Marriage Quest-cautionary tale

zanbri
zanbri Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
So your thinking about getting married.

Here is something you might want to consider before you take the plunge.

1. Marriage packs.

Yes, it's expensive. The cost is 30 gold per pack unless they are on sale in the boutique then its 15 gold. You need 2, 1 bride and 1 groom. Is it worth it? With the right person, yes! You get a ton of experience on your wedding day. You also get a daily quest that gives you experience, a blue heart stone, mirage stone or a chance at a rare pet or rare mount. The pet and mount only drop during the daily quest not on your wedding day. I got my pet during the 2nd week.

Don't be talked into buying both packs. There are a few unscrupulous folks that will talk you into it, marry you, get the mass experience from the quest and then divorce you to move on to the next victim. (Or make life so unbearable you will be willing throw any amount of money at the Eldest Matchmaker to get away from them.) Awful way to gather lots of experience for free but they do it.

2. Partner.

Ask yourself before you want to take the plunge, "is this the person I want to quest with everyday for a year?" In order to get a diamond ring, it takes 300 heart stones. Rings currently do not have stats but PW is talking about adding some so the rumor goes.

Plus, in order to get your money out of what you spent to get married you really have to stay married for at least 6 months. That’s my opinion, others may say differently.

While doing the daily quest you must be partnered with your spouse. Leader gets the quests and shares it with their spouse. To avoid any mess ups, make sure your quest log has space for the quest, don't leave the squad during quest and don't add a 3rd person to the squad during the quest. This will make your quest fail and there is no do over. You have to wait until the next day before you can do it again.

3. Character.

Can you see yourself playing the same character for a year in order to get the stones? Do you really like the character you’re playing enough to last the duration?

4. Divorce.

If it doesn't work out, its heart breaking usually and its 2 million to get divorced from the Eldest Matchmaker. You don't need your spouse present to do this. No, you can not delete your character to get out of paying it. You have divorce first before you can delete it. While you’re married you can't blacklist your partner either. Guess PW wants you to keep the line of communication open just in case. Either way it’s messy and costly.

Feel free to add your experiences, comments or suggestions to this post.
Post edited by zanbri on

Comments

• SilversMoon - Heavens Tear
    SilversMoon - Heavens Tear Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Hmm .. sounds as though u had the bad part of marriage experience b:embarrass
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Cool story b...

Hey wait! That's not a cautionary tale, that's a freaking guide to marriage. The hell?

And here I thought PWI was only a game and there was no need to be so serious...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You could always make 2 characters and have them get married, problem solved. unless u have split personalities...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You could always make 2 characters and have them get married, problem solved. unless u have split personalities...lol

Haha b:chuckle.
    Cool story b...

Hey wait! That's not a cautionary tale, that's a freaking guide to marriage. The hell?

And here I thought PWI was only a game and there was no need to be so serious...

+1.

I hope this post is just common sense to people, dont forget alot of females on the game may be pixelated females but on the other side of the screen is some 40 year old in his mums basement licking his lips at you b:chuckle. Of course females do play this game but you can never be to careful b:pleased.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    My ingame husband payed for both packs. o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Majesta - Dreamweaver
    Majesta - Dreamweaver Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I must say, getting married was the best thing that ever happened to me ingame. I love my _Barbwire_ dearly and I can't imagine gaming life without him!

My hubby and me got married almost a year ago now, long before the MQ got added.
    We both payed our own pack, even if he would've wanted to buy both packs i wouldn't have let him, i guess he knew that b:cute (oh and we didnt buy em via the boutique; grind grind baby. And a good friend who made a great deal for us)
    When I got the meaning of melee mixed up:
    'Maj.. Melee ffs.. means I'm punching you in the face 1 foot away!'
    >.<
  • EthikaII - Heavens Tear
    EthikaII - Heavens Tear Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    o.o...................not sure what to say.. xD

My hubby bought both packs for us. we even only know in game..(hopeing for more one day <3) the first charecters we got married on was cleric and archer now they're sitting at 83, cuase he likes his bm more which im working on with my veno, and he wants to get married in game agian o.o

I feel bad about this simply cuase i can't repay him xS. I'm not sure how he can be comfortable spending money on someone he hasn't seen in rl.some men just confuse me this way o.o". i love and enjoy being with him alot though :)

all i can say is its best to just get married in game to someoen you've known for a while (we've known eachother/liked(love b:avoid) for a year now.

