OMG WHICH CLASS?! (A Helpful Guide)

Amatsuno - Harshlands
Amatsuno - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hello and welcome to my helpful guide to picking a class. The amazing game: Perfect World's name is getting out there and more and more new players are joining us. This means an inflation of "Wut class do I pick", and "Which class is best?" threads. Hopefully this small and simple guide will be able to end all that. So let's jump right on in!

Firstly, what kind of combat is your favorite?
Close Up: Barbarians, Assassins, Blademasters
Ranged: Psychics, Wizards, Venomancers, Archers, Clerics

Do you like PVE or PVP better?
PVE: Venomancers, Clerics, Psychics, Barbarians
PVP: Barbarians (EG), Wizards, Archers, Assassins, Blademasters (EG)

What do you want in a character?
Range: Wizards, Psychics, Archers, Venomancers, Clerics
Close up fighting: Barbarians, Venomancers, Blademasters, Assassins
High Damage: Archers, Assassins, Psychics, Wizards
Healing Skills: Clerics, Wizards, Psychics
A Challenge: Barbarians, Wizards

Now let's discuss the classes a bit more in depth, starting with the vicious untamed race:

The Untamed Race consists of two classes: Venomancers, and Barbarians.
Venomancers
Combat Type: Hiding behind pets, magic/ranged casting.
Primary Role(s): Substitute Tank, DD (Damage Dealer), Money Making
Unique Attributes: Venomancers are (in my opinion) the most equipment-versatile class in game. If you prefer high defense and close-up combat feel free to go with a heavy-armor/mellee build, maximizing use of your fox-form skills and using a high attack pet to make up the lack of damage you might have. If you prefer the traditional build go for full arcane, use your pet as a personal tank, and nuke everything in sight. If you prefer the traditional build and form of gameplay but would like more defense, go for a light armor build. All this armor talk is distracting me from the main unique feature of Venomancers: their pets! Venomancers have the ability to tame and use pets as tanks, as well as for selling, and making baby pets. This makes them a great solo class, being a whole squad in one: Tank, DD (Damage Dealer), and Healer.

Pros/Cons
Pros: Decent Damage.
Personal Tanks
Good money from the low use of pots, and the ability to solo TT with a herc at later levels.
-
Cons: Not good at PVP without a good pet
Hercs and Nixes are EXPENSIVE.

Onto the next class: the Barbarians!
Barbarians
Combat Type: Close Up
Primary Role(s): Tanking and... ARMAGEDDON! (For PVPers)
Unique Attributes: Extremely high HP. If built properly, a barbarian has the potential to have just under 1,500 HP by level 15.

Pros/Cons
Pros: Super High HP
Always wanted in a party
Good Tanks
-
Cons: Constant shortages of SP until late game
PVP abilities don't shine until 89
Can be a bit pricey
Low damage in tiger form

Now for our next class: Winged Elves!
Let's get started with the first of these two shiny-tastical classes: Clerics.
Clerics
Combat Type: Healing, Ranged Damage
Primary Role(s): Healing
Unique Attributes: High MP. Lots of buffs, heals, as well as a decent amount of deadly metal damage skills. Always wanted in parties for healing, buffs, BB and RB. Everybody will love you, and nobody will appreciate you.

Pros/Cons
Pros: High MP
Always wanted in parties
Heals and buffs
Many magical attacks, as well as a spammable physical attack.
Shiny skills
Flight from level 1
-
Cons: Expensive
Not enough SP for all your skills until 60s
Everything bad that happens is your fault
Post edited by Amatsuno - Harshlands on

Comments

• Dosinn - Dreamweaver
    Dosinn - Dreamweaver Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I hope youre not going to leave your guide at this point for very long. b:laughb:laugh
  • Amatsuno - Harshlands
    Amatsuno - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I hope youre not going to leave your guide at this point for very long. b:laughb:laugh

Nono, I ticked submit on accident, I'm working on the rest right now.
  • Pchan - Dreamweaver
    Pchan - Dreamweaver Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Nono, I ticked submit on accident, I'm working on the rest right now.

I like the idea of being concise, but you need to work on your "pros & con" area. To me, saying the negative part about being a cleric includes: "Everything bad that happens is your fault". I totally disagree with that and feel clerics are being insulted with that statement. You don't depend on just the cleric in squads. It is teamwork and how much effort you put into the team as your ROLE gives everyone good or bad results.

also I'd like to comment:
    "Cons: Not good at PVP without a good pet
    Hercs and Nixes are EXPENSIVE."

-if I was new to this game, what on PW are hercs and nixes? What makes a good pet?

I respect your opinion about PvP-ing venomancers, but I also have to disagree with it because there are venomancers out there who do well in pvp without battle pets being obtained from the boutique. Boutique items only enchances your gameplay, it doesn't make you any better or worst. I've seen venos with nixes who do poorly in PK.

