PW have VIRUSES?!?!

Options
whatsanding
whatsanding Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
ive been having this recurrent problem with PW.

does n e one else have problems with PW correlating with Viruses on your computer?

if PW does have a virus problem PW creators should fix it! cuz this game is the shizznat

ive had viruses spaming pop up for scans warning me i have like 21 infected files or sutch and to down load its virus soft wear. -(
Post edited by whatsanding on

Comments

• Altros - Sanctuary
    Altros - Sanctuary Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    do u happen to torrent? because this is not a problem related to PW, actually this virus (i have experienced it as well) is a relatively new, but also pretty easy to get rid of if it fully infects ur comp.
    "No matter how dark the world is,
    light shall exist somewhere,
    even if only a small sliver,
    a light found among darkness,
    shines all the brighter." -unknown
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Your computer is obviously already compromised. PWI (the game software) does not have a virus in it if you downloaded it from the website. If however you downloaded it from some other website, you might have gotten a compromised version someone ****.

What you are seeing is BS popups trying to force you to install actual harmware that is loaded with trojans, viruses and other bad things that will make your computer die a sad and early death unless you pay the people who made it to 'fix' your computer.

As I said, the chances are, your computer is already infected with a virus/trojan or other malware and this is just a symptom of it. If you are using McAffee or Norton Antivirus, I can provide you with fully 130+ various viruses designed to kill them so they look like they are running, but are not.

If you have torrent software, or frequently download 'free' programs all the time, figure your comp is toast, f-disk, reformat, re-install windows, unplug the computer and throw it out the window.

~S
  • whatsanding
    edited March 2010
    Options
    yeah i thought it was easy to get rid of too, but if it happened once it can happen again possibly, this occurs mainly during updates to my belief. i downloded it direct from the PW site.

THE pw CREATORS SHOULD DO SUMTHING IF THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM! =( THEY ARE USING PEOPLES CREDIT CARDS ON THIS GAME O MY O MY
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    do u happen to torrent? because this is not a problem related to PW, actually this virus (i have experienced it as well) is a relatively new, but also pretty easy to get rid of if it fully infects ur comp.

This 'virus' is actually not new, it is as old as Antivirus2000 (which is what one variant of the harmware was called back in 2000), and it has since been given different names and ran under different guizes and is actually NOT easy to clean out once installed because one of the first things it does after being installed is install a host of OTHER trojans and viruses and harmware/malware onto your computer, making it a royal pita to clean properly.

~S
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    yeah i thought it was easy to get rid of too, but if it happened once it can happen again possibly, this occurs mainly during updates to my belief. i downloded it direct from the PW site.

THE pw CREATORS SHOULD DO SUMTHING IF THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM! =( THEY ARE USING PEOPLES CREDIT CARDS ON THIS GAME O MY O MY

I seriously doubt you downloaded it from the PW website. It is more likely that you noticed it, or the virus manufacturers are piggy backing you when you go to particular websites and making it appear your getting it from PWI's website.

~S
  • Sabre_ - Harshlands
    Sabre_ - Harshlands Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

Did you even read Saitada's post? If you have a virus chances are It's your own fault, not PWI's
  • whatsanding
    edited March 2010
    Options
    at this point my computer is running completely smoothly i used my microsoft security essencials to delte the virus, im sure its clear at this point. but if it persist then this virus thing can be a recurring problemo
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Did you even read Saitada's post? If you have a virus chances are It's your own fault, not PWI's

Considering that they are likely completely computer illiterate other than "I know how to turn it on and install stuff", I doubt they have even the slightest clue where they acquired their virus, or if they know, they don't want to admit they got it from going to some bot makers website, or off torrents, or have spent hours downloading and running/using pay for software with cracks (almost always infected with virus's).

~S
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i have a virus too b:sad but my scan is taking 24 hours QQ
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i have a virus too b:sad but my scan is taking 24 hours QQ

You should stop kissing random people then XD

~S
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    thx for the help saitada -.-
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Tonttuu - Heavens Tear
    Tonttuu - Heavens Tear Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You should stop kissing random people then XD

~S

lol b:cute
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    b:dirty I like kissing random people.

b:scorn Only cool girls in bars tho.
  • whatsanding
    edited March 2010
    Options
    well dont be rude now, whats the point...

n e ways im saying it has a correlation to pwi, there is the possibility that it was from sumwear else, but ive installed pw onto multiple computers and all those computer have gotten the same virus problem with the same type of virus, 3 computers to be exact.

and friends after having downloaded it for the first time to play the game with me, said the download gave them a virus, weather i was direct or torrent i dunno but, the download was from the official website. my brother did a scan on pwi today and it detected multiple viruses and he deleted these files, one of them being the pwi shortcut, at this point he isnt sure if he can play the game, and is considering quitting due to these viruses,<<< this is the real reason i created this thread to get the input of others.

