Hardest hitting spell/skill/attack

Options
KanariaRose - Archosaur
KanariaRose - Archosaur Posts: 67 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Cleric
Just curious. Its a question for all classes really, but as far as i hear from the bits and peices i read and see from other players. The hardest hitting spell = tempest? I hear when a good pvp cleric casts it on a debuffed character, nothing survives lol.

I have both a cleric(support) and a psy. If im support should i bother with maxing tempest? Or do my heals and buffs first...although IH and my buffs are all already max.

Psy strongest skill=red tide?
Post edited by KanariaRose - Archosaur on

Comments

• Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    if u support u max other heals then
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Tempest is easily our hardest hitting skill, though a double-sparked Wield Thunder can be scary too. However, it's very expensive in both SP and coin, and until 8x-9x, you probably won't have the SP for it. Also, until the higher levels, Tempest doesn't really shine, as a huge portion of Tempest's damage is from your weapon's magic attack. Tempest should (imo) be one of the last skills you level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • KittyTaco - Lost City
    KittyTaco - Lost City Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Just curious. Its a question for all classes really, but as far as i hear from the bits and peices i read and see from other players. The hardest hitting spell = tempest? I hear when a good pvp cleric casts it on a debuffed character, nothing survives lol.

I have both a cleric(support) and a psy. If im support should i bother with maxing tempest? Or do my heals and buffs first...although IH and my buffs are all already max.

sage bids.

but for clerics, yea tempest would be the strongest.
    for a support cleric..you'd max heals and buffs first..cos you're support.
    but whirlwind and plumeshot should be maxed right away too :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Qlngfu - Archosaur
    Qlngfu - Archosaur Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yea tempest is te hardest hitting cleric skill and u really shouldnt start lvlng it before 8x/9x

i got to lvl8 and kinda regret it now since the money and sprit could be put in much better use by (personal preference) maxing all debuffs or making a good genie. its a late game skill for pvp and for me it doesnt really look to shine before getting TT90.

as fo red tide.. ask in the psycich sub forum, the prolly already now you are coming and got a answer for you..

NOTE: crits will always give some satisfactoring numbers b:laugh
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    sage bids.
    but for clerics, yea tempest would be the strongest.
    for a support cleric..you'd max heals and buffs first..cos you're support.
    but whirlwind and plumeshot should be maxed right away too :P

demon armagedon
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    demon zerk crit arma+ all debuff in game....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    demon armagedon

Counterpoint: that's the only skill barbs have that do anything beyond triple digit damage; whereas, all I have to do is LOOK AT SOMETHING and it explodes into innumerable shards of not-so-mini-hydrogen bombs, incinerating everything alive everywhere, ever. I draw a card.
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Counterpoint: that's the only skill barbs have that do anything beyond triple digit damage; whereas, all I have to do is LOOK AT SOMETHING and it explodes into innumerable shards of not-so-mini-hydrogen bombs, incinerating everything alive everywhere, ever. I draw a card.

b:shutup hahaha
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yea tempest is te hardest hitting cleric skill and u really shouldnt start lvlng it before 8x/9x

i got to lvl8 and kinda regret it now since the money and sprit could be put in much better use by (personal preference) maxing all debuffs or making a good genie. its a late game skill for pvp and for me it doesnt really look to shine before getting TT90.

as fo red tide.. ask in the psycich sub forum, the prolly already now you are coming and got a answer for you..

NOTE: crits will always give some satisfactoring numbers b:laugh

What is your metal mastery at mine is lvl 8 with lvl 4 tempest which effects tempest?
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

now yes but i guess that this will change with the release of our 79,100, demon/sage skills.

but leveling it costs a lot and it also costs 2 sparks
    the bleed effect has only a chance to happen (80% max lvl)

double sparking + glacial shards + sandburst blast is a nice (cheaper) alternative

sorry for the forum off-topic but thread in-topicb:surrender
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

*counterspell*

i draw your card
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • PaperCutter - Dreamweaver
    PaperCutter - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    hamster*

/10char
  • Euphy - Dreamweaver
    Euphy - Dreamweaver Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Tempest is useful at about lv.85. If you've got a good TT80 weapon or Frost weapon you've got the magic attack to make it awe-inspiring at this point. Moreover, it means you can start truely grinding on Poison monsters. Tox-tanking is a clerics moment to shine in solo PvE!
    I've got a lv.10 Tempest with my demon book waiting <^-^>
    Beware: In squad situations casting a Tempest will pull argo to you. Don't expect blademasters, Baby Hercules, or even unprepared barbarians to keep argo. You'll have to practice the same DD-control as a wizard (... and psychic now I suppose).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lemuria - Harshlands
    Lemuria - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Tempest really shines on multiple mobs, but don't waste it on singles or bosses. You're better off using your 2-spark, regaining MP and firing off a string of other attacks (starting with Wield Thunder) since you'll get far more damage out of it overall. At least until you have access to demon/sage version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    in terms of numbers, and i assume only cleric skills are discussed :P, highest damage spell indeed is tempest.
    but...
    as was said before:
    1) its spell that shines at high levels: expensive to max, consumes 2 sparks, best combined with maxed metal mastery and good weapon
    2) its aoe, so has its limits (and uses too ^.^)
    3) it uses 2 sparks and is slow to cast, you are better off casting double sparked wield thunder and cyclone (on one celestial eruption i can cast thunder, cyclone, plume, cyclone and plume. someone with better -chan gear could probably squeeze in another cyclone: sum of that damage is higher than that from tempest, even sparked one, unless you are lucky and tempest crits)
    despite me knowing all that i do sometimes use tempest on bossess because i like seeing big numbers b:surrender

