Perfect computer specs for PWI?

Options
Yamiino - Heavens Tear
Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Support Desk
I know almost nothing about computers (atleast not what a computer needs to run these kind of games).

I'm about to get a new computer (one I will get a friend to build for me) and it will be mainly to play games, I also use 3D programs so as I understood I really need a good graphic card.

I was going to buy a macintosh but... mac is really limited for gaming, so I will get a Windows OS, thinking on Windows 7... or XP... my laptop has Vista and it is really slow...

So the question would be, what would be the perfect specs of a computer to run PWI on the highest settings without lagging? (thinking of archosaur will always lag not matter what anyone does, thats what I read on other post b:chuckle)

Thank you!
WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
Post edited by Yamiino - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• SoulReapperr - Dreamweaver
    SoulReapperr - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I Have A Vista And It Runs OK But The Second Best For Me Would be A XP At Least 200 GB On Your Laptop/Computer And Good Internet Will Reduce Some Of The Lag.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    archosaur lags like crazy.. but personally, if your PC was built for vista, upgrade to 7. I have a vista 64 bit-built machine, and win 7 runs like a dream on it. (vista was REALLY crappy)
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Let me know your budget and whether you are looking for a desktop or laptop system.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Desktop and I'm looking for something around 1,500 can be higher or lower but nothing higher than 2.5 b:chuckle i basically want to use this new computer for PWI and Autodesk Maya / 3ds Max / Flash (>> nothing much required for this last one lol but i have to say it) b:laugh my laptop runs PWI well, but I have to go to the lower specs to have a decent FPS rate. Yeah... i know laptops are not for gaming :P

Just would like to know the names of the products to tell my friend what im looking for (or similar stuff to it)
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • darthpanda16
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Are you going to attempt to build one? or would you prefer a sweet box from the get-go?
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well building would be great (since its cheaper), but if there's anything on the specs posted already made why not? :3 b:chuckle
  • darthpanda16
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Here are my opinions:

Hard drive running at 7200rpms or 10,000 rpms. Size up to you.

A nVidia video chipset originally designed in the last year with 1GB of RAM or more.

4GB at least of system RAM, the fastest you can get that is a multiple of the CPU clock. 8GB or RAM if the motherboard you get can support it.

A solid 64bit CPU released in the last 18 months.

A fast motherboard with a bus speed geared for the CPU type and speed that you want. Plenty of USB 2.0 ports and Firewire. USB 3.0 if you can find them.

A reliable and good power supply unit that has enough wattage for everything you are putting into it.

A case that has two inlet fans and two outlet fans. The outlet fans should be near the top of the case, and the inlet fans should be on the lower part of the case.

If you can get a bluray ROM/DVDROM/DVDR/DVDRW/CDROM/CDRW/CDR drive, do it, and you'll be happy about it later. If you want to get a secondary DVDROM/R/RW drive for your more common everyday uses, go for it.

A multi memory card reader if you take a lot of photos for reference textures or anything.

You should be able to get all of that for under $1,500.

Check Newegg, Zipzoomfly, CDW, Tigerdirect, and Amazon.

Before you buy any parts, make sure that you read multiple reviews on it from multiple sources. This research can save you a lot of heartache later.
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wow thanks :D so with all these specs, pwi will run perfectly? not expecting it to go perfect on west arch but atleast around TW and stuff? b:laugh
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    besides arch and tw, even a weak pc doesn't lag too badly. your real problem is vista I'll doublechack my brother's pc specs, his pc ended up costing $1,300 in the end, and it's a monster
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    besides arch and tw, even a weak pc doesn't lag too badly. your real problem is vista I'll doublechack my brother's pc specs, his pc ended up costing $1,300 in the end, and it's a monster

Yes pwease :D i know it doesnt really consume much resources, im talking about PWI, but yeah my laptop is a "basic" laptop XD got it for $500 USD rofl yet i can play (surprized i can lol) but i'd love to get the best of this game (graphics) without spending a fortune :P
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wow thanks :D so with all these specs, pwi will run perfectly? not expecting it to go perfect on west arch but atleast around TW and stuff? b:laugh

bump? i didn't get the last answer :( thanks for helping up with this b:pleased

Ok so I've been researching and youtube gave me pretty much a good answer lol.

I was checking up the new nVidia GeForce GTX 480 and 470, according to several websites, these consume a lot of energy and are not really worth it (the price is about $600, deppending on the reseller). I've seen some YouTube videos that say that a GeForce GTX 275 does pretty well for Perfect World Maximum settings enabled. Which is about $200 USD... or a GeForce GTX 280 which would do better for $250 USD or so.

What do you think? I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Msi Nvidia Geforce Gtx 280 Oc 1 Gb Gddr3 512 Bit, sounds neat enough? (thinking that TW would not lag or will lag 95% less, probably?)

I've been thinking on 4-6 GB Ram

I was thinking on Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P, what other mother board would you recommend?

Is 64bit needed? I don't know if Autodesk Maya 2009 and Adobe Suite will run on 64 bit, probably it will but it may cause issues i guess? If so, which CPU do you think would fit better?
  • Feruta - Heavens Tear
    Feruta - Heavens Tear Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Step 1:

go to www.tomshardware.com

Read the "Best Gaming CPUs/Video Cards for the Money" articles and select your price range. Choose the parts that best fit your budget. Take note that anything listed in those articles WILL run PWI on high settings, however if you want to get into more heavy gaming like MW2 or Krysis choose something on the high end, if not then low end, bang for your buck, cards/cpu's will work fine for 99% of what you do.