is there a possibility that PWI can contain virsus? being a "free" game i'd say there is

but i hope i an wrong, or at the very least its only a problem that persist after a first time download.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    well dont be rude now, whats the point...

n e ways im saying it has a correlation to pwi, there is the possibility that it was from sumwear else, but ive installed pw onto multiple computers and all those computer have gotten the same virus problem with the same type of virus, 3 computers to be exact.

and friends after having downloaded it for the first time to play the game with me, said the download gave them a virus, weather i was direct or torrent i dunno but, the download was from the official website. my brother did a scan on pwi today and it detected multiple viruses and he deleted these files, one of them being the pwi shortcut, at this point he isnt sure if he can play the game, and is considering quitting due to these viruses,<<< this is the real reason i created this thread to get the input of others.

is there a possibility that PWI can contain virsus? being a "free" game i'd say there is

but i hope i an wrong, or at the very least its only a problem that persist after a first time download.

Actually what it sounds like is your Antivirus software is throwing False Positives. This is generally caused by programing that uses global hooks, and other methods of monitoring game play to ensure or help ensure that cheating the game doesn't take effect. Some Antivirus programs take exception to that type of activity because it resembles the same type of behavior virus's and trojans/keyloggers exhibit.

This is more than likely what you are seeing in regards to PWI, as for the other stuff, the popups saying you are infected by 20billion trojans and virus's and such, that is most likely caused by scripting in advertising on web pages you are/have visited injecting the popup onto your computer.

Don't click anything but the red X to close them. Get a good popup blocker, and stop running Internet Explorer.

I personally run AVG Full (paid for, but the free version is as good for real time virus prevention) and Comodo personal firewall (also free).

Both are very good pieces of software and while Comodo is a pita to configure if you don't know what your doing, I recommend them both strongly.

~S
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I only know Kaspersky always seem to make false positive( PDM.keylogger) for pwi on first indstall. happened for me on JD too.

but the download really doesnt have virusses btw.
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • whatsanding
    edited March 2010
    Options
    okay cool thanxs guys, since deleting the last virus i have not had any problems since, but i did an update today on pwi and am ganan give my computer a full scan

thanxs for all your help except for that one rude little boy.

goodnight
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    me don't use any virus scanners
    ._.'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • minecraftmanatee
    minecraftmanatee Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    do you actually need to pay for PWI?
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I liked how you pulled up an old thread and necro'd it with an irrelevant question.

Do you even know how to read?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If thats the Virus I think it is, it uses a 'Security flaw' in the 'Adobe Acrobat' program, for infiltration... and has so F'ing many varients out there now its ridiculous, some of them (MS~Security Essentials) can't detect during its scans, so be carful....b:thanks

But yes, its generally planted on torrent sites, aswell as a D*mn*d! Annoying! (Pop up) 'version' windows wise, that says your like the 2000 visiter or something, and that you've won a prize... But is actually a 'trap window' where if you press any of the buttons on the popup screen (-)(X) or otherwise, it installs it immediatly, so the only way to safely close it without activating it, is with your (Taskmanager) utility.....

But beware, some versions of it, still try to relog it again immediately! Once you bring up your (internet explorer) window again... So you may have to use (Taskmanager) multiple times to crash out your explorer, B4 it finally gets lost....
    b:surrender

LoL!! Necro or not, "if others read this thread, who've never had the misfortune to have faced that D*mned Annoying virus.." get the chance to read this thread alittle, atleast they'll have an idea about how to avert being a victim of it, LOLOLOL!!!! ^o^ !!!!

So for once, I'll forgive the person who dug this 1 up, LoLzzz......
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    This necro is funny. That is all.

plusone >:o
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    This necro is funny. That is all.

plusnegativeone >:o
    >:o
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    >:o

plusthree >:o!
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    plusthree >:o!

Plus.. er... um.... what comes after three again?
  • ZoracGallant - Raging Tide
    ZoracGallant - Raging Tide Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    necro

nb4close
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Want to solve alot of my problems? On your computer Click - Start - now click - Run - now type - cmd - now type - format c: - If you are using Windows Vista or 7 please be sure you run as administrator.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I liked how you pulled up an old thread and necro'd it with an irrelevant question.

Do you even know how to read?

You say that like it's surprising to find illiterate people on this forum. b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    What a necro. o_O
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.
  • Eccii - Raging Tide
    Eccii - Raging Tide Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    can't believe this is stil open b:laugh
    +1
    Retired on Barb-
    Currently playing mystic-
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2012
    Options
    can't believe this is stil open b:laugh
    +1

No kidding. Where the hell is Fuzzy, or Shelly, or any of the other mods? This should have been closed hours ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.