assassins are leeches?

2»

Comments

• Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    It's been forever since I killed Farren so I don't know if this has been changed/fixed... But he will not use his AOE if everyone is in melee range. In my earlier levels we killed him several times with everyone meleeing. Never had an AOE. The moment an archer or caster started to attack him from range, we got AOEs.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    That does seem to be truth - ranged attacks appear to trigger his aoe.

But then - do you really want to have half your squad out of action instead?

All I can suggest is to interrupt him, or accept that it's a boss you're not much use on.
    ... which is leading me to ask how the heck you cope with other aoe bosses. Wyvern has the same range, for example.
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    As "Farren Hunter" in past here what i learned:

If Assassin "Pure" Dex wearing LA and using Bow(range 20) can sustain 4-5 AoE hits which is more than enough just to stand and plain attack with really nice damage and crits in between while Cleric from time to time uses Chromatic Beam or any other heal. At the beginning my regular bow shots were even superior to my regular dagger damage which was sort of funny. In this case Close combat highly not adviceable 1 crit or 2 hits you dead and doesn't matter what accessories you're wearing since P.Def way too low to make any difference.

b:bye
  • Laurrella - Dreamweaver
    Laurrella - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I think the squad example from the OP is on the extreme side which makes the problem of sins vs Farren more exagerated. In this scenerio you have multiple sins who would take AOE damage in melee which could be a problem for a 50-something cleric to handle on top of the tank. So the sins would either need to pop in and out of melee to reduce/avoid AOE or use bows to try to stay farther out of AOE range. Even if the sins stay in melee they need to be aware of aggro since the BM isn't going to be able to hold it as well as a barb could and if one or two sins catch aggro and die you will likely see a party wipe. So in this group I would suggest sins pop in for skill attack or two (rip strike, slipstream, or whatever they have that is good for dmg), then get out of AOE, heal yourself if needed, and then repeat.

In a normal party environment where you have at most 2 sins. You should be able to stay in longer simply because their are others to cause more damage either outside of AOE range or more heavy melee types and Farren will go down quicker. That has been the case I have seen since I started doing BH39's over the past week. I can usually stay in melee with a good cleric while just having blood paint and sparking damage.
    Laurrixa - 64 Sin
  • SinCityChick - Dreamweaver
    SinCityChick - Dreamweaver Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Y'know, I really hope this advice doesn't work, or I will start assuming assassins are just vapid idgits.

Works best on PvP servers, but you have a 'port to target skill, and a cleric standing pretty far back from the boss. Why not head in with speed skill and deaden nerves going, then shadow jump to the cleric for a quick way out. No more than one AoE should hit, which even if it would have killed you, won't. Heck, waiting to run in until after the AoE means you shouldn't even be hit.

But as I said, I really hope just a very obvious solution like this just isn't able to work somehow, or I'm not inviting any assassin I don't know from another of their characters.

Sadly, the teleport only works on a target you can attack or talk to, so that won't work. I do hope you re-think your fore-choice though, maybe giving some unknowns a chance to prove to you that people can play the class, even if you don't know them.
    For those times when *facepalm* and *headdesk* just aren't enough, I present...*brickhead*...painful, effective, and guaranteed to make you forget why you hit yourself in the first place.

R.I.P.:
    SkyLight (faction)
    Andracil (teh BEST MOD EVER!)
  • LTraveller - Dreamweaver
    LTraveller - Dreamweaver Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Im a sin. I was in bh39 with 3 other sins, a bm and a cleric. When we got to farren, us 4 sins were just standing back watching the bm and cleric duo bcuz every time we tried to attack we died. Which is kinda funny but also sad. And theres no point in using a bow bcuz our range is not long enough to get out of the aoe b:cry
    First of all, did you die because of AoE, or because you took aggro off BM?

Farren's AoE is not that strong. It shouldn't 1hit even a full mag caster. If it does too much damage to you, buy a set of inexpensive pdef gear: 1star lv54 wristguards, for example, normally give 138 pdef, but watch AH for several days, and you'll find some with extra 69, or, if you're lucky, even 69*2. Same with necklace and belt. Try to find rings with HP. If you want even more survivability, consider sharding with average garnets and refining armor and ornaments to +1/+2.

Another thing which might help is apoth: Dark Green Orbs (6khp over 30 seconds) and Orbs of Vibrating Light (4khp over 30 seconds).
    LTraveller, lv85 veno
    NamiOto, lv80 full support cleric
    RoamingAdmin, 7X fist/axe BM
    Ion_Cannon, 6X full mag wizard

(full support: healing + fire support)
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    First of all, did you die because of AoE, or because you took aggro off BM?

Probably those 4 sins keep attacking even when the BM and Cleric telling them to stop and hide behind Cleric. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
    edited March 2010
    On my sin, I have 4 items refined to +3...mold chestpiece (armor of barb shaman), mold daggers (the ones from 40s), 3* leggings (with 3 dex +other stats), and 3* boots (with 2 dex and some hp). On top of that, I have either sharded with phys def or hp gems, and farren still hits hard...at max range for bow (20m) I get hit for over a quarter of my health.

He three shot me once when I was standing far as far away as I could with a bow...

