Memoirs of an NPC WINNERS!

Options
frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
header_030910_Memoirs.jpg
Oh boy!

After a couple of weeks and many late nights of reading your fantastic entries, we have finally come to a decision on the five winning Memoirs of an NPC entries!

I really must say that, particularly once we reached the top 15, it became extremely hard to narrow down our favorite essays. We were all extremely impressed by your writing ability, and the quality and volume of entries has convinced us to continue having creative writing competitions in the future :)

I'll also post many of the honorable mentions over the next week, so that you can all see what I mean.

So without further ado, here are your winners, each of whom will be receiving a Tidal Serpent mount!

Chiah the Dancer
by Janvier - Harshlands

I was happy once. Young and naive, a world of opportunity lay open
before me. As a dancer of unequaled skill, I was quickly gaining
renown. Through my dance I told the histories of our people, our
struggles, triumphs, joys and sorrows. I transported my audience to a
different time and place so that they both saw and experienced it.

From our first meeting, we became friends with the promise of more. I
was flattered by his attentions and quickly fell in love. He led me on
and I eagerly followed. He wooed me, but then told me of his
engagement to another. He confessed that his heart was divided but
that he was leaving me to fulfill his obligation to her. He left for
Etherblade.

My final, greatest, and most tragic performance was in Village of the
Oppressed. Enraged, inspiration struck. Through my dance I whipped the
audience into a rage. They felt my pain, anger, and grief. Infusing
them with my need for vengeance, they instantly transformed from
audience to mob. They caught my love on the shores of the Sea of
Isolation. I arrived as he drew his last breath. Our eyes met in that
final moment and I knew that he understood. I was justified,
vindicated and heartbroken.

Now I stand here, my career as tattered as my wedding gown, trying to
gain the courage to hurl myself from this tower; to join my love.
Still, my courage fails me.

zchiahthedancer.jpg
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• frankieraye
    edited April 2010
    Options

Wraithhunter Hu
    By Aria_Skye - Lost City

As the rain began to fall upon the battlefield the sounds of the wraiths could be heard for miles in all directions. We had begun the battle with more than a thousand troops, and yet, as the night progressed that number fell to but one hundred strong. As the wraith pressed on our numbers continued to fall until but only a handful of us remained. Desperate to find a miracle for my men I focused upon cutting a path to their leader. Bloodied and barely standing I reached my goal, coming face to face with his massive figure as I steadied my blade, summoning within me my the last of my resolve. Moving quickly so as to avoid his lance I began the brutal task of slaying the beast, and it was not until daybreak that it looked as if I might succeed. As I leapt to strike the final blow to his chest his claw found my own, sending me to the ground below as he too began to fall, my sword having found its mark. I found myself trapped beneath him, unable to move as swamp water invaded my lungs. I could feel his blood coursing into the wounds I had sustained, and to my horror I could feel myself begin to change, that demon's blood beginning to strengthen me. Even now my face serves as a reminder to what I have become; half human, half wraith. Always fighting the urge to feed to this day.

zwraithhunterhu.jpg
  • frankieraye
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Merchant Chin Lee
    by womansley - Sanctuary

People often ask why I trade an entire villa for a mere volume of history. I know this seems like a terrible trade. But remember, there are two sides to every coin. Let me share my side with you...

I was born the only son to a wealthy landowner in the City of a Thousand Streams. As such, I enjoyed the finest life money could buy. But money couldn't buy a woman's heart. I waited patiently, always searching for someone. One year, I got a pleasant surprise. Two amazing women had suddenly fallen in love with me. Unable to pick just one, I courted both. After all, dishonesty to these women meant honesty to my heart.

We corresponded often through letters. These I hid in one of the books in my father's vast library. It seemed like a good hiding spot. To my horror, a traveling merchant purchased several of my father's books, including the one that could incriminate me.

Desperate to reacquire this volume, I abandoned my family. I moved to an outlying village and spread word that I was paying handsomely for a particular volume of World History.
    This is how things are now. A villa may mean much to you, but little to me. Instead, the love I share with these two women means a great deal to me, and certainly less to you. This is my secret, and why I trade an entire villa for a mere volume of history.

zChinLee.jpg
  • frankieraye
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Apothecary Hu
    by AmberRaynes - Dreamweaver

Hu let her olive green eyes adjust to the setting sun as she watched the closing of the gates. She set her mortar and pestle off to the side and rose from her seat as the guards paused in their daily routine. The gates halted briefly as a young pup pushed his way into Sundown Town. His eyes shuffled from one to the next in frantic search until they met with hers. Without a word, she reaches for her satchel and moves to intercept the young whelp.

Hu moved to Sundown town shortly after the start of the war with the wraiths. Her arrival was not a welcoming sight since female apothecaries are extremely rare. Being such a male dominated position also lead to superstitious beliefs and she spent her first months shunned by the locals. It was not until the elder's son fell ill from a Leopardite Canisblade bite and his "miraculous" recovery was she finally accepted by the community. She is as fearless in her position as she is dedicated, sometimes venturing into the fields alone when her own curatives run low. She is currently working on using Valdia Plants that grow in the fields near the red jade crystals to counteract specific Leopardite Canisblade poisons and believes she is close to a breakthrough.

zapothecaryhu.jpg
  • frankieraye
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Little Girl
    by Adalynne - Sanctuary

Some would call me a vampire, others a specter, others still a siren. Such folly. I am all of these and none. The only certainty is that I am a monster.

I have traveled countless miles, countless years. I drift from place to place, hovering long enough to meet my needs but leaving before anyone suspects me of foul play. I came to the Lost City, expecting much of the same. However, the teleport master recognized me for what I am and begged me to make him immortal. I decided I might enjoy having a plaything and agreed to fulfill his wish. There was a condition, however. My one instinct is survival, after all. And so we worked out an arrangement.

