Shard for fist

TaintedBlade - Sanctuary
TaintedBlade - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Blademaster
Hey guys i got a TT80 gold fist ready for me to shard and for use when i'm level 80. But i'm not quite sure what i'm actually supposed to shard it with, i've heard discussions of using ruby shards for the fire damage, but also that garnet shards add affect the damage directly, like a refine.

So i have 2 ruby perfects, which would be +160 fire damage.
And 2 flawless garnets whch would be +50 phys attack.

I'll probably buy immacs later if suggested, out of money at the moment.
I just want some opinions on whats more suited, maybe 1 of each shard. This is rather confusing though cause i have seen elemental shards in high-grade weapons such as Striking Dragon.

Thanks for replies.
Post edited by TaintedBlade - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I suggest you forget elemental shards completely. Your fist mastery should be level already, or at least close to it, so garnets add more damage than 50. I tested it with level 73 fists and got 143 attack boost from 2x flawless garnets with level 7 fist mastery. I don't know if other stats change it too.

The reason why high level people shard their weapons with elemental shards is kinda stupid. They think that if they use it on HA users, it will do more damage. Of course this is true, but in general, you should never use elemental shards.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I'd never use any shards that increase elemental attributes, not worth it IMO.

1. I know in PVE that you'll have a harder time trying to kill "increased magic resistance" mobs or ones that are the same element will reduce your damage. Added up, you'll kill rather slow.
    2. There are powders, which makes most element shards typically useless (maybe not earth damage bonus or metal damage bonus shards, but then again might not really be helpful)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Drigan - Raging Tide
    Drigan - Raging Tide Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Just curious, because i was wondering about sharding fists simply as an idea to toy with. But, IF you're hell bent to shard ur fist with an elemental shard, would it be better to shard the fist with magic dmg instead? I mean its the effect of magic dmg that you want as opposed to specifically fire dmg for HA. Just pondering, would love a response to this.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    nothing sell it in ah and buy a set of buddah fists

garnets in those

tt 80 gold = more cash than brains so you'll get a decent price
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Just curious, because i was wondering about sharding fists simply as an idea to toy with. But, IF you're hell bent to shard ur fist with an elemental shard, would it be better to shard the fist with magic dmg instead? I mean its the effect of magic dmg that you want as opposed to specifically fire dmg for HA. Just pondering, would love a response to this.

Sapphires don't affect melee damage.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Mr_B - Dreamweaver
    Mr_B - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys
    Im a lowlt lvl 40 fist bm which i love i can tank things as well as stay alive longer,
    i recomend accuracy shards as you can never have enough of that.
    I also have a 80 bm but that has axes,so id advixce accuracy as you will not miss anythuing
    regards
    tattso
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys
    Im a lowlt lvl 40 fist bm which i love i can tank things as well as stay alive longer,
    I also have a 80 bm but that has axes,so id advixce accuracy as you will not miss anythuing
    regards
    tattso

Accuracy shards are used in axes, because axe users typically have really crappy accuracy from low dex. This means they need the gems for better hit chance. Also, they use skills, meaning their over-all damage isn't as affected by sharding damage as normal attackers are. Fist BMs already have good accuracy, and primarily do only normal attack with fists. If someone shards amber on fists, they should have the fists removed from their hands, and be repeatedly smacked with them. Along with high lvls sharding sapphires in melee only weapons.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    I'd never use any shards that increase elemental attributes, not worth it IMO.

1. I know in PVE that you'll have a harder time trying to kill "increased magic resistance" mobs or ones that are the same element will reduce your damage. Added up, you'll kill rather slow.
    2. There are powders, which makes most element shards typically useless (maybe not earth damage bonus or metal damage bonus shards, but then again might not really be helpful)

there is hope for you yet now lvl to 60 and actually learn the rest of the game mechanics
    Hey guys
    regards
    tattso

i had assumed these 2 where trolls since

1: a cash shopper thsi ignorant would be in full +10 with no interval and zerk fists with savants cause - chan speeds up attacks (im not kidding i have seen this abeit he only had +5 lunar...)

2:a poor (double meaning there) player doing this would die so much in bh that they would be invoulentarily level locked after every clerc in sever BL'd then to stop the "rez plox" spam

and seriously people will laugh at 80 gold fists
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    i used 80 gold fist. Simply because I liked its adds better then 80 green TT. (vitality woot) It was cheap to make too.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    i used 80 gold fist. Simply because I liked its adds better then 80 green TT. (vitality woot) It was cheap to make too.

+2% crit and nonfactor adds vs +50% weapon damage every proc +106 phys and +1% crit
    edited May 2010
    +2% crit and nonfactor adds vs +50% weapon damage every proc +106 phys and +1% crit

TT 80 doesn't add crit it adds dex. +106 max damage. and Yes a proc for increased phys dmg/def.

TT 80 Gold had +12 vit. (good for phys/magic attacks) +70 damage (not max better average damage) and 2% crit.

As a low vit build I liked the TT 80 gold better. I am always looking at equipment that helps make my bm better. Damage output for me was already a non-factor...

The only thing TT 80 Green has is its damage proc.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TaintedBlade - Sanctuary
    TaintedBlade - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Same reason i have mine, not up for losing 10 vit to change to a fist based on chance.

Think my question has been answered, garnet shards are the way to go, so thank you for those replies.
    edited May 2010
    Same reason i have mine, not up for losing 10 vit to change to a fist based on chance.

Think my question has been answered, garnet shards are the way to go, so thank you for those replies.

Well, in defense of the TT 80 green. Its add procs often.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Well, in defense of the TT 80 green. Its add procs often.

On long bosses, and with actual fist gear, it is pretty much going non-stop.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    To the OP: I would say use the rubies only if you want the style factor of green "sparkle" rings. Otherwise go with the garnets. Garnets are particularly good on fists because they boost a relatively low, non-variable physical attack... whereas with something like axes, the physical attack is already high and a garnet wouldn't do as much for them since they hit fewer times per second.

(I THINK I have that right...? XD)

Now me, I'm always a fan of getting people to stare and go "o.O" at my weapons. My BM used to use an Annihilator of Souls with 2 Flawless Garnets in it before getting Skywarrior at 70. That AoS is now on my main (for MQ bosses since talking those at range = raep ._.), along with:
    Vast Land w/1 Flawless Garnet & 1 Flawless Ruby (red/green rings)
    Windcatcher w/1 Flawless Topaz & 1 Flawless Turqouise (green/blue rings... because I can XD)

So yeah. Statistically garnets will always be better, but if you want green rings, get green rings, and don't let anyone tell you different. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Daikataro - Dreamweaver
    Daikataro - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    For fists, the best choice in any situation are garnets, because of their high attack speed

Into an axe, let's say you whack your enemy 5 times in 10 seconds, so you used the garnet's seemingly low damage 5 times

Now with a fist, you whack your enemy around 14 times, so you used the garnet 14 times

Don't waste your time and money with ambers, if you're able to use fists it means your dex is good enough as it is, and your acc therefore is good (we get more acc and eva per dex point than even archers), just wear a misty forest ring and forget about ambers completely

Oh yeah, the sapphires add magic ATTACK (not damage), which is only used when:
    a) you cast a spell that relies on magical attack and
    b) you're holding a weapon with magic attack

Since we BMs have neither of those, magic attack gems are useless on our weapons, garnets all the way for weapons, and if you're interested i say citrines are a pretty good choice for armor, the extra hp will save you quite a bit of exp on the long run (i've literally survived with 23 hp left, one less citrine in my gear and i would've died instead)

Oh yeah, as explained above the elemental shards won't be as useful because they add a fixed amount of damage (the attack increase effect of the garnets actually grows with your weapon and build), and mobs with increased magic resistance are nothing like the increased defense ones, the mag res cuts magic damage they take for like 65% or more, add the fact that you can encounter mobs with the same element or mobs with the element that is strong against yours (try fighting a metal mob with wood damage) and you will find physical damage is a better choice, since it's not influenced by the creature's elemental nature
    Originally Posted by frankieraye: To say that would be a lie, because in regards to the DQ problem, it's something that we're honestly still working on, and something that we believe we can fix.

(8)Don't stop! believing! hold onto that feeling!(8)