definition of a scammer

Options
VickysLove - Raging Tide
VickysLove - Raging Tide Posts: 21 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
please explain. no flames or this will be locked.
whos alt could i be? look at the green and you shall see b:chuckle
Post edited by VickysLove - Raging Tide on

Comments

• IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    please explain. no flames or this will be locked.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scammer

Main Entry: 2scam
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): scammed; scam

In other words:
    Main Entry: fraud
    Pronunciation: \ˈfrȯd\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English fraude, from Anglo-French, from Latin fraud-, fraus
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick
    2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor; also : one who defrauds : cheat b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be

Hope that helps.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    A scammer is someone who commits scams.

A scam is when someone lies or cheats to trick someone into doing something, typically for the best interest of the person commiting the scam. Basically its a form of stealing.

For example the following are scams:

- Claiming a common or worthless item is rare or valuable (like gold foil).
    - Purposefully tricking someone into paying more then they intended to pay. Like catshops selling c/s stones, and one of the stones they are selling is 10x the price of the other ones.
    - Tricking someone into buying something they thought was something else, like catshops that sell c/s stones, and change some of them for the more common ones.
    - Not fufilling your end of the deal in an exchange of services. Such as kicking someone who just wined a BH and not paying them.

These are not scams. They might be slimy or moraly grey, but not scams:

- Selling things over-priced, if you're being honest about it. Like people who sell subs and potions near TT, or people taking advantage of low supply and upping their prices.

- Buying things for cheaper than market value, so people can dump their items on you.

- Buying and selling the same item to make a profit. (This is how stores irl make money after all)

- Charging for services, which some people think should be free, such as rezing, tanking, healing, buffs ect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • VickysLove - Raging Tide
    VickysLove - Raging Tide Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    if someone goes in an instance, and intentionally walks away with a mold that dropped in their bag but was supposed to go to the tabber/winer, does that make the person a scammer?
    whos alt could i be? look at the green and you shall see b:chuckle
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    if someone goes in an instance, and intentionally walks away with a mold that dropped in their bag but was supposed to go to the tabber/winer, does that make the person a scammer?

No, that is a low move and probably right down sleezy. That person is someone you should add to your Blacklist and not party with in the future.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • konariraiden
    konariraiden Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

Jaz is right; it is kind of a gray area. Heck, even I'm unsure of it...

...if anything, I could check with section 11 of the Terms of Service (found here, and if you still feel like the person broke that term, then please send a ticket in ASAP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I present to you the winner of Konari's Signature Contest...SilversMoon from Heaven's Tear!
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I can't imagine that it would actually violate Section 11.

"(j) Engage in any actions that defraud or attempt to defraud, scam or cheat others out of any items that have been earned through authorized game play;"

That is the only thing it could have possibly violated, but the idea of winer getting drops is kind of a player-made form of etiquette. It is worthy of the name-and-shame on the World Chat, but it is in no way actually scamming because they received that drop in the way the game was designed, and therefore it is their choice to give it over or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    but the idea of winer getting drops is kind of a player-made form of etiquette. It is worthy of the name-and-shame on the World Chat, but it is in no way actually scamming because they received that drop in the way the game was designed, and therefore it is their choice to give it over or not.
    i agree

-retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Q__o - Harshlands
    Q__o - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so this IS a qq thread :P
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well if everyone agreed that tabber/winer gets all drops then it is a scam. I still prefer to tell people in fbs and bhs that drops goes to tabber and winer(if there wasnt wine fee for squad) so there are no misunderstanding after.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well if everyone agreed that tabber/winer gets all drops then it is a scam. I still prefer to tell people in fbs and bhs that drops goes to tabber and winer(if there wasnt wine fee for squad) so there are no misunderstanding after.

It's not a scam in the definition of the word. On the other hand if it was agreed that molds go to the tabber/winer, then it is stealing. Stealing is not scamming, although it is just as morally bankrupt.
  • Islamey - Dreamweaver
    Islamey - Dreamweaver Posts: 586 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Agreeing on drops to the tabber and then running off with the mold is bad ethics, but not an actual scam in itself.
    There's a difference between bad ethics and scamming.
    Scamming usually tries to hide the malicious action behind some legitimate pretense (like posing as a GM).
    Bad ethics is simply a straight out malicious action.
    Of course, you could probably report both, but running away with a mold isn't scamming, its being an as-.
    The chillum is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.
  • oliedaking
    oliedaking Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ed from ed, edd and eddy
  • konariraiden
    edited April 2010
    Options
    oliedaking wrote: »
    ed from ed, edd and eddy

...actually...it was Eddy who was the main scam artist in that show...jus' sayin'.

b:lipcurl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I present to you the winner of Konari's Signature Contest...SilversMoon from Heaven's Tear!
  • brownflamer
    brownflamer Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ...actually...it was Eddy who was the main scam artist in that show...jus' sayin'.

b:lipcurl

LOLZ U are the best MOD b:victory
    PS......I'm half-joking b:mischievous
  • konariraiden
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hehe, thanks. b:cute

However, I think this issue's been resolved now. In the end, if you think that you have been scammed, please take a screenshot and log a ticket with PWI.

Log a ticket here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This discussion has been closed.