Best water pet?

_LeaderAlan_ - Lost City
_LeaderAlan_ - Lost City Posts: 128 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Venomancer
Hello, I am looking for the best water pet.

More so looking for a 7x water pet.

Thank you for any infomation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TY Forsaken
Post edited by _LeaderAlan_ - Lost City on

Comments

• Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Hello, I am looking for the best water pet.

More so looking for a 7x water pet.

Thank you for any infomation.

Most people regard the Level 80 Celestial Plumpfish as the best water pet, even though it doesn't have the best stats.

Water pets have such little use (unless you enjoy grinding underwater/doing dragon temple) that it generally isn't necessary to keep one leveled. So people just tame one near their level when they need to do something underwater, then discard it.

My Plumpfish is still level 84. b:surrender
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If you have a nix or even sawfly, you can kill mobs from the surface with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feruta - Heavens Tear
    Feruta - Heavens Tear Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Most people regard the Level 80 Celestial Plumpfish as the best water pet, even though it doesn't have the best stats.

Water pets have such little use (unless you enjoy grinding underwater/doing dragon temple) that it generally isn't necessary to keep one leveled. So people just tame one near their level when they need to do something underwater, then discard it.

Agreed, however at 7X there isn't much to choose from, so it's best to just squad up with people in the area, or get friends to help you. b:victory
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    My Highlands Tortoise (currently level 59) has had little trouble doing any of the water quests through the 70s. (Celestial plumpfish posed the biggest challenge.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I still had a Mermaid around lvl 53ish for the 7x quests & it still did fine. Use whatever you can find until 80, & then get a Celestial Plumpfish. Its no legendary pet, but its basically a Golem of the water. I've heard one of tho lvl 6 turtles can be better then a plumpfish, but that involves an investment of water pet levelling that frankly isnt worth it.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Technically - the level 5 highland tortoise (after levelling it up) is the best water tank, the lowest mermaid the best DD.

In practice, any turtle, or the plumpfish (which is a pretty big bump over the level 50 turtle) is more than good enough.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Level 5 turtle is the abysmal tortoise, highlands is level 8.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • lamenickname
    lamenickname Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Yeah lv.5 is different from the lv.8,it has better stats
    Don't knonw about pumplefish about I never see someone saying "The punplefish is better than the lv.5 turtle",nope,I always read"Get the level 80 water pet for the 70ish quests,its not worth levelling the turtle",now seriously,why every time someone asking for the best water pet never gets this kind of reply"The lv.80 one have better stat than a lv.80 swallowirlhd tortoise"?

I have a lv.60 turtle(The lv.5),and I can't care less getting any other water pet unless it has better stats,a lot of hours of grinding?,GREAT!,the more I grind,the more money I get right?.

Also a Venomancer should have more feelings on his pet,I still have the lv.3 Wolf(Levelled to 40),and I just can't discard it,guess why?
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    yes that turtle has better stats but i've never lvled a water pet. at 8x i got that plumpfish and removed from pet bag after 9x (no more bh69) and i have exactly zero reasons to fight water mobs now
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Apologies for getting the level5 and level8 names wrong.

Because, mainly, there's a huge gap of available water-prey between 35ish and 45ish and again from 55ish to 65ish.

And getting your water-pet across that hump is unpleasant - doubly so when you outlevel it.

Still, it's more than possible. good on you for being dedicated enough to do it.

The plumpfish advice is usually given to veno's who have a level 53ish water pet (it gains a few levels from the 50 quests) - haven't SEEN the water in over a month - and wonder how the heck they're going to get the water quests done.

The plumpfish also comes with a decent skill stack.
  • _LeaderAlan_ - Lost City
    _LeaderAlan_ - Lost City Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Ok, so Celestial Plumpfish and the low level turtle are the best water pets.

Now onto the other question were can I find a level 70-75 water pet for temp use.

Thank you for all the help so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TY Forsaken
  • drjiggle
    drjiggle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Now onto the other question were can I find a level 70-75 water pet for temp use.

There really isn't one, that's the fundamental problem. If I remember right from when I was doing these quests, the closest you can get is a level ~59ish undine of some sort, and it's horrible against those level 7x mobs. Dies all the time and can't hold aggro at all. My level 54 turtle was better, and it sucked too.

Really, your best bet is to find some people to join a squad with you. If that fails, just wait until you're level 80 to do the water quests and go back with your plumpfish.

I tried keeping one of the level 5 turtles even with me. It worked until 5x, and then it was just brutal. It takes too many kills per level, and there's not enough prey for him. It's really not worth the effort. The plumpfish is fine.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Ok, so Celestial Plumpfish and the low level turtle are the best water pets.

Thank you for all the help so far.

There's a lvl 51 turtle that should be more than adequate BUT I'd save some of those quests to help level / prelevel your future plumpfish on.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Because its new, there seems to be a lot of popularity towards the armoured arrowish (wicked teeth egg). Based on the premise that levelling a lower level pet is better than a tamed pet of its original higher level I just levelled an abysmal turtle to level 26, the same as my arrowfish.

The turtle is so much better than the arrowfish against the mutant turtle which I levelled on. The arrowfish does damage about 120 and the turtle does double or more - sorry i didnt bother with screen shots. The premise proved very true anyway.

The only reason Im not dumping the arrowfish is that I'll try and sell it, because it still easily does the water quests anyway....

But having said that I cant see myself dedicating the grinding time to get my turtle to level 80... not sure yet......
  • MahoNoNami - Dreamweaver
    MahoNoNami - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The best water pet I use is called a swimming tiger they take fairly well but the biggest downside is they have a mind of their own.

There is also a lvl85 fish near dragon temple that looks better then the lvl 80 but once tamed looks just like the lvl80 one.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    But having said that I cant see myself dedicating the grinding time to get my turtle to level 80... not sure yet......

I leveled a death dancer after I was significantly higher level and could 2-3 shot mobs to level it to a respectable level. I ended up with a lot of fungus ($). Wasn't happy with the Death Dancer (though it would be a great water lure pet), so I sold it. If it had been a turtle, well..

There is fishing in the Sea of Isolation, then in Unicorn Forest. I'm happy with my plumpfish, but wouldn't mind if I had taken the turtle route.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Jutte - Dreamweaver
    Jutte - Dreamweaver Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    The best water pet I use is called a swimming tiger they take fairly well but the biggest downside is they have a mind of their own.

There is also a lvl85 fish near dragon temple that looks better then the lvl 80 but once tamed looks just like the lvl80 one.

What in the heck are you going on about.
    None of that made sense.

Pets don't do anything they're not programmed to do -- and the pet you're talking about changing shapes, it sounds like a ****.
    Looking for better siggy! PM me for details.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xseoer
    xseoer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    *Spam like this is not allowed on the forums*
  • MahoNoNami - Dreamweaver
    MahoNoNami - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    What in the heck are you going on about.
    None of that made sense.

Pets don't do anything they're not programmed to do -- and the pet you're talking about changing shapes, it sounds like a ****.

LoL the swimming tiger is a barb sorry my strange mood joke. But the lvl85 water pet is a Asgard Plumpfish they have a fin on their back as a mob. When you tame it and hatch it the fin is gone and looks just like the Celestial Plumpfish. Maybe the Celestial Plumpfish has it also but I never notice it.