Now I bide my time alone on a mountain outside the city. My "father" sends warriors to rescue me from the wolves that frequent the area. I do prefer the souls of young women- so sweet and untainted- but that is a rare treat. They are untrusting of me, jealous of my beauty, so they usually avoid me. The young werebeasts are different, pleased at my obvious womanhood and easy to lure into my trap. After feasting on their souls, I feed their bodies to the very wolves from which they were charged to save me. Of course I must allow a few to go free. For those less fortunate, I live for their terrified expressions when they realize that a "little girl" is the bringer of their death.

zlittle_girl.jpg
  • Q____Q - Dreamweaver
    Q____Q - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congratulations :)
  • Kismeta - Dreamweaver
    Kismeta - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    These are really good, I especially like the one about the dancer, and the merchant one... wish I could write like that, then maybe my English teacher would like me more b:laugh Congrats to the people getting the tidal serpant^^

-EDIT- damn I appear to have been ninja'd for 1st reply >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<- tyvm to ForsakenX for the sig, <3 ur work

Vanquish for life

Clerics are not your slaves, we do not exist to do your bidding. We also have names. Saying please does not take a lot of typing. I react very badly to being yelled at. Please do not do it.
    Its rather sad when people automatically assume you are a guy just because you are playing a veno....
    Live life to its fullest, learn from your mistakes, and most importantly, have fun. b:victory
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    O_O brillloiant stuff!
    although the Little Girl one creeps me out... o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congrats to the winners; all of the winner's entires look really good! I like Chiah's is my favourite, as well.
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    b:chuckle Grats to the winners
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Interesting entries? b:chuckle

Congrats to the winners :P
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I love Chiah's and the Merchant's. <3 Grats to the winners. :]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bellatriix - Archosaur
    Bellatriix - Archosaur Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Chiah's and Merchant's.. <3

Little Girl is.. interesting. ._.;

Congrats to the winners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I got a ss of acu and bella spawning.."
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congrats to the winners...but qq no elves? The merchant and the dancer and the Little girl were my favorites.

Waiiit, the little girl's story reminds me of "Let the Right One In" well just how she got started.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Gratz to the winners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Good stuff b:victory, congratulations to all the winners b:thanks.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Aria_skye - Lost City
    Aria_skye - Lost City Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thank you everyone, and grats to the other winners as well, great entries ^^
  • Silvychar - Sanctuary
    Silvychar - Sanctuary Posts: 3,576 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congratulations to all winners
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    b:pleased Happiness these are very good entries you deserve your place at the top.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, all I can say is it's about time. Congratulations to all the winners!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • konariraiden
    konariraiden Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congratulations to the winnars!

A winnar is them-desu!

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I present to you the winner of Konari's Signature Contest...SilversMoon from Heaven's Tear!
  • DivineMaiden - Dreamweaver
    DivineMaiden - Dreamweaver Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Great stories! Congrats! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SinCityChick - Dreamweaver
    SinCityChick - Dreamweaver Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Bummer...but great entries!! Congratz to all 5 winners!!

Question...is it just the winners that have a chance at being placed into the game as the NPC stories? Or will it be any well-written story that has a chance?
    For those times when *facepalm* and *headdesk* just aren't enough, I present...*brickhead*...painful, effective, and guaranteed to make you forget why you hit yourself in the first place.

R.I.P.:
    SkyLight (faction)
    Andracil (teh BEST MOD EVER!)
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congrats to the winners!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Very interesting! congratulations!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congrats to the winners...but qq no elves? The merchant and the dancer and the Little girl were my favorites.

Waiiit, the little girl's story reminds me of "Let the Right One In" well just how she got started.

That movie was so awful lol
  • Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    Ephemerai - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You guys are amazing at writing =) Props to everyone who entered, even if they didn't win.. I should've tried this, it sounded like fun. Too bad I missed it xD

But yeah, awesome stories =D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver
    VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    My favorite was the winner from Sanctuary. b:victory

Will there be a post of honorable mentions or runners-up? I'd like to read some more.
    - The Gaming Gearhead

My hero:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Fear_ - Raging Tide_1290177336
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congratulations to all the winners and I'm sure that the reason the judging took so long is because everybody's stories were fantastic! I know what I've read is awesome! BTW, where do you all get your super awesome banner sigs? They are sooo cool.
  • frankieraye
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Here's an honorable mention:

The Story of the Khatru Pup
    by Titheka - Lost City

As the runt of the litter my parents had no expectations of me. My parents named me after my great grandfather, Shaoquiang, hoping his greatness would rub off on me. I was usually left to my own devices and no one bothered me. Today however my father came and told me that the humans were coming to trade with us and that I was to keep one of the children company.

Her name was Momo and she wasn't a human but she had been raised by them. She told me she came from Archosaur and that she was an adventure assistant. She said it was fun but, it was lone... I knew that feeling and I wanted to comfort her.

It was near time for her to depart but at the last minute she turned to me and said "I know you are like me, lonely and in this society you feel unwanted, ... COME WITH ME! PLEASE! We will keep each other company on our travels!"

In my head I rejoiced happily, since I could not speak her language yet I simply nodded vigorously. She smiled and hugged me. For once in my life I felt... wanted and loved. That day I bid farewell to my pack and returned to Archosaur with Momo.

There were all types of people in Archosaur so I didn't feel awkward or different.

I belonged in this place.

I belonged with Momo.
  • Katagaria - Dreamweaver
    Katagaria - Dreamweaver Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    wow, congrats to all the winners. i'm very impressed with all the stories. my favorites were the dancer, the merchant and the little girl. i've always wondered why that little girl never went home. now i know she's an evil lil' monster. b:shocked
This discussion has been closed.