GW vs Seamonster Guardian?

LinneaSage - Raging Tide
LinneaSage - Raging Tide Posts: 28 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Venomancer
So I read in a few threads that better DPS was sortof between Dark Wanderer and Seamonster Guardian, instead of the Varicose Scorpion, nowadays. Since I currently have a GW, and hate having to figure out how to click someone when they're hiding behind his big butt, I decided to go with the Seamonster Guardian instead of the DW, since it's a bit smaller. Problem is, I've gotten the Guardian up to the same level as the GW, and its attack rating is noticably lower. The attack speed of the Guardian is barely above that of the GW, so I'm not sure if it really make a huge difference in damage output.

What I'm wondering is, did I choose wrong? Is a Guardian really not a great DPSer? I really wanted to get away from the GW and the DW, since they're both so overused right now (not to mention they're both obnoxiously large), but are those really the only choices?

Or does the damage scale turn in favor of the Guardian at high levels, at least between it and the GW?

I'd really like to know if I need to switch to a DW. Even though they're bulky, just like the GW >.>.
Post edited by LinneaSage - Raging Tide on

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    So I read in a few threads that better DPS was sortof between Dark Wanderer and Seamonster Guardian, instead of the Varicose Scorpion, nowadays.

A Scorpion with skills canl out DPS the Wanderer with the same skills. A good high level tank barb can hold aggro against those skills. This makes both pets useful for different situations. There's also land speed, acc, and defenses to consider.
    Since I currently have a GW, and hate having to figure out how to click someone when they're hiding behind his big butt, I decided to go with the Seamonster Guardian instead of the DW, since it's a bit smaller. Problem is, I've gotten the Guardian up to the same level as the GW, and its attack rating is noticably lower. The attack speed of the Guardian is barely above that of the GW, so I'm not sure if it really make a huge difference in damage output.

What are the figures (atk / atk per sec) for both?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • LinneaSage - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    A Scorpion with skills canl out DPS the Wanderer with the same skills. A good high level tank barb can hold aggro against those skills. This makes both pets useful for different situations. There's also land speed, acc, and defenses to consider.

What are the figures (atk / atk per sec) for both?

Sigh, some people had mentioned the DW and Guardian as better than the Scorpion now >.<. I thought they had more defense, too--maybe I was wrong about that as well.

For the Guardian, attack: 377, attack speed: .8/sec.
    For the GW, attack: 458, attack speed: .6/sec

Unless the Guardian's attack pulls ahead somewhere, I think I just wasted a day of grinding it to my level as a DPS pet b:sad .
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    For the Guardian, attack: 377, attack speed: .8/sec.
    For the GW, attack: 458, attack speed: .6/sec
    377*0.8 = 301.6 DPS
    458*0.6 = 274.8 DPS

Ignoring skills, your guardian does more DPS than your GW.

Skills favor the slower attacking pets though, since they're based on the damage per hit and ignore attack speed. I'm not sure which skills come on those pets, but assuming it's Bash 2 on both, you're getting:

(377*1.55 + 8*301.6) / 9.5 = 315.5 DPS
    (458*1.55 + 8*274.8) / 9.5 = 306.1 DPS

So the guardian is still doing more damage.

Do note that damage is front-loaded. Essentially, the first hit is free and doesn't have a delay. So for short fights the GW will have an advantage. Exactly how short depends on how many hp the target has.
    edited May 2010
    The Guardian has Flesh Ream and Slow, while the GW has that Icicle-type Bash, Howl, and Tough.

Is Flesh Ream as good/nearly as good as Bash?
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The Guardian has Flesh Ream and Slow, while the GW has that Icicle-type Bash, Howl, and Tough.

Is Flesh Ream as good/nearly as good as Bash?

Flesh Ream is better for PvP and Bash for PvE. Bash's faster cooldown makes it better for aggro holding.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited May 2010
    tweakz wrote: »
    Flesh Ream is better for PvP and Bash for PvE. Bash's faster cooldown makes it better for aggro holding.

Ah, thanks ^^. That probably explains why my GW holds aggro a bit better when I get teamed up on.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Damage-wise they are close. In theory FR ends up a bit better (the +% bleed damage from FR is in addition to the regular attack damage it does, while the +% damage from Bash is its total damage). However, the two are not directly comparable as the bleed damage seems to get level-based damage reduction. All other pet skills and attacks don't get that reduction. So in practice they probably do about the same damage, with Bash being preferred because of its better aggro.