Stop using male pronouns for everything

lymphocyte
lymphocyte Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
Everywhere I go, people are calling bosses he or him. What makes that boss male? Does the boss show male sex characteristics? no. So call the boss an it. And I see it here on the forums, when someone has a faceless avatar, people automatically assume the person is male and call them he or him. Guess what, not everyone is male! Females do exist! Take that into consideration and when you talk about someone who's gender is unspecified, say he or she, or them.
Post edited by lymphocyte on

Comments

• BIaze_ - Heavens Tear
    BIaze_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    lymphocyte wrote: »
    Everywhere I go, people are calling bosses he or him. What makes that boss male? And I see it here on the forums, when someone has a faceless avatar, people automatically assume the person is male and call them he or him. Guess what, not everyone is male! Females do exist! Take that into consideration and when you talk about someone who's gender is unspecified, say he or she, or them.

or you can say: it :D
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Cool story, females do exist but they are a dying breed on PWI. It really isn't something to get annoyed about though, im sure there are more annoying things to do with PW then someone calling Fushma a he b:surrender.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Evga - Sanctuary
    Evga - Sanctuary Posts: 779 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    my rules of the online world:

Everybody is considered male, unless there is absolute proof of otherwise.

can't be too careful, who knows what kind of people lurk behind the veil of the internet. for bosses... shrug. Maybe it's because male = more scary b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • losstarot
    losstarot Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    There is no third-person gender-neutral pronoun in English and them is incorrect to use when referring to one.

He is usually implied to be gender-neutral when sex is unknown (and since people don't pay attention to lore and that the devs were lazy telling in inputting lore, it usually is).
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    im not a guy and i get very angry when ppl call me a guy
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    We can say whatever we like, Mr.Lymphocyte.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • losstarot
    losstarot Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I never tell my sex in game, and prefer to have people guessing; of course, most don't care and juse use he/him.

In short, blame English, or use some quasi-correct term like it, one, s/he or (s)he, or Ne
  • chiiro
    chiiro Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Why do we have to call bosses he/she when boats are always she? D':
    Jokes aside, if the boss doesn't have an obvious gender, it's an it to me.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Whether you use he or she, when you have no clue of gender there's always a chance you'll be wrong. And frankly, this happens less when using male pronouns. Using all 3 of them for everything just makes you look plain stupid.

person1: Does anybody know where this boss is?
    person2: he/she/it is in fb51.

And I don't see why we should care anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Something with unknown gender = He
    Though some bosses are obviusly female. Qianji in FB59 as most obviusly

And yes, until I KNOW someone is a girl, it's a guy for me.
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • lymphocyte
    lymphocyte Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Something with unknown gender = He
    Though some bosses are obviusly female. Qianji in FB59 as most obviusly
    Yeah, and people still call it a he -.- I think they should call all bosses it.
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, and people still call it a he -.- I think they should call all bosses it.
    Good for you. I think Santa Clause exists, and that the monkey under my bed is plotting to burn down Washington, D.C.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Everywhere I go, people are calling bosses he or him. What makes that boss male? And I see it here on the forums, when someone has a faceless avatar, people automatically assume the person is male and call them he or him. Guess what, not everyone is male! Females do exist! Take that into consideration and when you talk about someone who's gender is unspecified, say he or she, or them.

The term "Them" or "they" implies multiple people. Using the terms "he or she" and "his or her's" becomes very cumbersome, difficult to read, and makes it sound more like a legal document. Referring to a noun as "it" implies it has no gender. Statistically, refering to something or someone as male in this game is correct much more often than not.

Females are also better at taking it than males. Most of the time, girl's don't even register if you call them "he" or "him", but call a guy "she" or "her" and he'll get really offended. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    for me everything with a male char I call he, everything with female char is she.
    If it's a veno I wait till that person says what gender... bosses.. I don't care.. if it's obviously female.. then it's she.. if not.. he >_>

if ppl think I'm a guy at first because they dunno I'm a girl.. I'll just laugh. don't get all worked up about it. Nobody cares.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Maybe it's because male = more scary b:laugh

Like Evga b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asmodiel - Heavens Tear
    Asmodiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,442 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The time you spend thinking on wether it's a he/she/it could easily be used to kill the damn thing.
    "One of the most important factors, not only in military matters but in life as a whole, is ... the ability to direct one's whole energies towards the fulfillment of a particular task." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Man - Raging Tide
    Man - Raging Tide Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Everywhere I go, people are calling bosses he or him. What makes that boss male? Does the boss show male sex characteristics? no. So call the boss an it. And I see it here on the forums, when someone has a faceless avatar, people automatically assume the person is male and call them he or him. Guess what, not everyone is male! Females do exist! Take that into consideration and when you talk about someone who's gender is unspecified, say he or she, or them.

she is right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    English fail.

