Psychics = MP Whores?

Shadow_Fang - Raging Tide
Shadow_Fang - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Psychic
Hello Psychics!

So, I've heard a rumour that you folks eat through MP faster than a fat Cleric in an MP Charm Shop. To what extent is this statement true?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of creating a Psychic. I don't, however, want to become an MP charm *****; I'd like my expense to be kept to reasonable levels.

AFAIK, you don't have an MP buff like a Cleric and you don't have an MP shield like a Wizard. To what extent are you meditating when going on TT/FB runs and the like?

Kind regards,

Shadow
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"War is the Statesman's game, the Priest's delight, the Lawyer's jest, the hired Assassin's trade." - Percy Shelley
Post edited by Shadow_Fang - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Monophobia - Raging Tide
    Monophobia - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    well, our skills have pretty High Mana costs, they cast pretty fast,
    combining that, is that our Mana goes down rapidly and donst have time to recover that much :(

thats what i have Seen, but well, im still lvl 19 ;)
  • Glowfish - Lost City
    Glowfish - Lost City Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    yeh, i drink MP like it's water. I don't use MP charms though that would just end up way too expensive. just buy your pots in bulk b:victory
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    yeh, i drink MP like it's water. I don't use MP charms though that would just end up way too expensive. just buy your pots in bulk b:victory
    Quote for truth.

Yeah, psychics blow through MP incredibly quickly. Glowfish has the right idea too.

Personally, I also got a lot of +MP Recovery gear, and it has really helped. IIRC, my level 48 psychic has like +12 MP Recovery from gear.

P.S. I don't think "MP whores" is the right phrase for this. "MP guzzlers" might be more apt.
  • Kwon - Raging Tide
    Kwon - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ooh it's so true. but after a certain time you learn to cope with that. before i reached lvl2 apotechary i used to buy like 50-100 mp pots at a time. afterwards just manufacture focus powder and u won't go out of mp. it's a cheap but rather time consuming solution(consider the time spent gathering salvia and crane herb)
  • Ivy_ - Dreamweaver
    Ivy_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I have pots up the yin yang, and one genie skill that actually works very well. Dampen Magic Curse--it's generally a mana drain skill, but there is a chance that you can recover mp. Someone pointed it out to me and while it doesn't kick in as often as I'd like, it's a godsend when it does.

(Warning--it's very affinity-point heavy)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Better known as Destini, also known as _Yvi.

ty Nowitsawn. :D

I dunno if I'm coming or going some days...b:shocked
  • Selador - Heavens Tear
    Selador - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yes Im an mp "pleasure worker".
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    What a tittle . . . (the thread)

Anyway it not so bad compared to cleric have to eat mp like crazy because they need to buff and heal.
    We eat mp fast because we spam skill so fast. -_- . .
    And we don't have mp recovery skill . . -_-a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • _Leiian_ - Heavens Tear
    _Leiian_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    all magical characters are mp burner xD
    The best way to go (according to me) is pure magic, more mp, more mp recovery.
    U'll be arcane, and as all AA user, squishy and with low hp until 90.
    So, I think that pure mag + some mp pots is the way to go.
  • Shadow_Fang - Raging Tide
    Shadow_Fang - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Many thanks for the responses, folks.

BTW, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the thread title; my sense of humour can be a little dark like that. I meant '*****' as having to perhaps sacrifice or compromise for personal gain; in your case, MP gain.

Peace b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"War is the Statesman's game, the Priest's delight, the Lawyer's jest, the hired Assassin's trade." - Percy Shelley
  • ryukage
    ryukage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    For the record, no class burns MP faster than a Cleric in the field. A Cleric DDing while healing allies murders MP faster than anything a Psychic could ever do. If I start my day with my Cleric then switch to my Psy, its actually a pleasant change in MP management.
  • Esalium - Dreamweaver
    Esalium - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I don't find psy that much a mp burner since in bh and fbs, I space my attacks and double spark so it's not that bad. For grinding, I rest a lot, but my killing speed sort of make up for the rest time comparing to other classes.

I'm pure magic and I gave up on mp pots a long time ago, they don't even regenerate 1/8 of my total mana, so not that useful... resting is better I find. I use a lot of jade powder and focus powder or the stronger version of the apo for tt runs.
  • Avadel - Raging Tide
    Avadel - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    With arcane build, BHs can be easily done without mana pots. the bosses usually dies without your mana run out. and after the turn in, you would full mana back. For TT bosses and bosses with tons of health, +mana regen items like focus powder works real well. As for usually grinding and questing, just meditate and pot at the same time, I find that really effective.
  • Psiadon - Sanctuary
    Psiadon - Sanctuary Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I save on mp in bh/fb instances just due to the amount I have to throttle back my damage. Other than that I find I use less mana than a cleric.

I keep the apoth skill up to make my own powders.
    Perfect Horn = imperfect implementation.
  • Audjra - Raging Tide
    Audjra - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Apothecary is a big help for psys. Jade powder n Focus Powder are <3
  • Neko_Goddess - Sanctuary
    Neko_Goddess - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    In reply to this thread, I would have to agree we eat Mp, but in ways we don't. A psychic can choose what type of spells they wish to cast. For instance, a DoT spell would cause less mp loss, yet impact the Mob/Player. If potted/Food Even a mp charm, you can avoid spend loads of money, also battles with a psychic should never last long. So if you were to compare a Psychic to another class that takes a minute to kill a mob, as for a psychic only 30 seconds. Then you would just be looking at getting your job done sooner then everyone else, not necessarily being a "Mana Eater".
    Just Rawrlicious.b:dirty
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ryukage wrote: »
    For the record, no class burns MP faster than a Cleric in the field. A Cleric DDing while healing allies murders MP faster than anything a Psychic could ever do. If I start my day with my Cleric then switch to my Psy, its actually a pleasant change in MP management.

coming from a lvl 84 cleric who has 7.5k mana and a lvl 61 psy who has 3.8-4k mana. my cleric uses lvl 75 event pots. 5k mana back, psy uses 3k mana ones. my psy went through 50, 3k mana in 2 days b:cry cleric went through 20 5k in a week b:laughb:surrender so psys mana useage IS worse than a clerics
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    *Headdesk*

All arcane classes have a pretty damn high MP requirement, because well.....they're magic classes. They can't do **** without MP.

Wizards, clerics, and psychics have about the same MP requirement. I go through MP in an instance about as fast as a cleric spamming Ironheart. Venomancers would be on the list, if not for their MP recovery skills.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Wizards, clerics, and psychics have about the same MP requirement.
    But they don't have exactly the same, and they have different speeds, so it all adds up.

If you have each of those two classes just spam their two basic attacks at level 10 you can see the difference:

Cleric:
    2.0 sec - 144 MP - Great Cyclone
    2.5 sec - 140 MP - Plume Shot
    = ~3787 MP/min.

Wizard:
    2.0 sec - 144 MP - Gush
    2.3 sec - 141 MP - Pyrogram
    = ~3977 MP/min.

Psychic:
    2.0 sec - 141 MP - Aqua Impact
    2.0 sec - 144 MP - Spirit Blast
    = 4275 MP/min.

So a psychic would use almost 13% more MP per minute than a cleric, in that example.
  • Ginzoixx - Dreamweaver
    Ginzoixx - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    As stated go arcane pure magic and the recovery is decent. Also as a Psychic you very rarely get hit so staying in robes is no problem.

Well from lvl 1 to 33 so far I rarely get hit. The times I do is when I attack an MR mob when not paying attn.
    edited March 2010
    *Headdesk*

All arcane classes have a pretty damn high MP requirement, because well.....they're magic classes. They can't do **** without MP.