I'd also like to add, (now because I also have a lvl 69 veno) there are more pros and cons you need to point out than just the pvp/pet issue. Like, for example: Venomancers are favored to pull monsters using pets, they also can maintain the performance of squad members by passing sparks, a level 46 spell. I know for a fact that I depend on my pet a lot and if it dies, I'm doomed to die being a squishy. I have to level 3 different types of pet for different area battles. Feeding your pet and making sure they have full loyalty every 5 minutes is bothersome. Perhaps the pros and cons in both heavy build and magic build would be more clear?

I also noticed your short explanation of barbarians. I'm sure there are more to them. But to be honest, I would rather point new players to the class discussion forums because people there know what's good or bad for their own class.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    A quick quiz to decide on your class:

Q1. How many limbs do you have?
    0-2? Go to question 2.
    3-4? Go to question 3.
    5? Go to question 5.
    6 or more? Go to question 6.

Q2. You must be a FISH!
    Do you want to annoy everyone, or just those in your squad?
    Everyone? You are an ****! Become invisible and grief everyone!
    Just your squad? You are a PSYCHIC! Buff your tanks with a skill that drains mana, then steal aggro!

Q3. Arms and Legs? You must be HUMAN!
    Do you enjoy dying?
    Yes? You are a WIZARD. You get to blow everything up! Once you're level 59+. Until then, comfort yourself by dying if anything so much as looks at you.
    No? You'd better go be a BLADEMASTER. Cry to yourself about a lack of stat points and spirit and needing to handle hundreds of skills and wanting to be a main tank but no one believing that you can.

Q4. You are a CHEATER! Go play some other game.

Q5. Arms legs and a tail? You must be UNTAMED!
    Do you want to never ever ever die on your own, or in a squad?
    Alone? You are a VENOMANCER. You are also a GIRL who plays with PETS. And a FOX. ROWR.
    Squad? RAWR. You are a BARBARIAN. You can count to THREE. It goes ONE, MANY, LOTS.

Q6. Six limbs? Two legs, two arms, two wings. You must be an ELF!
    How many different skills do you want to use?
    0-1? You are an ARCHER. Go back to question 1 and answer every question with "BARRAGE!"
    2 or more? You are a CLERIC. Heal everyone with IHB. When anything goes wrong, Everything is YOUR FAULT, resurrect the Quiz at question 1.
  • Infliction - Raging Tide
    Infliction - Raging Tide Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'd have to reccomend a Bow-BM. The epic damage and range is just uber pwnage. A lvl 95 pure dex BM with CV Bow, **** all.
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Here is an img that shows how to chose your class.

perfectworld-class-guide.jpg

link incase image is too big.
    |
    |
    |
    v

http://www.ampota.com/files/pw/misc/perfectworld-class-guide.jpg

It leaves out the T.Born's since it was made so long ago, but it helps newbie's in picking a class.
  • _Garra_ - Harshlands
    _Garra_ - Harshlands Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    D: no sins i think we are being racist here xD b:cry hahaha
  • mulanrouge
    mulanrouge Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Do you like PVE or PVP better?
    PVE: Venomancers, Clerics, Psychics, Barbarians
    PVP: Barbarians (EG), Wizards, Archers, Assassins, Blademasters (EG)

i cannot imagine everyone agreeing with this.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AskariX - Heavens Tear
    AskariX - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    A quick quiz to decide on your class:

Q1. How many limbs do you have?
    0-2? Go to question 2.
    3-4? Go to question 3.
    5? Go to question 5.
    6 or more? Go to question 6.

Q2. You must be a FISH!
    Do you want to annoy everyone, or just those in your squad?
    Everyone? You are an ****! Become invisible and grief everyone!
    Just your squad? You are a PSYCHIC! Buff your tanks with a skill that drains mana, then steal aggro!

Q3. Arms and Legs? You must be HUMAN!
    Do you enjoy dying?
    Yes? You are a WIZARD. You get to blow everything up! Once you're level 59+. Until then, comfort yourself by dying if anything so much as looks at you.
    No? You'd better go be a BLADEMASTER. Cry to yourself about a lack of stat points and spirit and needing to handle hundreds of skills and wanting to be a main tank but no one believing that you can.

Q4. You are a CHEATER! Go play some other game.

Q5. Arms legs and a tail? You must be UNTAMED!
    Do you want to never ever ever die on your own, or in a squad?
    Alone? You are a VENOMANCER. You are also a GIRL who plays with PETS. And a FOX. ROWR.
    Squad? RAWR. You are a BARBARIAN. You can count to THREE. It goes ONE, MANY, LOTS.

Q6. Six limbs? Two legs, two arms, two wings. You must be an ELF!
    How many different skills do you want to use?
    0-1? You are an ARCHER. Go back to question 1 and answer every question with "BARRAGE!"
    2 or more? You are a CLERIC. Heal everyone with IHB. When anything goes wrong, Everything is YOUR FAULT, resurrect the Quiz at question 1.

Haha made me laugh. :P