I know some ppl on HT marry completly for money. i know someone who'se been married/devoriced 3-4 times cuase she's been caught as a gold digger <.< which has earned her a bad rep in game but guess if you simple marry for exp/rep without completly knowing them, thats what your asking for.
    Retired Sage.
    Moving to alts till they fix GBA boss ;(
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Just cause you disband squad doesn't mean the quest will fail. Just make sure the same person who started the quest starts the squad and you'll be fine. I have purposely dc'ed many times in the middle of marriage quest (lag and the npc doesn't show up), restarted the squad and finish just fine.

FYI: I am one of those people who bought both packs long before the quest came out... or should i say the dead noobs on the floor bought both of the packs for us.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    o.o feels like i'm the one with more of a story here... LOL

Lets see... Go back to the end of November of 2009 in Harshlands... Extremely long story made short...

This one guy I was suppose to get married to... I got super mad at him (which I really regret now) and I stopped talking to him for a while right?

Somehow meantime this one guy and I start talking in South Archosaur and before I know it, we swap numbers and text and a few days later I buy both packs and marry him instead xD

To make it even shorter without all the heartbreaking of knowing I ruined a good friendship.. (I'm already making it long aren't I LOL) I pretty much regret I married the guy just as a revenge thing and I tell the original guy I married the other guy by showing him my character..

He gets super mad and understandably ignores me right? xD... And a few weeks later... The guy I did marry quit the game LOL

So yeah... xD... Thats my story... You can tell why I moved to Raging Tide when it came out... lol...
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You forgot the most important one.

5. If you're marrying purely for the daily quest, take into account the actual quest is heavily bugged. If you get disconnected or log off the quest will usually instantly fail or be unable to progress. Occasionally quest NPC's will be missing or marriage quest mobs wont drop the necessary quest item. PW currently have no real plans to fix these bugs.
  • Bellatriix - Archosaur
    Bellatriix - Archosaur Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Does the ring even do anything?

Right now my manwhore and I just do the quest for EXP and spirit. D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I got a ss of acu and bella spawning.."
  • Alliptica - Lost City
    Alliptica - Lost City Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    i still think marriage should be between ppl who love eachother b:cute
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    zanbri wrote: »
    Yes, it's expensive. The cost is 30 gold per pack unless they are on sale in the boutique then its 15 gold. You also get a daily quest that gives you experience, a blue heart stone, mirage stone or a chance at a rare pet or rare mount. The pet and mount only drop during the daily quest not on your wedding day.

The packs *used* to go on sale for 15 gold, before they added the quests. Since they have added the quests the sale price has risen to 20 gold and has not gone lower. Don't expect to see marriage packs back on sale for anything less than 20 gold, because now they have experience value, not just a sentimental one.

There are no marriage quest mounts. You have a chance to get an all class pet such as a lochmur, crab or bubble fish.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Kotasha - Dreamweaver
    Kotasha - Dreamweaver Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for posting this. My RL spouse asked me if we should get married in PW, and I wanted to explain some of the costs and downfalls to it. I will refer to this thread.
    I haven't decided if it's worth it to pursue yet. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Rosaly_ - Lost City
    _Rosaly_ - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    zanbri wrote: »
    Don't be talked into buying both packs. There are a few unscrupulous folks that will talk you into it, marry you, get the mass experience from the quest and then divorce you to move on to the next victim. (Or make life so unbearable you will be willing throw any amount of money at the Eldest Matchmaker to get away from them.) Awful way to gather lots of experience for free but they do it.
    I still don't believe that my ex-husband was in it only for the exp, but my horror story does seem similar to this.

I was dumb enough to get impatient and buy both packs when I married him (granted, he had been grinding for the coins a while already), but almost as soon as his name appeared over my head, he became a possessive, jealous bully. We only met on PWI and although we had been very fond of eachother, we kept a distance by realizing it was highly unlikely that we would ever meet.

Very rapidly after the wedding, his behaviour changed to the extent where it caused me stress in real life. I was always expecting to be yelled at by him for something, be it either because he rushed into a room without buffs, dieing and blaming me or for being too friendly with people I had known since level 1.

If we weren't squaded together, I was always expecting whispered questions about my whereabouts and squad members. When finally we had had a conversation in which he mentioned it 'takes two to kiss' (someone had pressed the embrace button while holding me) and my friends pointed out that I didn't seem to be the cheerfull happy person they knew before, I realized this was not adding to my gaming fun, but to my RL stress instead.