No, seriously, English fails. The lack of gender neutral pronouns when talking about a person of unknown gender is a well known problem with English.

If you look through a bunch of my past posts you'll probably find me using the o-so-lovely terms "he or she" or "his or her", because I'm trying to write things correctly, but the damn English language won't let me do it without sounding like an idiot.

Meanwhile, 99% of the rest of English speakers just use "he", which is easier and sounds better, or "they" which is also easier and sounds better, even though both are technically wrong, rather than sound like an idiot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • _Leif - Lost City
    _Leif - Lost City Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I dare you to look at wurlord or ancient evil and tell me its a chick
  • Fruitluips - Lost City
    Fruitluips - Lost City Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    fushy.jpg
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    English fail.

No, seriously, English fails. The lack of gender neutral pronouns when talking about a person of unknown gender is a well known problem with English.

If you look through a bunch of my past posts you'll probably find me using the o-so-lovely terms "he or she" or "his or her", because I'm trying to write things correctly, but the damn English language won't let me do it without sounding like an idiot.

Meanwhile, 99% of the rest of English speakers just use "he", which is easier and sounds better, or "they" which is also easier and sounds better, even though both are technically wrong, rather than sound like an idiot.

In French, there's very little neutrality (this/that and such, probably the only time you'll find it). Mostly because everything as a gender. Everything. "La chatte" (the FEMALE cat), "le chat" (the MALE cat, or a cat you don't know the gender of, ie. neutral use). "Il pleut" (litt. "he rains", but "it rains" since the act of raining has no gender. Defaulted to male pronouns.)

As far as English my knowledge goes, "It" IS a gender-neutral... but also refers to objects. People hate being referred as objects - and I understand - so I go with "he".

That and I'm male. Everything is male to me unless proved otherwise. I'll correct my speech though, but if you play on something from you opposite gender, I'll tend to use character's gender by force of habit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    good luck OP. you know what im sick of?

STOP ABBREVIATING EVERYTHING ON UNSTRESSED SYLLABLES

its not a nix, its a PHOEnix
    its not a veno, its a venoMANcer
    its not a sin, its an aSSASSin

the stupid phoenix abbreviation is the one that really grinds my gears, because its lice removal shampoo.

OOOO even more annoying

STOP CALLING SALES/PACK ITEMS 'EVENT STUFF, SALES ARE NOT EVENTS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I dare you to look at wurlord or ancient evil and tell me its a chick

dunno, does it break your heart if you know they are tranny? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    female bosses have ****.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    as do most males who play archers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    female bosses have ****.

+1.

Why are people getting so worked up about it lol most female chars are men anyway, some will deny it but most are men. Most of the players on pw are male so if you call everything he you will be right more often that you are wrong,
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    good luck OP. you know what im sick of?

STOP ABBREVIATING EVERYTHING ON UNSTRESSED SYLLABLES

its not a nix, its a PHOEnix
    its not a veno, its a venoMANcer
    its not a sin, its an aSSASSin

the stupid phoenix abbreviation is the one that really grinds my gears, because its lice removal shampoo.

OOOO even more annoying

STOP CALLING SALES/PACK ITEMS 'EVENT STUFF, SALES ARE NOT EVENTS.

The points of abbreviations is to make a "long" word recognizable even shortened for practical usage. "Venomancer" abbreviated as "man" would sound really awkward "TT2-3 LF MAN, PM me" since it shares a common word, man. Kinda like what's going on with "sin" and the actual word sin. Yet referring to an "assassin" as a "sin" is better than to refer to it as "****" IMO... "ssass" would kill the whole point of abbreviating it. Thus the "long" with quotation marks. It's more practical, but indeed gets confusing to new players.

At least the interface for PWI is in ONE language...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    LOL this thread's just making me laugh b:laugh
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    no u.

Bad enough trying to filter through all the BR talk everywhere, I think we're far from trying to make minor improvements to English.

But the OP sure sounds mad. He's so mad.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    It's by definition the correct term to use.
    he 1 (h)
    pron.
    a. Used to refer to the man or boy previously mentioned or implied.
    b. Used to refer to a male animal.
    2. Usage Problem Used to refer to a person whose gender is unspecified or unknown:

Traditionally the pronouns he, him, and his have been used as generic or gender-neutral singular pronouns,

"He" definition

And isn't it amazing since there is nothing really to QQ about in the forums this is what someone comes up with..just wow....
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.