so level everything else before, and wait patiently... there will come the day when you will have a big group of cadevils or spiders gathered, stunned and hf'ed by your bm partner, and be able to 1 shot them all b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Tempest is good to use on bosses when you need to heal and you have all the sparks from healing and can't afford the time to go
    triple spark -> WT -> cyclone -> PS -> cyclone....
  • Raviste - Heavens Tear
    Raviste - Heavens Tear Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Tempest is good to use on bosses when you need to heal and you have all the sparks from healing and can't afford the time to go
    triple spark -> WT -> cyclone -> PS -> cyclone....

Disagreed. If you really need to heal on that boss, simply triple spark > heal > heal > cyclone > WT > cyclone > heal > heal. Those triple sparked heals are powerful enough to keep your tank up while you're firing off three attacks, plus triple spark will regen your MP. Much, much more effective than a single Tempest.

The ONLY instance that Tempest should be used on a BOSS is in Rebirth when attack and MP auras are up. Triple spark will out damage Tempest otherwise in every other instance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired - Radiance
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    man i thought our hardest hitting skill was revive
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    Xoria - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I would have to disagree on Tempest being the hardest hitting spell overall.

If you get a critical off, then I suppose Tempest can hit hard. Current record at the time for Tempest is 93k on a TT3-3 mob/ 78k on TT2-3 Astralwalker. Otherwise, Tempest hits around 23k- 30k.

However, triple sparking and then spamming Plume Shot (remember, I have high channeling with Demon Spark; with that high casting time, most of my skills are not cool- down enough to re-cast aside from Plume Shot), I can hit 15k per arrow. In one triple spark, I can fire off around 5 or 6 shots.

Also, I have a macro that is Cyclone, Wield Thunder, Cyclone, Thunderball, repeat. Demon Wield Thunder reduces metal resistance by 30%. While Tempest may not steal aggression as soon as possible, that little combo has given may a barb a tough battle to actually tank. The second cyclone seems to hit just as hard as a non- critical Tempest after that Wield Thunder and it didn't consume a single spark to do it.

Even before becoming demon, Wield Thunder and Tempest were very similar in damage.
    [In a distorted place and time][The knife that stabbed me in the back grants me wings]
    [I keep looking to the sky][In order to flee from the memories]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [The world that expands inside of your arms is][///the last secret garden///]
    [If you've already forgotten me, don't forget...]
    [The things that we once embraced]
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I would have to disagree on Tempest being the hardest hitting spell overall.

If you get a critical off, then I suppose Tempest can hit hard. Current record at the time for Tempest is 93k on a TT3-3 mob/ 78k on TT2-3 Astralwalker. Otherwise, Tempest hits around 23k- 30k.

However, triple sparking and then spamming Plume Shot (remember, I have high channeling with Demon Spark; with that high casting time, most of my skills are not cool- down enough to re-cast aside from Plume Shot), I can hit 15k per arrow. In one triple spark, I can fire off around 5 or 6 shots.

Also, I have a macro that is Cyclone, Wield Thunder, Cyclone, Thunderball, repeat. Demon Wield Thunder reduces metal resistance by 30%. While Tempest may not steal aggression as soon as possible, that little combo has given may a barb a tough battle to actually tank. The second cyclone seems to hit just as hard as a non- critical Tempest after that Wield Thunder and it didn't consume a single spark to do it.

Even before becoming demon, Wield Thunder and Tempest were very similar in damage.

Xoria, I need to stalk you on my veno now. b:chuckle I sadly retired my cleric until the summer time.

I currently have lv. 9 Wield Thunder and lv. 8 Tempest and they were actually somewhat similar damage-wise when I use it during bosses at BHs (during my BH 59). Especially when a veno debuffs the boss or when I use Extreme Poison, the damage of Wield Thunder gets closer to Tempest (but still can't really outdamage it). Except Tempest is an AOE skill (but then again, I use Siren's Kiss more than Tempest AOE grinding wise).

That's pretty much my insight to Tempest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Xoria, what is your weapon/refine level?

And Raviste, I would have to agree with you. But you'll have to admit, firing off a tempest is much prettier than firing off a triple spark, heal, heal ....b:cute
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    tempest is harderst hitting skill

then is wield thunder, thunderball, razor/kiss, cyclone, plume shot

however, 3spark WT can > 1spark tempest when ur base magic attack goes over like umm ~10k (if you wanna use it as one-shot nuke ofc)

anyway, best DPS combo is cyclone,plume reapeat and WT just as opener

eot
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Raviste - Heavens Tear
    Raviste - Heavens Tear Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Current record at the time for Tempest is 93k on a TT3-3 mob/ 78k on TT2-3 Astralwalker. Otherwise, Tempest hits around 23k- 30k.

I've hit that high (93kish) on mobs and such, but 78k on a TT boss? How did you get it that high? o-o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired - Radiance