I rushed over to Arch and divorced him as quickly as possible. Maybe this wasn't the most decent way of getting rid of him (I had been trying to solve it by talking to him, but this had not proven to be successfull), but I was at the point where I just needed out of it! Ofcourse this caused some drama, he and his friends even made me 'semi-famous' on WC for it, but I have not looked back with regret even once. After explaining to some mutual friends, they even respected my decision. I haven't lost one friend over this and I am happy as a bug again now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bellatriix - Archosaur
    Bellatriix - Archosaur Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The packs *used* to go on sale for 15 gold, before they added the quests. Since they have added the quests the sale price has risen to 20 gold and has not gone lower. Don't expect to see marriage packs back on sale for anything less than 20 gold, because now they have experience value, not just a sentimental one.

There are no marriage quest mounts. You have a chance to get an all class pet such as a lochmur, crab or bubble fish.

b:cry I want one so badly!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I got a ss of acu and bella spawning.."
  • Andromaka - Heavens Tear
    Andromaka - Heavens Tear Posts: 925 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    marriage is like lottery (even in RL) it might go right or it might go wrong. It is up to you if you take the risk or live/play safe but lonely. All i can say is that my 2nd marriage IG was a lucky one, we married 1-2 months before MQ came out and we are happy b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cupcake - Raging Tide
    Cupcake - Raging Tide Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    :o You can't BL your spouse? Haha, I never knew this... Of course, I never tried either. Wish I had tried while I was still married. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:shocked
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    b:cry I want one so badly!

I npc'd mine... it looked like a freaking weird muppet :<
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    Quinnie - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Does the ring even do anything?

Right now my manwhore and I just do the quest for EXP and spirit. D:

the gem and both the rings give no stats and got no use, mayby in the future they might get some use but currently their worthless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zanbri
    zanbri Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2010

Yes, there was a reason I made this post. I have probably been asked 100 times to get married. I always ran when things got too personal and commitment was on the line. Lol, I guess I should have kept running. So I decided what the hell, I'd change my ways and try it. It's not easy trying to find the perfect partner. So many variables had to be taken into consideration. He had to be around the same level as me to quest, be on the same schedule, had to be a good player, be intelligent, mature, witty, not drive me crazy with emotes, etc. You get the idea. Well, I found him. We met during an FB39. We both like the way we played together and we continued to play everyday for months. We were the perfect couple. By the time we both reached our late 70's, I decided it was time. So I proposed. I was nervous as hell. I was used to being on the receiving end not the other way around. This was still a huge decision in my book, so I gave him 2 weeks to back out but he didn’t. We had a bit of a rough start with all the bugs in the quest but it was cool. I was happy. No honey moon however? Hmm.. The next day everything came to a screeching halt. He changed his routine and suddenly he was not longer available to me. Bh’s and quests were done without me. No more hugs and kisses. What happened? After about 3 weeks of this I couldn’t take it any more. My heart was in pain and my gut told me there was someone else. I confronted him but didn’t get a denial or confirmation. Instead I was told I was paranoid and insecure? Hmm. That didn’t really sit well when I saw red flags were everywhere telling me something was definitely wrong. Well things came to a head after an incident with another woman that took place in Arch. After some commotion on my part and no response from him, I coughed up the money and divorced him. Now I know some of you are saying, “It’s just a game” “Don’t take it personally”. I won’t say you are completely wrong there. However you have to build relationships to accomplish end game. Relationships are made with real people which means with real feelings. I’ll chalk this up to Karma and get over my heart break eventually. My heart also goes out to all those that have suffered the same and feels the joy of those that haven’t. Please keep sharing your posts us. Thank you.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I kinda regret getting married, because I'll openly admit it actually changed me for the worse temporarily. And I mean when the quest came in. We got married ages ago when gold was 100k, saved up the coin together and it was really nice. And when the quest came in we did it every day, and the exp was nice and my wife leveled up pretty fast without having to commit too much time to the game (lots of college work)

But eventually I got a little too fussy over catching the quest every day, same way people force themselves to do all dailies, I felt I was falling behind and "losing exp" if I missed a day. When I got annoyed at my wife for refusing to log on to do the quest, I had to stop and admit to her I was taking it a little too far. I never did a marriage quest from that day. Felt a ton better for it too, despite frequent remarks on my slow leveling from others.

Once you add exp and rewards that you only get if your other half helps you, it only adds pressure to a relationship.

