Too late to go Pure Mage?

_MadameX_ - Raging Tide
_MadameX_ - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Wizard
Okay so I read a guide that said the LA build was the best for a wizard. I'm now starting to see that's not necessarily true as it takes longer to take down an enemy even with my skills upgraded as far as I can currently go.

Here are my current stats at level 15:

Vit- 5
Str-19
Dex- 19
Mag- 47

Can I go with the pure mag stats (9 Mag 1 Str every two levels) from here on or is it too late?
Post edited by _MadameX_ - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Mr_Mokona - Lost City
    Mr_Mokona - Lost City Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Well if you want a "pure" build at your lvl i would just say make another character.
    It wont take long to get to where you are now.

Although, you can by almeans go pure now, only thing is those wasted points in dex, so you could put one point into dex, so you get 20dex = +1crit.
    But its not awful if you carried on like that.

Or last option restat, but i highly discourage this, since you seem new.
    Hell even if you werent id discourage it anyway, since it really wouldnt take long at all to get back to where you are now if you made a new char.
  • _MadameX_ - Raging Tide
    edited April 2010
    Well if you want a "pure" build at your lvl i would just say make another character.
    It wont take long to get to where you are now.

Although, you can by almeans go pure now, only thing is those wasted points in dex, so you could put one point into dex, so you get 20dex = +1crit.
    But its not awful if you carried on like that.

Or last option restat, but i highly discourage this, since you seem new.
    Hell even if you werent id discourage it anyway, since it really wouldnt take long at all to get back to where you are now if you made a new char.

I want to know which build is best for solo PVE. I haven't gotten an answer for that yet but IT SEEMS pure mag is the way to go. Is that true or is the light build better?
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Early on you fight a lot more physical based mobs, so pure can be kind of frustrating at that level, pure/arcane comes into play around 60+ when every mob seems to be magical. Depends on how you feel playing as an LA at the moment, the style of pve you're seeing at the moment will last until around level 60, after that if you feel like remaining LA bear in mind that an LA build will also be able to wear arcane armour, pure build just kills 1 hit quicker than you.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • _MadameX_ - Raging Tide
    edited April 2010
    squab wrote: »
    I HAVE to say that pre 90 Arcane is tough, especially if you don't stat vitality.
    if you don't have at least +2 refines with pdef mods in 90% of your gears, you're gonna die.
    alot.
    good example is 7x-8x mages using 3* 70 robe top or HH70 top

I used the 77 mold top until 88 when I used the 88 mold, and a Sky Demons pearl.

tl;dr version:

Need HP, statting vitality= ****, compared to LA you get cheaper gears and crit rate.
    you need to keep your gear to your level.

HUH?

First you say not statting vit makes it tougher in the pre-90's, and then you say statting vit is ****. If you bother to look at my stats, I haven't touched vitality, it's still at its lowest level. It's way too early for me to worry about refines now, not when I level up almost instantly. TT gear isn't for another 50 levels for me so wtf are you babbling about?

And another thing, why are you anonymous? What level 90+ wiz are you using and on what server?
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Okay so I read a guide that said the LA build was the best for a wizard. I'm now starting to see that's not necessarily true as it takes longer to take down an enemy
    even with my skills upgraded as far as I can currently go.
    welcome to the world of magic. Raising a wizard is like perma-PMS.
    Joking aside, I had the patience to take a LA wizard about 2 years ago until lvl 34...then I just couldn't stand it. Vit clerics will be faster killers at that lvl, they are always HP/MP/Mattk buffed so basically do more damage than you as LA, they have better survival (IH and Plume shell FTW). Purpose of a LA wizard in lower lvls? ...........
    On a PvP server u need the pdef from LA, on a PvE any other option than full mag until 90 is fail.

too late to go full mag? no.
    well, you have about 15 points in that dex that are useless. Restat scroll at your lvl is not worth it, so I would say since u started LA, go LA until 90 and restat there.
    Who knows, you might even like it.
    Just look for rings with at least 2 option of magic attk or magic attk+magic and elemental/evasion necklaces and belts with + magic. Same, look for gear with 3* with good stats (meaning +dex) - that will let you increase your points in magic. Also, shop around for 3* gear with -requirement, that would help you immensely.

Another cheaper alternative would be to just reroll.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TonyWizard - Lost City
    TonyWizard - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If you want to go pure mag then by all means do it. I had the same problem when i was around your level (with the extra points in dex) so I just capped my dex at 20 for the 1% extra crit and went pure mag from there. I really don't regret that so far and haven't felt the need to restat at this point and I even play on a pvp server lol. LA build would be fine too if you want but if you like pure then def go pure. Sure there are mostly phys attack mobs at the lower levels but if you are pure then you will have to learn how to avoid hits better and I always felt that was a fun and challenging aspect of being a wiz and helped me learn my class better. Also, 1% extra crit isn't much but I could always tell the difference with it and it is quite fun to see those big crits every once in a while b:chuckle
  • xarathos
    xarathos Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    meh just start over... lvl 15 is a matter of.. hrs >.<
    and trust me beeing LA will let you curse all day coz your dmg isnt enough to kill mobs efficently and you getting hits
    and mage pvp starts at 9x.. so the lvls before should be pve and best for pve is doing high dmg.. if mobs hurt you much use genie heal or your selfheal.. or healpowder
  • Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Do NOT be afraid to add vit. You don't get proper HP + Vit gear until 90, so you need all the HP you can get without going overkill on the vit stat.

I had about 80 vit before getting 90, and it didn't hurt me in the slightest. I still did close to the same amount of damage as a pure magic wizard, and could take a lot more punishment. Only after 90 is it acceptable to go pure magic, assuming you still have more than 4.5k HP.

If you're 90+ with less than 4k HP, you're useless.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xarathos
    xarathos Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    there is very nice eq sometimes in AH.. with hp bonuses or Pdef bonuses.. ( sometimes even better than goldeq) so meh no need to add vit

just if you feel mobs are killing you all the time.. go add some vit..
    on other server i had like 50 vit @lvl 70.. it wasnt that bad for my dmg and gave me a bit survivability
    if your eq sucks rly badly you should get the vit amount like your lvl ..means lvl 70 - 70 vit and so on
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Do NOT be afraid to add vit. You don't get proper HP + Vit gear until 90, so you need all the HP you can get without going overkill on the vit stat.

I had about 80 vit before getting 90, and it didn't hurt me in the slightest. I still did close to the same amount of damage as a pure magic wizard, and could take a lot more punishment. Only after 90 is it acceptable to go pure magic, assuming you still have more than 4.5k HP.

If you're 90+ with less than 4k HP, you're useless.

1% to 99...
    i got less then 4k hp ^^ and it works out fine...
    i see wizards/clerics with 5k+ hp die alot faster then me ...garnet shards ftw :P

edit
    but i agree, adding some vit is kinda ok to compensate **** gear
    i like potato