Psychics or Clerics for PVE?

Remivaughn - Raging Tide
Remivaughn - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
im wondering which is better for pve team and solo and why for pve?
Post edited by Remivaughn - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    im wondering which is better for pve team and solo and why for pve?

Clerics are ALWAYS wanted in squads. Because they heal.

Psychics - no one is quite sure what role they play in squads. They solo very very well in the low levels, though.
  • Laurrella - Dreamweaver
    Laurrella - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Solo - Both are good. Psychics are pretty powerful and clerics are hearty with buffs and heals.

Groups - Clerics can usually find groups right away but you are doing the same healing thing over and over. Plus if there is any drama in the group do to fails the cleric is usually involved. Psychics have a harder time finding groups but less headaches.
    Laurrixa - 64 Sin
  • Atropah - Sanctuary
    Atropah - Sanctuary Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    As always, there are advantages and disadvantages

Clerics are a little slower out the gate and really meant for support. Not to say the can't solo fine, it just goes slightly slower. You will find more people willing to help you later in the game as squads become more important, though.

Psychics have great magic dmg low levels, and I'm not sure, but high levels I think they're still pretty dangerous. The typically can kill most things ranged before they get hit. I'm no psychic expert yet; very few are as its still a newer class.

I'd say psychic > cleric if we don't look at your specific playing style because in pwi survivability > dmg dealing and because clerics are so squishy I think survivability is better on psychics. However, I like helping others, working in squads, and being a cleric. It's the class thats meant for "me."

Short answer, ever character type has its purpose and nitch and benifits and disadvantages and skill sets and play type and... Play the one that fits you best b:victory
    Do you prefer to support others and be the "glass cannon" or be a DD magician that still has some minor support abilities?
  • Lemuria - Harshlands
    Lemuria - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    because clerics are so squishy I think survivability is better on psychics
    Typically clerics are less 'squishy' than psychics because they have self-buffs, heals and strong defense spells (Plume Shell etc) whereas psychics 'defend' themselves by hurting their attacker, but are otherwise generally low on HP and defense and lacking the means to keep themselves alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joshanator
    joshanator Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    As a low lvl cleric "27" I've found that I solo just fine. The big advantage I have is being
    able to heal myself will grinding. While my Vit is low my magic damage is high. Just
    remember how you spec your character is very important. Most clerics use their points
    every two lvl's. 9 for magic and 1 for strength.
  • Lemuria - Harshlands
    Lemuria - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    At lower levels you'll find that you have more than ample magic attack for strong attacks. At higher levels though, the multipliers on our spells aren't that impressive and our damage is grossly subpar compared to the proper damage dealers like Psychics and Wizards. Plume Shot at level 10 still only adds 100% of weapon damage and base magic to the attack whereas many wizard spells can offer over 240%.

But then, clerics were never designed for damage dealing, so it suits us fine for a supporting role. However for soloing, we do suffer slightly longer battles due to our reduced attack power in comparison to true damage dealing classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary
    Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Objectively speaking, both are the same.

Cleric is more for a defensive style of playing and heavy duty healing. Damage dealing department is actually pretty good, but limited. Also can give buffs and res without partying...I find that nice.

Psychic is more for an offensive style, with support type healing. Good psychics have been able to keep squads alive while the clerics are busy keeping tanks alive during unexpected multi aggro and stuff like that.

So it comes down to your priority-assault first or defense first.
  • Myaxua - Dreamweaver
    Myaxua - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Both of these profs I have started playing PWI with and while I do love healing professions in MMOs I found cleric to drone on a lot whereas Psychic has gone much faster. I am enjoying the game and learning faster this way but I will return to level a Cleric once I've gotten the hang of everything! Just my 2 cents :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I would go psychic if I were you as you didn't but the effort onto researching this for yourself.Read up on skills and then guides and then builds.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.