Crit vs. Chan in endgame

Nigrosity - Heavens Tear
Nigrosity - Heavens Tear Posts: 116 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Wizard
Which is better for wizzy? PvP mainly, since PvE it doesnt really matter.

I see you can only get like 10-12% max crit....but up to 40-50% off channelling.

Not sure which way to go before I make my TT99, but it seems like throwing twice as many attacks blows a 10% chance to do double damage out of the water.
Post edited by Nigrosity - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• hasutheslayer
    hasutheslayer Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I can get like 17-20% crit in lategame )
    which i think better for me than 30-40% chan )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Erkey - Lost City
    Erkey - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Are you Sage or Demon?

I would think Sage would allow you to Sutra more often, so maybe crit is the way to go?

Curious about this myself...
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I have 12% crit right now (I know this is low compared to other wiz my lvl) and it's pretty useful. The higher chance to crit usually means a bypass of a hiero or a straight out one shot to many people.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    up until 100 channel helps.
    Endgame all crit.
    Anyway, there will be some channel ofc : 12 from lunar ring, 6 from sleeves maybe 6 on weapon.
    The whole idea behind stacking crit is that you can do that without messing up your HP/Pdef.
    To have about 50-60% channel - and that makes a diff only with Demon - you will have to use some elemental belt and necklace and to go for 2 channel stats on rings. Too much HP and Pdef lost. Way too much to be easily compensated. if you can afford to +12 and citrine/garnet gem (or 2% def stones)every piece of gear then it might work...to some extent....but still, too much cash for an experiment.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nigrosity - Heavens Tear
    Nigrosity - Heavens Tear Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Awesome replies!

Knowing that crit is the way to go, I suppose it's no contest between 60 mil for a Neon and 10 mil for an Inferno TT99.......3-3 here i come :)
  • SurferGirl - Dreamweaver
    SurferGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Which is better for wizzy? PvP mainly, since PvE it doesnt really matter.

I see you can only get like 10-12% max crit....but up to 40-50% off channelling.

Not sure which way to go before I make my TT99, but it seems like throwing twice as many attacks blows a 10% chance to do double damage out of the water.

hm no u can get more then 12

i got atm 14 and if i get a love up an down scroll i can get 16%..add faw dex and 17% i use luanr wep but if i had tt 100 or so i could had 19% so ye u can get more then 12 ok and now to ur real question

crit is better and ill tell u why

to get a lot of chan it means sacrifice other good stuff take event cape for example . sure u can get a 6%chan but u could also get the one the allmost 500 p deff boost and with wiz buff its 1k p deff that u lost, ok carry on belts for exmple there isnt a 6% chan belt with p deff, at least not one that i know of, if u use elemental one it means u lose even more p deff and if u fight bms or archers u gonna need it trust me, tho the 99 arm with the 6% is nice
    so my advice 2 u mix them both but focus on the crit like i said i got 14% crit and like 26% chan or around that im not on my char idk >.< but 20+ and its enough for me to cast 4 sec skills in force of will duration and enough to use Mountain seize during sleep so thats all i need, + if i crit with a ult its game over rest is up 2 u glad if i helped.gn
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    -channel = DPS
    crit = lucky spike

we're not archers so we can never rely on crits. the channel reduction side isn't much better as popular spells like gush, sage stone rain and demon pitfall have tiny advantages (in theory none for gush, crown of flame or pitfall) even with a lot of channel reduction. So mixing is the only way to go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Go for both. Mages have more than enough capacity to get 15-20% crit along with 24-36 channeling quite easily. You just need the money

-Lunarglade event cape (-6 channeling)
    99 Wrists (-6 channeling)
    2x Lunar rings (-12 channeling, +6 crit)
    HH100 Weapon (-6 channeling +4 crit)
    Tome (+1 crit)
    Base crit (+1)
    heavenrage boots (+2 crit)
    99 gold pants/top (-3 channeling)

Just there you have -33 channeling and 14 crit. With demon masteries your crits go up to 17% and with demon skills you have a nice amount of channeling. I personally wish I had the money to get a -channeling cape :< but oh well. 14% crit and -18 will have to do
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I have -30% channeling and 12% critics. At the end I will have ~40% channeling and 14-15 critic. I thing the best way is in middle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Alternatively play a private server and get an easy -30% chan, 10% crit straight away, Won't cost you $1000 either :P
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
    edited April 2010
    Go for both. Mages have more than enough capacity to get 15-20% crit along with 24-36 channeling quite easily. You just need the money

-Lunarglade event cape (-6 channeling)
    99 Wrists (-6 channeling)
    2x Lunar rings (-12 channeling, +6 crit)
    HH100 Weapon (-6 channeling +4 crit)
    Tome (+1 crit)
    Base crit (+1)
    heavenrage boots (+2 crit)
    99 gold pants/top (-3 channeling)

