Archer necklace and belts

bandung974
bandung974 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Archer
Hi everyone this time i'm playing an archer lvl 41 and i was wondering :

Considering i'm a pure dext archer , what type of belts and necklace should i use ? the magic type ? the physcal type ? or the evasion type ?

Untill now i have used the evasion type but it is really a good thing ?
Post edited by bandung974 on

Comments

• Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    It depends on your playing style. I personally used the evasion belts and necklaces that I could find in the AH, because you can find many in there that offer extra physical resistance anyway. TBH, I was always more of a +dex person, so if I found a good +4/5 dex necklace or belt I'd get that if it wasn't too bad.

TBH as an archer, if you really want to look into defence routes, I'd say you want to invest in physical defence. Light armor makes it easy enough to keep up good m.def, especially considering you're probably going to invest in the level 69 legendary mold cape later because it's a damned good cape. That, and magic mobs will always be ranged, so they will die faster. Physical mobs will hurt you more in general, so if you aren't going to use evasive ornaments, go for the p.def ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bandung974
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for your answer , i will think on it in the game.

Is this also true for pvp ? Cauz i'm playing on lost city.
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    As an archer, you should really have 2 sets of belts and necklaces, one for magic and the other physical defense. DON'T GET EVASION EQUIPMENTS, they don't work on magic attacks, and don't always guarantee physical attacks to miss.

It's not smart to stick with just one type. Your light armor gives you from 40-50% physical/magic defense - which isn't a lot. Depending on what mobs you are dealing with in PVE, and what class you are targeting in PVP, switch to that particular ornament set to maximize the defense type you need. At early levels, its not hard to find a good set of belt/necklaces in the Auction nor are they extremely expensive.

From my experience as a low level archer back then, the type of mobs/attacks that inflicts the most damage are magic, not melee. As with melee mobs, you can usually kill before it gets to you, if not - kite or use winged shell. But as for magic mobs, their attacks have no chance of missing you no matter how high your evasion is, and they don't have to close in on you in terms of distance as much as melee mobs to damage you. If you are trying to escape for your life, no problem if the target only deals physical damage because they have to get close to attack. But with magic damaging targets, they can still hit you with their attacks as you run away. Therefore, if you are on a tight budget and can only get one set, go with magic, then physical defense. Same applies to PVP. If enemy is a barb/bm/sin/archer switch to a protection set, if its cleric/wiz/psy/veno switch to an elemental set.

If you are in a squad for BH/FB or other types of instances, there is likely to be a cleric and tank, and you as a DD will just attack from a distance. If you steal aggro on a melee mob/boss, there will be some seconds for the tank to get aggro back and the cleric to heal you as the danger gets to you. If it was a magic mob/boss, it will just turn towards you and attack you right away without giving everyone time to react, and for you to put up a defense. Your evasion won't help you much.

I provided the logical reasons (not personal preference) why it's best to get both sets, why you should put magic defense before physical if you are on a budget, and why not to get evasion sets. Hope this will help you with your decision :D In addition, try to get ornaments that also offers vit/hp points.

• Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Currently I wear elemental ornaments (Fairie Fox Amulet & Pirate King's Seal). I've considered getting an anti-physical set, though - mostly for PVP purposes.

But this is why we really need a "war chest" option which works like the Wardrobe, only for gears...

Anyway. When you get to 60-70, everything will cast at you, except in FBs, but in FBs you're supposed to not take aggro anyway. For grinding and questing, almost all the mobs until 80 are magic. Get magic ornaments.

That being said, I sometimes have trouble with the early 80s melee mobs... or did, when I was still their level... because they have a ton of def/hp. We're naturally better against ranged mobs, especially casters. By 70 you should have cultivated a strategy through which to take no damage from at least half the normal mobs you fight, simply by keeping them at bay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Archalt - Sanctuary
    Archalt - Sanctuary Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Sadly, evasion fails, it's a chance thing unlike defence. I use p.def or m.def stuff, depends on where I go. I remember after lvl60, I only used m.def accessories because the swamp is full of magic mobs xD How I hated that place, lol... Now I have both types.
    ◄ Alt for posting. | PVE Sage Archer and happy with it.
  • bandung974
    edited April 2010
    Really thanks i was thinking of having a double set of defense belts and necklace and switch according to the situation b:victory

But i didn't know if i should rely on evasion. I think i understand a little better now ;)