But that isn't saying I am not going to attack a boss with AoE. I have just learned (from playing a fist bm) when to run back and heal myself. (Btw, the three shot was the night I got back after 2 months away from the game.)
    For those times when *facepalm* and *headdesk* just aren't enough, I present...*brickhead*...painful, effective, and guaranteed to make you forget why you hit yourself in the first place.

R.I.P.:
    SkyLight (faction)
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    It's been forever since I killed Farren so I don't know if this has been changed/fixed... But he will not use his AOE if everyone is in melee range. In my earlier levels we killed him several times with everyone meleeing. Never had an AOE. The moment an archer or caster started to attack him from range, we got AOEs.

If everyone was heavy and in melee range, you probably just didn't notice the AOE, but it was still there.

His AOE will one- or two-shot tabber level or low 40s arcanes. I've seen level 7x clerics die while rezzing someone. (Saw it on my barb's FB. Faction 4x wizard was outside BB and died, faction 7x cleric broke BB to revive and died. I continued on charm for a while (think it was an emerald, from the supply stash) but when it was down to 4k and Farren still had half HP left, I ran around potting like crazy until the cleric could get back.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited March 2010
    I've seen level 7x clerics die while rezzing someone. (Saw it on my barb's FB. Faction 4x wizard was outside BB and died, faction 7x cleric broke BB to revive and died.

That is a cleric's mistake. 7X cleric should be able to solo Farren.

There's one more thing which can make tanking the AoE easy: Multiflavor Jiaozi. 2500hp in 10 seconds, 15 (I think) seconds cooldown. Somewhat difficult to find though. And, of course, there are also HP charms.
    LTraveller, lv85 veno

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Re: Teleporting back out of range:

Does the tab pillar count as a valid target for it? Because that's usually where the cleric is sat anyway.
    edited March 2010
    Hrm...I might have to try that on my next bh...only problem is, you have to be within a certain distance of it to teleport to it...mine is pretty low level, but I have to be within 19m of a target to teleport to it.

Edit: Just looked it up...the max distance someone can be away from the pillar that actually NEEDS him for BH is 25.5m, from the level 59 upgrade of the Shadow Jump skill. Mine is level 3, and I could have it up to level 7 (which opens at 59) before I leave BH39s. However, it just BARELY would get you out of the AoE, and only if you are within 25.5m of the pillar will it transport you right away. Otherwise, you run until the skill can fire.

R.I.P.:
    SkyLight (faction)
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ^ confusing @_@
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
    edited March 2010
    Sorry, let me rephrase. Level 59 is the last level in which Farren is needed. Level 59 is also when the level 7 Shadow Jump becomes available. Level 7 Shadow Jump enables the assassin to go 25.5m. This would take them out of the AoE, but only if they can get to the pillar (this is hypothetical). This means that the pillar would have to be within 25.5m for them to select and transport to it. If it is not, then they would run toward it until the distance was cut down to where Shadow Jump could activate. Better?

R.I.P.:
    SkyLight (faction)
    edited March 2010
    There's also Holy Path genie skill.
    Edit: and Expel. Longer cooldown though.
    LTraveller, lv85 veno

• Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    That does seem to be truth - ranged attacks appear to trigger his aoe.

But then - do you really want to have half your squad out of action instead?
    The squad OP listed had 5 melee and 1 cleric. It sounded like the cleric decided to toss in a nuke, which triggered the AOE, causing the 4 assassins to have to stand back. I would much rather have 4 assassins helping to melee, than have 1 cleric tossing in an occasional nuke between heals.
    If everyone was heavy and in melee range, you probably just didn't notice the AOE, but it was still there.
    It's pretty hard not to notice his AOE, even at OP's level. Yes if you're in melee range you won't notice the animation, but the big chunks of hp everyone loses are pretty obvious. You have to be heavy and high level for it not to do much damage. The first time we found out about it by accident was an FB39 with a level 39-45 squad. We had 1 BM, 3 venos (2 arcane, 1 light), 1 cleric, and 1 archer. We wiped twice before. Someone siad they'd heard he was easier to melee, so we tried it again with everyone meleeing (the archer stood back and did nothing). Third time went off without a hitch. Cleric only had to heal the BM, and all of the squishies survived without a scratch.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    funny story OP.
    I was full mag wizard since lvl1 and never died to a Farren aoe. Rankar got me a few times, but melee cause I stole aggro.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Sadly, the teleport only works on a target you can attack or talk to, so that won't work. I do hope you re-think your fore-choice though, maybe giving some unknowns a chance to prove to you that people can play the class, even if you don't know them.

You can teleport to players who are blue name. Shadow Teleport doesn't stun them though. You can also teleport through gates (except Qingzi) by targeting something behind it or, if you can't reach, taking a mob close it, have it near the door and seal(Throatcut) so it runs though the gate, then teleport.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Dustins_ALT - Harshlands
    Dustins_ALT - Harshlands Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    nu wai still your mag def should be 1k higher then your phys def
    -.-; i never once had an issue with any Bosses and i am almost a pure Dex build i added a few vit points but i also shard my gear

Oracle noobs FTL it's psychical AOE dur da dur b:bye

Op did u have Bm buff and cleric buff? If you did lol equip psychical defense belt and necklace, get 3* and refine it.
    pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=d5665672759051ef

^ my barbs built, full buff in tiger.b:bye

I'm not going to troll anymore T_T