Just there you have -33 channeling and 14 crit. With demon masteries your crits go up to 17% and with demon skills you have a nice amount of channeling. I personally wish I had the money to get a -channeling cape :< but oh well. 14% crit and -18 will have to do

demon mastery only give 1% crit for each elemental attk the mastery is for so its just 1.. and to use a crit tome on a wiz isnt so smart while u can get way better ones (if the person can afford full event gear like u mentioned its np to get a good tome)
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    demon mastery only give 1% crit for each elemental attk the mastery is for so its just 1.. and to use a crit tome on a wiz isnt so smart while u can get way better ones (if the person can afford full event gear like u mentioned its np to get a good tome)

The best tome available for wizards is Love: Up and Down. It comes with crit.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    The best tome available for wizards is Love: Up and Down. It comes with crit.

ye im trying to get my hands on one of thos but the pricey ppl in dw seling it for like 200m

and if it wasnt for love up and down id just go for 45 magic tome, 1k more dmg to ur stats isnt half bad
    edited April 2010
    I have to wonder if you have any evidence to support this idea of yours?

and yes i do many weeks ago some1 asked the same thing and posted a ss of a ticket he sent to the GMs where the gms replied each mastery crit affect only the elemntal skils lets say u got fire and water mastry and no earth, u will have lets say. 12% crit for fire and water but 11% with earth its been proven
  • _Vivio_ - Sanctuary
    _Vivio_ - Sanctuary Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2010

Its a common misconception that if you have good gear you can "afford" things. I technically have around what $1500 worth of gear alone not counting my +'s but that doesn't mean im going to magically pull $1000+ out my butt to get Nirvana gear, +12 everything nor am I going to shard all citrine gems just because I can cause I have RL bills to pay. Yep, I understand you weren't implying that people with gear can do these things but I'm just putting it out there.

I do CS but I am no where near a hardcore cs'er I spend maybe 20-50 dollars every two or so months on hp charms and fashion for my girlfriend and merchant the rest of my ingame wealth. I have all the event gear except cube necklace and I still have the christmas tome which is adequate enough for now because I'm not willing to pay 150 mill for love up and down I'd rather plus up my gear (will get u from +5-+10) or reinvest into merchanting. Getting the voidlands would be a cheaper alternative but at this point i'd just rather not buy or invest into tomes unless its really cheap since I believe eventually better tomes will be added to the game ether that or also tome page's cash shop prices will be lowered since its going to get rather ridiculous in costs to use pages to make lvl 7+ tomes when they get to the game.

Getting love up and down over getting from +5-+10 equals you'd give up 579 hp on event boots or helms while keeping the Christmas blessing for 1 crit, 1% channeling, 13 magic, 130 hp tell me whats smarter? Since both options seem pretty ok with me and even if you restat str stat to magic or vit its not enough to make one overpower the other. Or you can get 10+ citrine gems instead?b:chuckle

No one really knows what the demon mastery does btw not even the gms that is why one poster eventually sent a email to PW headquarters directly to ask them and so far hasn't heard anything back as far as I've noticed. I'm pretty confident you didn't type the code for this game and its just assumptions. I still remember when people believed the crit arrow was a free 1% crit or when it was dumb to go sage veno since no one knew that ironwood only is 20% chance to break pdef and the guaranteed 40% pdef reduction is gone. Posted in wiz section a couple times already with two different answers from gms so gl with explaining how it works. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=605471&highlight=demon+masteries
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=500402&highlight=demon+masteries

OK, back on topic now. Channeling is pretty cool you will notice it most on your ultimates and longer casting skills but its not really a super got to get priority but getting a good 18-24% is a adequate goal and getting at least 12% crit is adequate as well. Channeling comes in handy when facing another wiz who hits first usually has the best chance of winning baring gear or skill inadequacies. I've got around 39% channeling in my PVE gear 24% in my PK/TW gear so I have an idea of what channeling can do. Most the time your going to be mainly gush & pryo, force, hailstorm (usually after ulti if anyone survived), distance, phoenix, undine, sleep skill, glacial snare (slowing cat barbs is very important), maybe throw in a stone/SS but I don't usually, and ULTIMATES!!!!!b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Being a wiz is awesome b:dirtyb:dirty

Sig damage is before facebook Jones Blessings were in game with lunar wand.