Wizards, clerics, and psychics have about the same MP requirement. I go through MP in an instance about as fast as a cleric spamming Ironheart. Venomancers would be on the list, if not for their MP recovery skills.

u see why im jealous of my veno xD soul transfusion, which switches my mana and health, then my hp and mp skill tah dah full mp or in a fight hp xD. but wizzy's get alot more mana. they also have their water shield for mana. i know a lvl 100 wiz, she told me with her mana skill and her water shield she hardly ever needs mp pots

• ryukage
    edited March 2010
    coming from a lvl 84 cleric who has 7.5k mana and a lvl 61 psy who has 3.8-4k mana. my cleric uses lvl 75 event pots. 5k mana back, psy uses 3k mana ones. my psy went through 50, 3k mana in 2 days b:cry cleric went through 20 5k in a week b:laughb:surrender so psys mana useage IS worse than a clerics

Your MP usage is less because you're not DDing to the limit while healing several people at the same time. That takes a cleric's MP consumption above any other class. If you're only sparingly DDing, then no duh your MP usage is less.
    edited March 2010
    ryukage wrote: »
    Your MP usage is less because you're not DDing to the limit while healing several people at the same time. That takes a cleric's MP consumption above any other class. If you're only sparingly DDing, then no duh your MP usage is less.

for the record, im guessing u have a high lvl cleric or u wouldnt have said that b:chuckle, i dont have fast channeling only -9% but IH channels very fast, and considering i spam like hell in bh, purify, wellspring, stream of rejuv. and i use mana like hell on cleric its a known fact that clerics use mana like crazy, im just saying its worse on my psy, and he has 2k less then cleric so i cant really compair them, it was just worse than my clerics at that lvl. and i dont dd in bh, rarely on bosses, even rarer on mobs. cause im usually only cleric, and i dont feel like dying and running back to town, becuase barb's gear is hell, or i have sin who oracled to 89

• ryukage
    edited March 2010
    for the record, im guessing u have a high lvl cleric or u wouldnt have said that b:chuckle, i dont have fast channeling only -9% but IH channels very fast, and considering i spam like hell in bh, purify, wellspring, stream of rejuv. and i use mana like hell on cleric its a known fact that clerics use mana like crazy, im just saying its worse on my psy, and he has 2k less then cleric so i cant really compair them, it was just worse than my clerics at that lvl. and i dont dd in bh, rarely on bosses, even rarer on mobs. cause im usually only cleric, and i dont feel like dying and running back to town, becuase barb's gear is hell, or i have sin who oracled to 89

Oh I agree, it's not AS bad if you're just doing support. But yeah if you try to DD at the same time... It's terrible. b:surrender I mourn for the MP charms I've eaten between my cleric and Psy. b:cry
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    pure mag + focus and jade power = gg mana

and wellspring quaff + glacial embrace + sage chi + triple spark = no need for mana pots.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Here, lets put this to rest being that I have a psy and a cleric with all their skills in the max range.

PvE - when your tank is holding aggro the psychic's mp use is less than half that of a cleric as far as mp/sec if the cleric is doing their job right.
    On the other end, on things like Frostland and Rebirth where the Psychic will likely be pulling a decent amount of aggro (unless they're undergeared or not a pure mag build) if the psy has soul of vengeance up, the mp usage is going to be approximately the same as a cleric due to the quantity of reflects. So, once sage/demon skills are out, Psychics may become the most mana-hungry class, but for the moment no.

PvP - Clerics use far more mana when being attacked, which guess what, they will be attacked, they're clerics, the numbers likely to be attacking the psychic (soul of vengeance or no) won't affect the Psy's mana anywhere near the damage that will be done to a cleric's mana with plume shell up. If the devs were looking to make the psychic a mana eater for increased profits, they've a long way to go to compare to clerics in pvp situations if they're looking to even it out.

Simple answer, clerics use mp far faster than psys.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    Samsoul - Lost City Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I just meditate and pot whilst im meditating. Like it's been said, our mp eatage and meditate time makes up for our super fast killing.

And try not to use bubble of life. Ohmygod the mp cost. (when levelled)
    Samsoul - fail psychic of Lost City!

...I will melt your brain... and decrease your IQ by 150...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daose - Harshlands
    Daose - Harshlands Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    All magic classes burn MP. Ways to alleviate it are through apoc pots and charms. Next thread pls b:bye