Take Aim

xdeadlysinsx
xdeadlysinsx Posts: 2 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Archer
i'm a pve archer. i'm not going to go pvp till i go demon, or at 9x.
i haven't gotten a straight answer out of anyone about the skill Take Aim.
i've been told by some people that its useful to start out with for pve.
others have told me that its a waste of coin/sp.
im lvl 26 and its at lvl 1. will it help me at all?
all answers will be greatful.
thanks
Deadly b:cool
Post edited by xdeadlysinsx on

Comments

• Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i'm a pve archer. i'm not going to go pvp till i go demon, or at 9x.
    i haven't gotten a straight answer out of anyone about the skill Take Aim.
    i've been told by some people that its useful to start out with for pve.
    others have told me that its a waste of coin/sp.
    im lvl 26 and its at lvl 1. will it help me at all?
    all answers will be greatful.
    thanks
    Deadly b:cool

If you lack chi, consider leaving Take Aim at level 1 as a quick 10 mana double tap chi gain skill.

If you don't lack chi, do as you please (though best to save spirit for now). Take Aim is not a skill you should be using in PvE other than cheap chi gaining at those levels.
  • xdeadlysinsx
    xdeadlysinsx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    is it good for other uses besides chi?
    im not at all concerned about mana. i have a plat mp charm. and it hasnt hardly been used.
    in other works, taking mana out of the picture, is it a good skill to start on a mob?
    i know that it takes time to charge...but it would be the opener on a mob.
  • Moranine - Lost City
    Moranine - Lost City Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Becomes the best skill imo late game (besides quickshot.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If you lack chi, consider leaving Take Aim at level 1 as a quick 10 mana double tap chi gain skill.

If you don't lack chi, do as you please (though best to save spirit for now). Take Aim is not a skill you should be using in PvE other than cheap chi gaining at those levels.

i used in pve because its very cheap, dont need a ton of spirit, 112k spirit for maxing out at lv45, deadly shot for lv2 need 107k and at lv10 need less mana than deadly shot at lv1.
    i used like starter skill,mainly against poison mobs becuase sucks the poison :/
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    For low levels, leave it at level 1. Replace the attack button on your quick bar with it and just remember to hold that button down (or always double tap it) and you will build chi faster at negligible mana cost.

For high levels, you will max the skill out mainly because it is one of the easiest demon/sage skills to get. As far as PvE use goes, I find myself falling back on it as an opening move when I'm in situations where knockback is likely to start a chain of agro that I don't want, but I want to grind fairly fast. The daily Xenobeast quest in OHT is a good example of this situation. A fully charged Take Aim has a pretty good chance (with a crit and maybe a bow proc) of doing a one-shot in there and saving me some hassle. It also leaves other possible openers (slow, stun, seal, ...) available for controlling extra agroed mobs.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i find it as a good spike for an opening move, aside from the large chi boost, if it crits it takes a huge chunk of FB monsters hp, giving room for quicker kills :v. i also find it a nice replacement for deadly shot to killrobe players after stunning arrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear
    DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i still havent gotten the skill for 2 reasons

1) for some reason, im always out or spirit

2) ive been using a pretty good combo..it goes...

frost arrow, lightning (lvl 9 one), knockback, quick shot, normal = dead mob and no hp loss.
    <<----I'm a total NooB and I'm not proud of it! b:cryb:cry

<<----DeadlySins will rule you all sooner or later b:coolb:victory
  • Serinregis - Lost City
    Serinregis - Lost City Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    what a waste of mana, try not to use lightning attacks when mobbing, just takes too much mana to be efficient.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:dirtyb:dirtyb:dirty
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    what a waste of mana, try not to use lightning attacks when mobbing, just takes too much mana to be efficient.

true, in that lv i used barrier+take aim+normal shot+knockback+normal shot and barrier helped in recover my lost mana
  • poisonoaks
    poisonoaks Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I used take aim for a long time in PVE. At this point, I have pretty much abandoned it, except for rare occasions when I need a big hit, and deadly shot is on cooldown.

It can be effective as an opener against higher level mobs, or mobs that are going to take a little extra effort (Elite mobs, increased defense mobs, etc etc.)

My low MP tactic for killing normal mobs is:

Frost Arrow (lvl 10) > 2-3 Normal attacks depending on situation > Knockback (lvl 1) > Normal attacks till dead.

Between lvl 10 frost arrow (81 mp) and knockback arrow (34.5 mp) you only use 110 per mob, and your chi useage is made up for with normal attacks.

My high MP tactic (You can keep this up constantly with a Focus Powder running) for killing mobs is:

Opener (Take Aim / Deadly Shot) > DoT Arrow (Visious Arrow / Serrated Arrow) > Knockback > Normal attacks till dead.

And this can be expanded even further to:

Opener (Take Aim / Deadly Shot) > DoT Arrow (Viscious Arrow / Serrated Arrow) > Knockback > Aim Low > Lightning Strike > Winged Shell > Whatever until its dead.

This might seem like overkill, but against abnormally difficult mobs, it can be a useful strategy.

So yes, Take Aim is useful for PVE, but isn't necessary to grind.
  • DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear
    DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i love how all of you are ragging on me cuz of archers mp useage. i know it sucks. (sorry for caps) I HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL HAVE AN MP CHARM ON! a mp charm will last forever on an archer. i play by this one and only rule. Kill the mob before it touches you. at my lvl...my genie is better at playing a cleric than most of the clerics ive seen. ive seen 1 cleric in 2x lvls that actually knew what he was doing. sorry to all the nooby clerics out there, but lets face it, you dont know how to roll. (that was way off topic) anyways...
    i dont care how much mana i use. im always covered

b:bye
    <<----I'm a total NooB and I'm not proud of it! b:cryb:cry

<<----DeadlySins will rule you all sooner or later b:coolb:victory
  • Dark_Fate - Harshlands
    Dark_Fate - Harshlands Posts: 968 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    take aim can be casted really quick if double clicked and gives more chi than a normal shot. take aim fully charged gives as same damage as deadly shot... in fact i use take aim more than deadly shot in pve and pvp
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    poisonoaks wrote: »
    Opener (Take Aim / Deadly Shot) > DoT Arrow (Visious Arrow / Serrated Arrow) > Knockback > Normal attacks till dead.

dot? why? 2x normal shot deal more dmg b:surrender (ok its weapon/gear depend how many time u need for 2shot)
  • Remivaughn - Raging Tide
    Remivaughn - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    take aim is an amazing opening skill, i advise fully leveling it up as soon as it comes up. At lvl 23 i had crits of 2200-2400 from it
  • TerminatorX - Lost City
    TerminatorX - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Take Aim's charge is a waste of time, where you should be half-way through killing by the time it opens the fight. Only use if in desperate need of Chi or afraid of taking damage.
    Red Truth. A conditional truth - Pole BMs are epic... as tanks.
    Blue Truth. A possible truth - Full Vit Pole BMs are epic at AoE.
    Golden Truth. The absolute truth - My Pole BM is the most epic on Lost City.
    He who masters truth, masters the world. Maybe. Showering daily helps too.
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Take Aim's charge is a waste of time, where you should be half-way through killing by the time it opens the fight. Only use if in desperate need of Chi or afraid of taking damage.

and mob half way to u........

its opener skill in pve, the reason: mob got less hp when he could reach u or sometimes 1shot with take aim.
  • TerminatorX - Lost City
    TerminatorX - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You're already wasting an incredible amount of time just charging the move, you'd kill faster overall if you grind without it. Take Aim provides safety but turns a 30 minute grind into something much longer. That's the trade-off.

What's the point of making an Archer just to kill slowly?
    Red Truth. A conditional truth - Pole BMs are epic... as tanks.
    Blue Truth. A possible truth - Full Vit Pole BMs are epic at AoE.
    Golden Truth. The absolute truth - My Pole BM is the most epic on Lost City.
    He who masters truth, masters the world. Maybe. Showering daily helps too.
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    You're already wasting an incredible amount of time just charging the move, you'd kill faster overall if you grind without it. Take Aim provides safety but turns a 30 minute grind into something much longer. That's the trade-off.

What's the point of making an Archer just to kill slowly?

ok just i sometimes like the saveing my mp/hp charm and waste +1sec(i eman to that in charging time u hit max 3sec and u hit around double depend ur luck so around 1,x sec wasted) :P

ok i dont spam in grind with it, just still i think its usefull,mainly against half hp mobs XD

(and i use more foten in pvp too than deadly shot)
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    Brutu - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    In groups the skill is rather useless, most people don't wish to wait for your take aim to charge and thus all your doing is wasting mana.

However solo it is always my opening shot as it does do considerable damage and that 3 second wait doesn't matter as your not in combat yet...

So my suggestion is only train it if you have the money and spirit.

As far as grinding/questing taking longer.... My take aim typically does double damage compared to my normal hits with the bow, so assuming I am firing normally it would take 2.9 seconds to match the 3.2 seconds of charge with the skill with the added safety of ensuring you kill the mob before they get to you.

Assuming you fight 50 mobs for a quest that means you lose about 15 seconds total off your quest time, that is not even counting what happens if the mob gets right up to your face and halves your damage.