Rank8 Wizard as of October 22, 2010 b:pleased
  • _Vivio_ - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    squab wrote: »
    I prefer crit> Chanting tbh

I forgot to put this in my post but yeah i generally agree. i prefer my crit>channeling even if its a luck thing since i don't usually face other wizards. If they ever make it so I can get 99% channeling b:chuckle then i might change my mind but i don't think they will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• _Vivio_ - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    well at 2x? percent you break the casting barrier
    really amazing if you combine it with sutra
    /rolleyes

Meant it without sutra 99%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2010
    tbh to get a crit with 15% rate isnt really ''lucky'' in a 1v1 with strong players it shouldnt take 1 shot to kill its uselly a long 1v1 and u can pull of many crits in lets say a 5 min fight and all it takes is 1 crit when hp is near half to kill some1 even a barb (depend on the skill tho) so crit>chan for me anyday or better yet mostly crit + decent amount of chan > chan anyday
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    my thought channeling is better since you can end up with -82%channel+ ( Regular Crafted gear mostly + Beamhoof Slicer( -10% channel sword in base or -22% with Savant Stones)

b:surrender
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    wnight wrote: »
    my thought channeling is better since you can end up with -82%channel+ ( Regular Crafted gear mostly + Beamhoof Slicer( -10% channel sword in base or -22% with Savant Stones)

b:surrender

Savant = 3% channeling not 6.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    Awesome replies!

Knowing that crit is the way to go, I suppose it's no contest between 60 mil for a Neon and 10 mil for an Inferno TT99.......3-3 here i come :)
    how about 50 mil for a +10 neon with saphire gem? ... b:cute .... ijs...

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    @SurferGurl
    I prefer Crit>Chanting because of 1v1's, albeit the rarity they are, but a crit with stone rain or gush can oneshot most Blademasters/Barbs your level (90+ assumed)

u really 1shot with simple SR crit a barb with 17-20k hp? b:shocked
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    u really 1shot with simple SR crit a barb with 17-20k hp? b:shocked

he said this (red part):
    yeah
    @ The Chanting dude
    I was being sarcastic, you can't reduce the static cast/chant time you have.

@SurferGurl
    I prefer Crit>Chanting because of 1v1's, albeit the rarity they are, but a crit with stone rain or gush can oneshot most Blademasters/Barbs your level (90+ assumed)
    in barbs case it's 3 spark-> Undine-> Sleep-> heaven stone rain.

and yeah, an undined crit on SR will hit a HA for ~ 9k (I critted 11k on a BM with magic marrow on).
    tripple spark it and a poison...and yeah, i can see that 17k crit on a barb with SR, no prob.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    he said this (red part):

and yeah, an undined crit on SR will hit a HA for ~ 9k (I critted 11k on a BM with magic marrow on).
    tripple spark it and a poison...and yeah, i can see that 17k crit on a barb with SR, no prob.

ups i dont noticed that, anyway its ~5sec till u can start the SR so i am not sure u can do it most time in real pk (i mean the pk during u do something and u arent in tw or duel)

(in raw pk most of time they use the genie barb skill or interupt :/)
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I prefer crits.
    Way cheaper to stack it to decent level. Effects are amazing too, finishing off others with one skill is fun. Channeling doesn't work well for me as I have slow PC and rather high ping.

I plan to get safe -12% channeling in end-game set and around the same of +crit. Should be ok for a non-CS wiz.
    Packs World International
  • Jiblet - Sanctuary
    Jiblet - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    At 100+ you're going to have a mix anyway. I'm a crit junkie and have 20% as a sage arcane, but around 25%-ish chan. Personally I love seeing big numbers so if i had to choose one over the other I'd go for crit over channeling, but only if you can reach 15%+, which is where you see pretty consistent critting.

One downside to being a crit who.re tho....with high crit in delta you grab aggro a fair bit faster, but on the plus side the mobs are dead fasterb:laugh
    edited April 2010
    At 100+ you're going to have a mix anyway. I'm a crit junkie and have 20% as a sage arcane, but around 25%-ish crit. Personally I love seeing big numbers so if i had to choose one over the other I'd go for crit over channeling, but only if you can reach 15%+, which is where you see pretty consistent critting.

One downside to being a crit who.re tho....with high crit in delta you grab aggro a fair bit faster, but on the plus side the mobs are dead fasterb:laugh

how did u got 25% crit i dont see how its possible if ur pure mag :o
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited April 2010

Demon strength of titans buff, nirvana gear and he has crit stones instead of saphire gems in weapon.
  • Jiblet - Sanctuary
    Jiblet - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2010

Oops, I typoed - I have 20% crit (excl buffs/genie bonuses etc) and around 25% chan....my badb:chuckle

Fixed the above post, but I do reckon I could get up to 23% if I try really really hard xD
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    All gross exaggerations aside..

Some small bit of channeling will certainly help. If you can afford maybe two sets of ornaments it would greatly help in your damage dealing endeavors. Currently I only have one set and it's a defense based set over channeling (pdef) since I mostly find myself pulling aggro of physical mobs rather often. I already am constantly switching rings/weapons on my HA/AA veno so I've been kinda reluctant to go nuts switching with my wizard. I see it as feasible to have, with my crit weapon and rings, 8% crit and -21 channeling. Of course, the crit and channeling would be greatly increased when getting 2 lunar rings but that's not feasible for everyone.