ARe Veno's any good any more

Soulscreamer - Heavens Tear
Soulscreamer - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
I have a veno and plan on starting another when arch server comes out.

But veno's you need to spend like $200-$300 to get a herc before anyone lets you do anything is this true as all i see on WC is LF veno with herc.

So are venos worth it if you dont get herc or nix?
Post edited by Soulscreamer - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Caoijmhe - Heavens Tear
    Caoijmhe - Heavens Tear Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    It's true that venos with hercs are prefered, but with a nice golem or... w/e you can get squads too.
    I've got a lvl 79 Shaodu Cub myself, and I can get squads just fine.

Though... I think it depens on what you're doing too.
    I don't think I can tank TT bosses with my cub, even though a hercy could (talking about squad mode here), or... some other bosses. But it's not like you're useless when you don't have a legendary pet.
  • Atropah - Sanctuary
    Atropah - Sanctuary Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Raging Tides gave veno's Crystaline Magmite. Good defense and aggro grabbing skills. It's still way outclassed by herc but definitely playable. Try that out.
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    A herc, is not a necessity.
    Nor is a nix.
    If you don't want to spend IRL cash, simply save your game coins.
  • SupaRoyalty - Lost City
    SupaRoyalty - Lost City Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Raging Tides gave veno's Crystaline Magmite. Good defense and aggro grabbing skills. It's still way outclassed by herc but definitely playable. Try that out.

magmites are useless now with glacial walkers
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    magmites are useless now with glacial walkers

Not useless.
    Glacial walkers are just better.
    They still both have their own uses.
  • CaitSidhe - Harshlands
    CaitSidhe - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    People saying that a Herc isnt required, is true.

I waited till level 86 to get my Herc, BUT the only reason I got him was because I was missing out on oppotunitys such as FC and TT because I did not have one. I would get asked to go along, but only if I had a Herc.

So I guess, re-roll your char with the idea to save 60mil or there abouts for your Herc, or your Nix, depending on how you play.

I also have a Golem, love my Stoney, good times with that pet. But as stated, the Herc very much outdoes a Golem, hands down. Stoney got me all the way to 86 so they work just fine till then :)
  • Sinalee - Dreamweaver
    Sinalee - Dreamweaver Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Venos are also still wanted for making any boss kill / mob kill faster. Some bosses regenerate health fast, venos can stop that. When not doing that any kill gets faster if u amp it. Also iron scarab is a good skill for making kills faster. Maybe zeals can lure now, but still got a sad recharge time, venos can do that faster. The problem with the herc should logically only accure if a squad is looking for Tank + cler or veno + herc, in other words a healer + tanking team. Venos don't have to be the tank in a squad so shoudl still be possible, though many only want the herc players.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Maybe zeals can lure now, but still got a sad recharge time

Zeal recharge is fine. The limiting factor is mana regen, which isnt too bad is you have regen 3 on your genie.
    or are a latecommer with skill 1 charm.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Herc and Nix aren't required, neither are weapons or armor. I've paid more for skills that are less helpful than a herc or nix without spending cash.

If you're playing the game to level fast, you can just do the boring but easy world quest, bh dailies along with other easy xp tricks to get there. If you want to advance your character's abilities, then play the game w/o the unprofitable traps and you should have no problem affording Nixs and Hercs which are under-priced at in game coin prices.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Venos can manage fine without an herc despite the very real limitations. An hercless veno worst enemy is an ignorant player...
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    wtf is this? of course venos are good

b:chuckle at manray's post count
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Anamallia - Sanctuary
    Anamallia - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    1 thing to remember, at levels 80+ most times you will not be tanking with your herc unless you are in TT, people ask for the herc because they assume it has the best attack besides a nix

people are always surprised when i put my herc away in dungeons and pull out my scorpion and then constantly pull agro from the useless barb

an other thing to remember venos are cheap to play until you want to buy a herc, starting a new server you will be able to save up money easily to but one in game, just get to level 63 quick and start doing TT solo mode for mats, you will make a killing and get your herc quicker than you think

i say 63 because i dont know your build, it can be done at 60 depending on your channeling and how high your magic is
  • Soulscreamer - Heavens Tear
    Soulscreamer - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Ok thanks guys makjing another topic now under veno's but what is a golem ?
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Golem=Magmite. It's PW-MY gibberish...
  • Shiga - Sanctuary
    Shiga - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    As a veno with a Herc I can tell you that it isn't necessary, in fact anytime I see a WC saying that they are looking for a Veno with a herc I ignore it, since in most cases they are ignorant and not the type of squad I want to be with.
  • Lythiaana - Dreamweaver
    Lythiaana - Dreamweaver Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    and seriously like everyone said, the point is that even if you have a herc, do you know how to use it? I have seen venos with a herc try pulling a boss and all the adds are pulled as well, only because the veno's herc had bramble on..... And then again, venos with magmites that I have seen could pull better than that.

Remember, like everyone says, the pet is only as good as the veno. If the veno does not know how to use it, it's useless.
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I still appreciate a good veno. IDC much for the pet, debuff, offtank if possible, pass sparks... DD between the lines, and I'mma be happy. Don't need a herc to be a good veno.

I was gonna say "but a herc doesn't hurt"... it's when venos consider themselves God's gifts on Earth simply because they have a herc. And some of them don't even know how to play their class bar sending the pet on mobs, and even.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Reflect buff, Amp, Debuff for some bosses like ape in 2-2, 2-3, and luring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Just remember, it's not the pet that makes a good veno, be it a magmite or a legendary pet. It's the gamer sitting behind the computer screen that makes the veno seem good in a squad. However I still see dumb venos in squads, even herced venos.
    >.<
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Reflect buff, Amp, Debuff for some bosses like ape in 2-2, 2-3, and luring.

This. +purge, soul degen, and certain situations where an extra stun is needed stunning blow/lucky scarab. (I.E. shoveals in Lunar).

Its not required to have a herc or nix. But if you plan on doing tw, soloing your own TT's, or wanting to be able to get rich quick, than its best to get a herc or nix or both.

I do just fine with only a nix and armored bear/shaodu cub mix. I don't like TT so much so soloing a squad mode is definitely out, that's what a solo mode is for. Takes way less time, no aoe's, and yeah nerfed drops but I still got my 90 glaive that way so its not all bad.

Also, as many people have helped me to learn, veno pets aren't nerfed in the instances. So not having a veno in party will probably make things take longer. Not just for the "luring" aspect as I've seen barbs, blademasters, and others using genie skills lure just fine. But also for the pet attacking (with or without skills). The added damage from pets is much nicer than if there isn't a pet attacking.

And the price for SoF/PF are outrageous compared to when I got my nix... 8k for them now as compared to 1.5k. But with gold prices being so high its expected that inflation will raise them to insane prices.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If you want to get into a good TW guild I'd have to say you'll eventually have to get a nix but for the regular stuff pve w/e you don't need a legendary pet.