Have boss coin drops been nerfed?

Solandri - Heavens Tear
Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
I've run into an incredibly unusual streak of boss drops since the patch and I'm wondering if others have had a similar experience. As most of you know, when you kill a boss many levels below you, there's a chance of getting only coin drops. The actual coin drop rate according to pwdatabase is as follows:

If the player is x levels higher than the boss, the chance of getting item drops is:
3 levels = 90%
5 levels = 80%
8 levels = 70%
11 levels = 60%
15 levels = 50%
20 levels = 40%
25 levels = 30%
30 levels = 25%
40 levels = 20%

Since the patch, I have gone on the following BHs:

1 BH89 - Ethereal Abomination, level 93, with a level 99 in group = 80%
3 BH79 - All 5 bosses, levels 80-84, with a level 99 in group = 50%
1 partial BH79 - Stygean, level 80, with a level 99 in group = 50%
1 BH69 - All 6 bosses, levels 69, 71, 2@72, 2@75, with a level 93 in group = 4@40%, 2@50%

All of the above bosses dropped loot except for the level 71. That is, only Serpentrex gave me coin-only drops. Everything else gave loot. That's 1@80%, 18@50%, 3@40%, which is an unbelievable 0.00002% chance of occurring.

I can't believe this is just some lucky streak on my part. Has anyone else noticed that bosses seem much less likely to give only coin as loot?
Post edited by Solandri - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I approve of Solandri's statistical data before other people come and say "blah blah blah it's random, you're just on a bad streak."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ^ I'm pretty sure less coin-only drops is a "good streak"

And yes, I have noitced that bosses drop items more often. I stay back in BH79 to take care of hooli and loon who are over 15 levels below me - since the patch each time they have dropped me items.

Before the patch they nearly always gave me coins only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    So double drops don't change anything?
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    what Kup said..... hello.. it's still double drops LOL your'e gettign double drops in TT (or at least ya were the last time after facebook), why wouldn't u on BH bosses?
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Double drops is still active, and it appears that the method it works by is that it runs the entire drop calculation twice instead of once.

Thus, the chance of coin-only drops becomes [usual chance of only coins]^2, since you now have two "sets" of drops.

Also, you've got the wrong set of percentages. What you've got is the chance that items will drop, not that coins-only will drop. Subtract each of those from 1.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Double drops is still active, and it appears that the method it works by is that it runs the entire drop calculation twice instead of once.

Thus, the chance of coin-only drops becomes [usual chance of only coins]^2, since you now have two "sets" of drops.
    I dunno. If that were the case, you would expect a larger incidence of drops where nearly half the drops were coin (one "set" is coin, the other "set" are items). I've only seen this happen once (Noxtouch Culler dropped a whole bunch of coin and two DQ items).
    Also, you've got the wrong set of percentages. What you've got is the chance that items will drop, not that coins-only will drop. Subtract each of those from 1.
    No, the chance that an item will drop is listed separately per mob/boss.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Brigid meant that according to your post, if you are at lvl or close to you will get coin only drops more often than a high level. Which is the reverse of what's been said for the past year and a half.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    If the player is x levels higher than the boss, the chance of coin-only drops is:
    3 levels = 90%
    5 levels = 80%
    8 levels = 70%
    11 levels = 60%
    15 levels = 50%
    20 levels = 40%
    25 levels = 30%
    30 levels = 25%
    40 levels = 20%
    I think you read the table wrong... I"m reading your post as a Player 3 levels over the mobs has a 90% chance of coin-only drops. That's not what the table says...

It says that the probablity of getting ITEMS is reduced from 1.0 to 0.9. So for a specific boss like Garrunob you have item drops given as follows:

0: 0.0000%
    1: 0.0000%
    2: 30.0000%
    3: 70.0000%

If you're 3 levels over Nob, then the chance of even going to this item table is 0.90 (or 90%)... so there's a 10% chance that you won't get any items (1-0.9) if eveyone is 3 levels over Nob. So the percentages in your table all need to be revised to say 100%-N, where N is the number you listed -OR- change the wording from "the chance of coin-only drops is:" to "the chance of getting items is:".
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    I think you read the table wrong... I"m reading your post as a Player 3 levels over the mobs has a 90% chance of coin-only drops. That's not what the table says...
    Whoops. I see. The table is right, my text description is wrong. I'll go back and edit it.

The probability calculations are right though.

(Edit: Some of you may notice I left out the 1 coin-only drop. Quite frankly, I'm not sure how to incorporate it in the calculation since each boss had a different chance of coin-only drops. It does make the sequence I saw more likely, but not by much.)
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Supposedly it goes by the killing blow rather than the highest level but I doubt if that was actually tested.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html