a few noob questions regarding Archers

Kobolt - Harshlands
Kobolt - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Archer
Hello all I just started playing this game last week so I'm really new to it. I played hunter class in WoW but canceled my subscription recently. So i have a few questions..

1) Is maxing out your dex bad or good for pvp?

2) Is there specific talent builds in this game? I saw the archer skill list but was a bit confused. Can you get all those skills and upgrade them all the way?

3) Which classes to Archers do fairly good against in pvp?

Also i find kiting pretty hard. I am still learning this game and already noticed that you can't jump and then turn around in the air and fire like in WoW. or is there another way ?
Post edited by Kobolt - Harshlands on

Comments

• YuYuu - Dreamweaver
    YuYuu - Dreamweaver Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    okay, let's go

1 - All classes need to put points in str because of armors so you won't be able to just put points in dex, but it is your source of damage

there are, basically, two archer's build:

Pure DEX - 1 Str 9 Dex every two lvs
    Hybrid - 1 Str 1~2 Vit 8~7 Dex every two lvs

You'll wear Light Armor, the "medium" defense outfit.

2 - You can have all the skills maxed, but it takes a very long time to do that.

3 - Most all of them, since you're long range... Maybe u'll find some difficult with magic classes

And about kiting, when you reach lv 19, u'll make your spiritual cultivation and will be able to get a skill that push your enemy :D
  • Vivetus - Sanctuary
    Vivetus - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Maxing dex would be a great idea, however u need to add str for armor as previously stated

the pure dex build however is 1 str 4 dex every level

yes you can learn all of the skills however that isnt highly recommended, solely because there are some skills that you will find you will never use, thus wasting spirit that u couldve invested in other skills

archers are relatively good against all classes but are squishy

Veno, Wizzy, Cleric- should be very easy considering you can attack as they channel/ stun however they will hurt, and if the veno has a nix it might be a better idea just to turn the other way

against heavies however an archer will most likely need help- their HP is far to much for your damage output, especially barbs, let alone the fact that if they are charmed they will not die

the new classes however i have no idea on and also have not pked since my 70s

^ feel free to flame my info future posters :)
  • Ksir - Raging Tide
    Ksir - Raging Tide Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    1.Well archers are mainly DDs so maxing out your dex is a good idea. Its your role to do damage not to stay alive.

2.Im level 64 and i only upgraded 1 skill since level 59 so you wont be able to even at 60. At like 80-endgame though you should be able to max out all the ones that are useful however.

3. Archers basically own everything with Arcane armor like wizards, venos, clerics and psychics. I once beat a level 74 cleric and a level 8x wizard before. You can do midly decent against assassins cause they use light armor. Heavy armor users though are really hard though so dont think that you can win in pvp against them especially if they are charmed.

Kitiing is pretty easy you just need to get used to it. A tip is when you kite a mob run to it so you get into range then run the otherway. In like a second your archer will shoot an arrow when you techinically arent in range ive found that very useful. Idk if thats just lag on my part or something though lol but its worth a shot. Also remember when kiting to use knockback whenever it cools down.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    okay, let's go

1 - All classes need to put points in str because of armors so you won't be able to just put points in dex, but it is your source of damage

there are, basically, two archer's build:

Pure DEX - 1 Str 9 Dex every two lvs
    Hybrid - 1 Str 1~2 Vit 8~7 Dex every two lvs

You'll wear Light Armor, the "medium" defense outfit.

Great, except that LA requires 1 str every level, your build would only allow arcane armor.
    2 - You can have all the skills maxed, but it takes a very long time to do that.

A long time and most of them are not used too frequently either. In the end, maxing all skills is something you do when you have nothing else left to do at, say, lvl 100.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • YuYuu - Dreamweaver
    YuYuu - Dreamweaver Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Great, except that LA requires 1 str every level, your build would only allow arcane armor.

A long time and most of them are not used too frequently either. In the end, maxing all skills is something you do when you have nothing else left to do at, say, lvl 100.

oh, true :3

i'm used to 9something/1 str =~

ok, pure Dex build: 1 str 4 dex every lv .-.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I really wish archers could get gear that added strength, dexterity or vitality to their attributes.

b:sad

You could, but you'll change gear too fast for it to be worth it. Really, the only pieces that I use for re-statting are Helmet of Lion Spirit and Sky Demon's Pearl. Helmet of Lion Spirit will be used until 101, if I ever even get there and can be restatted on that level, as the difference is 4 stats. Sky Demon's Pearl will be used until tt99 ornaments, which also give 7-8 str, which means that I can re-stat the missing 1 point, or none at all.

Other than that, you can only restat tomes, rings and certain low-level armor.

And even if you did all of that, you'd still be looking at like 60-70 stats saved at lvl 99. And that would be with an event tome, 2x Bands and the aforementioned tt99 ornaments. Out of that, the tome wouldn't change much, as an Archer would prefer Love:Up and Down or the 45 Dex tome. Without the tome, it's down to about 30 stats at lvl 99.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.