Sadly the story didn't have a happy ending lol. My wife (irl gf, ex now) decided she didn't like me playing mmo's at all, that it was affecting my temper a little and I needed to focus on my real life. Fair enough, she had some points. She was more important than the game, so I cut down drastically. Which wasn't enough it seems, so I quit, gave away every single item and equip and uninstalled. And so she dumped me, without any reason. Gotta love life. b:chuckle
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I kinda regret getting married, because I'll openly admit it actually changed me for the worse temporarily. And I mean when the quest came in. We got married ages ago when gold was 100k, saved up the coin together and it was really nice. And when the quest came in we did it every day, and the exp was nice and my wife leveled up pretty fast without having to commit too much time to the game (lots of college work)

But eventually I got a little too fussy over catching the quest every day, same way people force themselves to do all dailies, I felt I was falling behind and "losing exp" if I missed a day. When I got annoyed at my wife for refusing to log on to do the quest, I had to stop and admit to her I was taking it a little too far. I never did a marriage quest from that day. Felt a ton better for it too, despite frequent remarks on my slow leveling from others.

Once you add exp and rewards that you only get if your other half helps you, it only adds pressure to a relationship.

Sadly the story didn't have a happy ending lol. My wife (irl gf, ex now) decided she didn't like me playing mmo's at all, that it was affecting my temper a little and I needed to focus on my real life. Fair enough, she had some points. She was more important than the game, so I cut down drastically. Which wasn't enough it seems, so I quit, gave away every single item and equip and uninstalled. And so she dumped me, without any reason. Gotta love life. b:chuckle

the joys of love <3.
  • Anchali - Heavens Tear
    Anchali - Heavens Tear Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    oh damn you peoples have drama stories D:

lets see how my story goes.... i accidentally said "wouldnt it be funny if we got married? LMFAO (i said that bc we were good in game friends)." then by my surprised he said "actually thats possible." then a week later we got married in which we paid for our own packs. then he got busy with RL so he gave me his account info to do MQ. then i got busy with RL too so i only log on once every couple days to do MQ, and maybe bh if i have extra time. my story is simple stuff compared to you guys. D:

lmao she made up a GOOD **** reason. but her reason at the end, which was no reason, failed haha

"you play too much games"

*uninstalls game*

"i...i....i still dont like you* *Dumps*

epic hehe
    archer is awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowDrag - Lost City
    ShadowDrag - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited April 2010

lol yea =(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pchan - Dreamweaver
    Pchan - Dreamweaver Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You forgot the most important one.

5. If you're marrying purely for the daily quest, take into account the actual quest is heavily bugged. If you get disconnected or log off the quest will usually instantly fail or be unable to progress. Occasionally quest NPC's will be missing or marriage quest mobs wont drop the necessary quest item. PW currently have no real plans to fix these bugs.

b:cry I had to stop doing my MQ because my husband d/cs frequently and strangely, he always d/cs before we get to the first NPC. Honestly, I think it's not fair for those who has to suffer a disqualification for the quest because of something beyond our control happens and that they should give us at least 30 to 60 minutes in advance before a fail notice comes up if a d/c or computer crash shall occur. (for anyone in PWI who is responsible in coordinating the MQ idea: you have to take in concern that not everyone has new computers or T3 internet connection everyday! b:sweat)
  • PlumDumb - Heavens Tear
    PlumDumb - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    im in my 7th month of marriage to my ingame wife,teammate,and now great friend.We got married before the exp **** but yeah its awsome to have it and would have well over 100 stones btu we been working on our alts..so that tells u how much we really care about the exp..we dont..so we do have i think 4 more stones to get the 100 stone ring.i plan on marrying our alts as wellb:victory

and oh if u dc during marriage quest DO NOT RESQUAD or it will fail.you will have to continue the quest solo and so wil your partner.has anyone ever tried marriage quest with another married person to see if that works???
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    i still think marriage should be between ppl who love eachother b:cute

I swear you were a fishey b:surrender.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    indeed i am. and gratz on 1k posts
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Nannako - Lost City
    Nannako - Lost City Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    and oh if u dc during marriage quest DO NOT RESQUAD or it will fail.you will have to continue the quest solo and so wil your partner.has anyone ever tried marriage quest with another married person to see if that works???

Aw, there've been some bad experiences here with marriages b:sad
    I guess i'm one of the lucky ones. RL hubby and i decided to get married in game as well. He was complaining that he's had to pay for two weddings now b:chuckle

Anyways, if one of you dc during mq, just wait for the other to log back on (as stated above, dont squad anyone else in the meantime) and when your partner logs back on, get back into party, make sure you have the same leader as before and your quest will still be there. b:pleased
This discussion has been closed.