Is there any way to change the background music?

Options
MermaidMan - Dreamweaver
MermaidMan - Dreamweaver Posts: 17 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area, but here's to hoping that I did. In any case also posted it in the Tech Support one too. I won't take it the wrong way if one of my posts ends up in the trash. ^^;

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's any way to change the background music that you hear when you walk into a town (for example) or when you're out grinding mobs. To be honest, I don't like PW's music that much. It's alright, but it's not my type of thing to listen to soothing, relaxing music while I'm getting my **** handed to me on a silver platter by mobs 3 levels higher than me. xD

So my questions are: Is there any way to change the music? If so, is it legal to do so? (Meaning I won't get banned for doing it.) And of course, if it is possible... how do I do it? ^^;

By the way, yes, I know I can just mute the music in-game and listen to whatever music I want on any media player... but that's not what I'm looking for. I want a specific song for every place I walk to and I don't want to have to leave the game and change the song every time I walk into a different area.

I'll appreciate any help, thanks for reading. :)
Post edited by MermaidMan - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited April 2010
    Options
    PW's music is set by location, not by action, so the idea of music for grinding doesn't really work. Sacred had a nice audio system where it changed based on what was going on, but PWI doesn't have that.

You could concievably change the music tracks by unpacking the file, replacing the tracks with different tunes, (they would have to have the original names and bitrates though,) and then repacking the file.

Problem is, it would only last until the next patch, AND it would be violating TOS because you are tinkering with the files.

Real Solution: Turn off the music and fire off your MP3 Library in the background. (Only time I prefer to use windows media player over winamp because the keyboard track features still work when in game, where Winamp and other players don't.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You could concievably change the music tracks by unpacking the file, replacing the tracks with different tunes, (they would have to have the original names and bitrates though,) and then repacking the file.

Real Solution: Turn off the music and fire off your MP3 Library in the background. (Only time I prefer to use windows media player over winamp because the keyboard track features still work when in game, where Winamp and other players don't.)

Actually, the mp3's are not compressed, they're a separate Music folder in the installation\Element sub-directory. You can freely listen to them even when not playing the game, and if you want you could replace them with other tracks... I really don't think that PWI staff would advocate this, however you're not affecting or modifying any files that would affect or change gameplay or get you banned... but why risk it.

Exactly... turn off the music, play something from your playlist instead. It's really not all that difficult to do both. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Karst - Dreamweaver
    Karst - Dreamweaver Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Actually, the mp3's are not compressed, they're a separate Music folder in the installation\Element sub-directory. You can freely listen to them even when not playing the game, and if you want you could replace them with other tracks... I really don't think that PWI staff would advocate this, however you're not affecting or modifying any files that would affect or change gameplay or get you banned... but why risk it.

Not entirely true. The files are there, but those are not the ones the game uses.
    This is also proven by the fact the tideborn music is missing along with one of the menu themes.
  • MermaidMan - Dreamweaver
    MermaidMan - Dreamweaver Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ah well... It's true, why risk it over something as trivial as music? :/

I know I can use my mp3 player and what not, in my case Windows Media Player, and I do have the same keyboard shortcuts for "next track" and what not, but I'm just extremely lazy and don't want to fish around for the right song. xD

Oh well... I'll have to suck it up. ^^; Thanks for responding so quickly everyone, I appreciate it.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Not entirely true. The files are there, but those are not the ones the game uses.
    This is also proven by the fact the tideborn music is missing along with one of the menu themes.

Oh ok. I've listened to the music maybe 3 times since I started playing over a year ago, so yeah, I just know what I see in the folders, not what might actually be there. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Itunes is also a good solution, as the media liobrary is pretty simple to use, as it sorts the songs to its corresponding albums
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Actually, the mp3's are not compressed, they're a separate Music folder in the installation\Element sub-directory." <FALSE. some are provided but I don't think were provided intentionally

The songs are compressed in the pck files in OGG format. I pulled the music files out from it myself (I coppied the pck, I didn't edit it) because everyone wanted the music for MP3 players and such. I have them hosted but the service I use still hasn't reset my bandwidth (like they should have a week ago)
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Delete everything but the rebirth music, put the rebirth music in every music file slot.

AW YEAUH.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Just decided to test this MP3 factoid you guys are saying is false by replacing one of the files there with my own music.

If you guys are right, the music in-game would be unaffected.... but since my in-game music WAS changed, that means you're kinda wrong on it being completely false. Naturally, I changed it back after testing.

(for those curious, just switch out city_a1 or city_a2 and then load up the client and walk into Archo)
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited April 2010
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    Just decided to test this MP3 factoid you guys are saying is false by replacing one of the files there with my own music.

If you guys are right, the music in-game would be unaffected.... but since my in-game music WAS changed, that means you're kinda wrong on it being completely false. Naturally, I changed it back after testing.

(for those curious, just switch out city_a1 or city_a2 and then load up the client and walk into Archo)

You can't just swap out the files in the directory. Those music files are remnants from an older client.
    All the music files are now compressed in a file named sfx.pck. It is possible to extract this file, change the music files from the extracted folders, repack it, and have different music.
    You could take a track from Metallica, rename it city_a1, repack it in the file and have it play. But it's got to be done in the sfx.pck file, not in the game directories.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Why are we still talking about this (and talking about testing this) when it was already said that it is bannable?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Merely dropping an MP3 to the music folder isn't modifying game files, in fact, those buff timers people use aren't more innocent than this. (They don't modify, but they do hook to the client)
    You can't just swap out the files in the directory.

While it's true that every music file is in sfx.pck (very obvious due to it's size), the game looks for said file in the music folder. If no file is found, it loads it from sfx.pck.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Merely dropping an MP3 to the music folder isn't modifying game files, in fact, those buff timers people use aren't more innocent than this. (They don't modify, but they do hook to the client)

Buff Timers?

While it's true that every music file is in sfx.pck (very obvious due to it's size), the game looks for said file in the music folder. If no file is found, it loads it from sfx.pck.

And i see, so u'r saying that i could drop a mp3 in the music folder and not get banned? im not seeing it b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool