had maxed IH (I'm fairly sure I did), but I can remeber being hit quite a lot by farrens AoE.

If I'm wrong on this (which is a major possibility lol) anyone pls correct me^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<- tyvm to ForsakenX for the sig, <3 ur work

Vanquish for life

Clerics are not your slaves, we do not exist to do your bidding. We also have names. Saying please does not take a lot of typing. I react very badly to being yelled at. Please do not do it.
    Its rather sad when people automatically assume you are a guy just because you are playing a veno....
    Live life to its fullest, learn from your mistakes, and most importantly, have fun. b:victory
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    C = Cleric
    T = Barb
    F = Farren
    = Max IH range

C
    T F = Won't get hit
    C
    F T = Will get hit
    At least, from what I remember
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    C = Cleric
    T = Barb
    F = Farren
    = Max IH range

C
    T F = Won't get hit
    C
    F T = Will get hit
    At least, from what I remember

yeah ^ for most of the lower level bosses, as long as the tank is between you (the cleric) and the boss... and you're at max heal range, you'll be ok.

In any case, sereneti's aoe is magic based and shouldn't hit you too hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Farren dosn't have the AoE like Wyvern has so I wouldn't worry about even the Boss on the Broken Bow Bluff has bigger one.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    All these positioning rumors about various bosses (usually I've heard about Wyvern in BH51, this is the first i'm hearing of Farren) are fake.

That depends on what positioning rumors you've heard. If it's that wyvern's aoe is frontal, then you're right; however, wyvern's aoe is NOT 360 degrees, its simply front and back. Clerics can just stand at either side. Tested having Wyvern face the left wall and extrapolated for the opposite wall.

Also, Farren's aoe has a 23 meter radius, so whether you get hit or not depends on the level of ironheart. Seeing as yours has a 26.5m range, putting the tank between you and Farren will be fine.
  • Nexdonum - Lost City
    Nexdonum - Lost City Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    yeah ^ for most of the lower level bosses, as long as the tank is between you (the cleric) and the boss... and you're at max heal range, you'll be ok.

In any case, sereneti's aoe is magic based and shouldn't hit you too hard.

Pretty sure that Farren's AoE is physical. Just not interrupting like some bosses' AoEs (like Rankar).

Farren's AoE can hit you pretty hard if you aren't ready for it. So, LeLelle, just stay behind and as far back from the tank as possible as DeathBanana and Tojop have suggested, and you'll be fine.
    We have two ears and one tongue so that we would listen more and talk less. - Diogenes

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them. - Pierre Beaumarchais

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - Unknown
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Farren is a random-damage-superhero with a physical damage AoE (just like Wyvern in 51 and Nob in 69, the "windblade" like thing) and is about 25 meters wide, 360 degrees.
    Whatever positioning rumours you've heard, it's bad to try them out if you're the cleric, better to sacrifice an archer or something for that. A cleric once nagged about me not being directly in front of Wyvern so the DDs didn't get hit, like I'd block his attacks. Didn't happen, the cleric tried it out. Good thing we had two.

Edit: YAY! My avatar finally dinged 80.
  • LeLelle - Sanctuary
    LeLelle - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Did Farren last night, and the tanks were lined up correctly. Still, I was getting hit by the AoE.

But the weirdest thing, every time I got hit by an AoE, I would take a step or two forward on the next heal.

I couldn't see that anything was moving. Myself or Farren. If this were a knockback, there would be a noticible distance. If Farren were moving (like some bosses do) it too would be a noticible distance, I would think.

Does Farren's AoE have any effect on your casting or weapon range?
    That depends on what positioning rumors you've heard. If it's that wyvern's aoe is frontal, then you're right; however, wyvern's aoe is NOT 360 degrees, its simply front and back. Clerics can just stand at either side. Tested having Wyvern face the left wall and extrapolated for the opposite wall.

Also, Farren's aoe has a 23 meter radius, so whether you get hit or not depends on the level of ironheart. Seeing as yours has a 26.5m range, putting the tank between you and Farren will be fine.

So I can see the range of my IH in the hoverover. Would sure like to know where the information for that AoE comes from. I think one has to know the name of it. Which means one would have to write it down during the boss fight.

Thanks everyone for the help.
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Difficult to say without knowing the make up of the whole squad. Any number of things could have agitated the little troll just enough to shuffle around a step or two and into range.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    So I can see the range of my IH in the hoverover. Would sure like to know where the information for that AoE comes from. I think one has to know the name of it. Which means one would have to write it down during the boss fight.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I actually pulled the 23m range from Ence's exhaustive compilation of quest guides; he gives some basic info about most bosses, specifically ranges on aoes. Check out Farren's here (ctrl+f "farren"):
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=87651

However, I honestly have no idea where Ence gets his information from, only that it is superbly accurate (or at least was when he posted it)

Edit: for links to all of Ence's guides, go into the "Quest Tips" subsection in the forums, he has a sticky there with some extremely useful information.
  • ILubby - Raging Tide
    ILubby - Raging Tide Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Thanks for the help.

You and the other squad members should be fine, maxed IH will sure keep you out of range, but yea I guess the tank should be between you and farren, however I don't remember it ever happened and I got hit if we do the opposite.
    I'm not sure about the rumors but I think they're wrong.
    Yes Farren has a magic AoE that greatly increases channeling, it's annoying yes =D
  • Nieka - Harshlands
    Nieka - Harshlands Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    wow i dont know what boss farren is lolz but most bosses that aoe are either line of site front back aoe or 360. for a cleric just stay at your max range and keep a couple pots to heal yourself and watch out not all aoe's are magical, however, if it is a magical aoe get to a high lvl and solo the boss to impress your friends lolz b:chuckle.
  • Reichle - Sanctuary
    Reichle - Sanctuary Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    wow i dont know what boss farren is lolz but most bosses that aoe are either line of site front back aoe or 360. for a cleric just stay at your max range and keep a couple pots to heal yourself and watch out not all aoe's are magical, however, if it is a magical aoe get to a high lvl and solo the boss to impress your friends lolz b:chuckle.

....you don't know which boss farren is? O____O
    Reichle lvl7x cleric | Neithin lvl5x barb | Tigressi lvl3x veno | Etheriali lvl3x wiz | Goldeeni lvl2x sin | Lilaq lvl2x BM | Fuegai lvlx archer | Whiteney psychic not created yet >_>

Yes, I love PWI that much. Every class is awesome in their own way.
  • Ana///stacia - Dreamweaver
    Ana///stacia - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    b:pleased if u have ih level 10 u will be out of the range of his aoe and u can heal the tank without healing yourself with np although if he moves just a litlle then u will take aoe and could die, thats why u need a good tank that can keep agro and doesnt let u down b:chuckle on farrenb:victory tryed lateral to heal the tank doesnt work,when my ih wasnt lev 10 then i start geting hit unfortunetly seems his aoe is 360^^ and my range wasnt good enough back then but he eventualy died, thank god for genie pots and life powderb:laugh
  • MsEvilness - Heavens Tear
    MsEvilness - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    It will aoe a lot when someone who is ranged has agro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Originally posted by LShattered - HeavensTear
    Ohhh...I am dumb b:shutup
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    As long as you are max range, Farren's AoE will not hit you.
  • Kena_Larrain - Raging Tide
    Kena_Larrain - Raging Tide Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    wow i dont know what boss farren is

/facepalm

10 chars
  • Nieka - Harshlands
    Nieka - Harshlands Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    /facepalm

10 chars

not my fault i dont do many instances. from the lvl of the original post im guessing its between bh39 and 69 none of whitch i have done in like 6months so i kinda forgot the bosses and where they are