Step 2:

go to http://www.newegg.com/

Now buy the parts you chose above along with a motherboard that will fit your CPU and Video card. Then get at least 4G of ram at the highest speed you can afford that will fit your selected motherboard. Next choose a hard drive with at least 7200 rpm, whatever size you feel comfortable with. After that pick out a case that you like with at least 2 fans to keep everything cool. I would suggest adding a Blu Ray player at this point, but if you don't want/need one then go for a DVD RW drive with at least 20X write speed. Finally use Newegg's power supply calculator to find out how many watts your machine needs to run, then pick a PSU with slightly higher wattage than your system needs.

Step 3:

Read guides on building a PC, or get a friend to help you put it all together. If you have a friend that is capable of that, then have said friend help you pick out the parts as well, so you don't end up with mismatched parts.

Step 4:

Choose an OS. I personally like Windows 7, but if you don't like it, go for XP. OSX doesn't run PW without using workarounds of some kind, and Linux is FAR to complicated to bother with if you just want to play PWI ; )

Step 5:

Enjoy your new PC. It will probably be faster than anything you have ever used before.
  • darthpanda16
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Check the system requirements for the software that you mentioned to see what it'll run on.
  • SyMei - Dreamweaver
    SyMei - Dreamweaver Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This set up, which I've been dreaming about may suit your needs for basically everything:

It's a desktop, just so you know,
    ** Prices Are Listed From Newegg.com As of Mon, Apr 26, 2010 **

-- Motherboard
    ---- (58 - 85 USD) ASUS M4A77TD Motherboard (AM3 - 140 W)
    ---- (58 - 80 USD) MSI 770-C45 Motherboard (AM3 - 140 W)

-- Processor
    ---- (~310 USD) AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Processor (Hex Core - 3.2 GHz - 125 Watt - AM3)

-- Memory
    ---- (~250+ USD) 8 GB RAM

-- Video Card(s) (If You Cannot find Any, Use A Good (IE: ATI 5xxx) 1 GB or 2 GB With HDMI Output)
    ---- (390 USD) SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100282-2GVXSR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

-- Case (Instead of Listing Individual Cases, I've Provided a Description)
    ---- No Fancy Gamer Case Or Whatnot, Something Simple Yet Sturdy.
    ---- Must Be ATX or bigger
    ---- No Liquid Cooling (You don't need it anyway if you have front and back fans, believe me, I've had that kind of setup.)
    ---- Front Headphone/USB Would Be Preferred As Well As Back Audio Jacks.
    ---- Should Be 17 Inches High Or Less If Possible
    ---- The above 2 GB Video Card may be a bit long, so please take this into consideration.

-- Power Supply (Go Up One Watt Level More (IE: 750 >> 800) If The Listed Wattage Is Not Enough)
    ---- 750W Power Supply

-- Harddrive
    ---- (~80+ USD) 1TB Harddrive

-- Optical Drive (No LG, Use LiteOn or less expensive brand.)
    ---- DL DVD+/-RW / CD-RW

-- Operating System
    ---- (199.99 USD) Windows 7 Pro x64

-- Extras
    ---- No Media Card Readers

If you look around, a core i7 desktop with these specs would cost 1200 USD more. AMD/ATI always wins when it comes to price and performance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zaaphiel
    zaaphiel Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    use the corsair PSU TX850w that powers every thing and has a 5 year warranty
    Antec nine hundred gaming case will last you along time and can be adapted for water cooled when your ready and looks good
    id go for 2x 750GB hard drives as they say 1 hard drive can fail and you may need a back up
    use 4GB of Ram not 8GB 8 is recommended for servers also make sure the ram is compatible with your motherboard
    Asus or Gygabyte mobo depending what you want 775, i5, i7
    GPU depending on your mobo, try and get the OME GPU cos they have greater overclocking capability's if you so wish
    grfx card dependant on chipset and mobo

or post your Question here with a budget the team will make you up a gaming rig the site is free to use

www.techsupportforum.com
  • SyMei - Dreamweaver
    SyMei - Dreamweaver Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    zaaphiel wrote: »
    id go for 2x 750GB hard drives as they say 1 hard drive can fail and you may need a back up

Or get a 16 or 32 GB flash drive like me and keep all your documents on it.

I had one last for a few years, but then I bent the thing 90 degrees when I fell down once... will never make that mistake again.

If you can also afford it, I suggest an SSD harddrive, they have no moving parts, and thus produce less heat. But they are far more expensive than their moving part sisters.

I also don't understand why people need to overclock either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zaaphiel
    zaaphiel Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I also don't understand why people need to overclock either.[/QUOTE]

I agree there, burns out the PC faster and if done incorrectly it can shaft your system, but gamers like the advantage in PK
  • ChocoMonster - Dreamweaver
    ChocoMonster - Dreamweaver Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    zaaphiel wrote: »
    I also don't understand why people need to overclock either.

I agree there, burns out the PC faster and if done incorrectly it can shaft your system, but gamers like the advantage in PK[/QUOTE]

Then get a machine (like the one I mentioned) so you don't HAVE to overclock in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.