Tsunami Tsunami Please go away!

Options
Saitada - Sanctuary
Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Off-Topic Discussion
Tsunami Warning in Hawaii, Looks like my wife and I will be heading to high ground as we live right on the coast. It isn't a warning, they are saying that we will get hit by Tsunami waves tomorrow around about 11:20am Hawaii time.

One channel says 20 foot waves, another says 3-4 foot waves, We are on the North West side of the island so we are not going to catch the brunt of the waves when they hit but the South East side is gonna get hit.

Ya'll wish everyone on Hawaii Luck. Hopefully the waves won't be terribly bad and not a lot of damage will get done to us. I hope any of you who live in the Pacific Rim area are safe, or can get to some place that is safe.

~Saitada
Post edited by Saitada - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Golassic - Harshlands
    Golassic - Harshlands Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Tsunami Warning in Hawaii, Looks like my wife and I will be heading to high ground as we live right on the coast. It isn't a warning, they are saying that we will get hit by Tsunami waves tomorrow around about 11:20am Hawaii time.

One channel says 20 foot waves, another says 3-4 foot waves, We are on the North West side of the island so we are not going to catch the brunt of the waves when they hit but the South East side is gonna get hit.

Ya'll wish everyone on Hawaii Luck. Hopefully the waves won't be terribly bad and not a lot of damage will get done to us. I hope any of you who live in the Pacific Rim area are safe, or can get to some place that is safe.

~Saitada

WOW! b:surprised
    Useing ↑ in Forsaken World forum too

NightRage, WaffleChan, MistaBwanden, SoIar, WraithTanker, BeingHope, Zanyru won't be forgotten~!

RedsRose,Boogiepanda,NiightmareXz,Airyll u guys said everything that i wanned to say =] b:victory[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • haybails
    haybails Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I do wish all the residents (and tourists etc.) of Hawaii the best of luck but don't ignore the poor souls of Chile who are suffering considerably from the earthquake which has caused this Tsunami, which, we should also not forget, will hit other lands too. Others are enduring a huge amount of pain too.

Good luck and best wishes to all that this event has affected and will affect.
  • ChaoticTears - Harshlands
    ChaoticTears - Harshlands Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ouch.

Hope for all its not as bad as they make out and stay safe.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    haybails wrote: »
    I do wish all the residents (and tourists etc.) of Hawaii the best of luck but don't ignore the poor souls of Chile who are suffering considerably from the earthquake which has caused this Tsunami, which, we should also not forget, will hit other lands too. Others are enduring a huge amount of pain too.

Agreed. That is also why I wished people on the pacific rim where most of this wave is going to place people at risk. My Condo is in the Tsunami flood zone, so it is likely that if we do get some wave activity the lower levels of our condo complex will get flooded.

I haven't checked anything on Chile myself yet, news here is primarily concerned with Hawaii, but my understanding was that the death toll is already above 60 people and the damage is terrible. My wife and I feel for them and their pain and wish them all the best while we prepare to evacuate the coastal area.

~S
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    _Tsunami_ - Lost City Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    First place i saw your post i said "???"

I don't know you but i wish for you all best luck, for real.
  • Alexenokin - Lost City
    Alexenokin - Lost City Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    good luck to everyone out there b:victory

b:angry come back safely sai! just wouldnt be the same around here b:cry
    I have officially "won the game"... Actually, I decided it was time to leave.
    Joined sometime in March of 2009 - right after Dreamweaver opening.
    Retired on March 16, 2010... 1 year later...
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Don't assume you're safe. Water waves refract around obstacles like islands. Normally this causes a shadow zone with lesser waves on the side of the island opposite being hit, but the waves directly offshore from that point are even bigger than the side being hit. Depending on the exact geography, the waves in this interference zone could be a threat to shore (e.g. if another island could reflect them back).

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/waves.htm#reflection

Best of luck.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My goodness, Saitada's in trouble!
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Don't assume you're safe. Water waves refract around obstacles like islands. Normally this causes a shadow zone with lesser waves on the side of the island opposite being hit, but the waves directly offshore from that point are even bigger than the side being hit. Depending on the exact geography, the waves in this interference zone could be a threat to shore (e.g. if another island could reflect them back).

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/waves.htm#reflection

Best of luck.

Yeah, we are already preparing to evacuate. We plan on leaving here by 9:00am and going up to high ground that is well out of Tsunami range. We have a couple of neighbors w/o a car so we are packing our car full of neighbors. We are in a specific refraction zone where the waves tend to wash in a little further than other areas south of us (go figure).

Fortunately we are on the second floor so short of a building collapse, non of our stuff should suffer any damage but people on the first floor are probably going to be unhappy.

~S
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yeah, we are already preparing to evacuate. We plan on leaving here by 9:00am and going up to high ground that is well out of Tsunami range. We have a couple of neighbors w/o a car so we are packing our car full of neighbors. We are in a specific refraction zone where the waves tend to wash in a little further than other areas south of us (go figure).

Fortunately we are on the second floor so short of a building collapse, non of our stuff should suffer any damage but people on the first floor are probably going to be unhappy.

~S

Well, you're rich anyway, what with that company of yours that's pretty much running on auto. What's a few pieces of furniture or a 40" LCD TV to someone like you?
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Well, you're rich anyway, what with that company of yours that's pretty much running on auto. What's a few pieces of furniture or a 40" LCD TV to someone like you?

I have some things that have great sentimental value, as well as my wife's spiritual tools and items. TV's and other things like that are easily replaced, but some of those items can't be replaced, and while I am not concerned about replacing my stuff, there are a lot of people here on the island's that would find that to be a major financial crisis for them.

What I do find interesting is your tone and attitude about this. I might be an ****, and not generally care about people, but things like this are the type of things that people put their differences and indifference's aside and help one another over and with.

Your attitude strikes me as "oh it's Saitada, who cares, they deserve it for being an **** on the forums." When in fact it is not just Saitada, it is all of the coastal areas of the Hawaiian Islands and pacific rim. You may not give a damn about me, and to be honest, I couldn't give three shyts about you either, but at least give a damn about people who don't have my ability to recover easily from all this.

I know I will be helping people here regardless of my like or dislike for them. Thats what people do when this kind of thing happens.

Have a nice day.

~Saitada
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have some things that have great sentimental value, as well as my wife's spiritual tools and items. TV's and other things like that are easily replaced, but some of those items can't be replaced, and while I am not concerned about replacing my stuff, there are a lot of people here on the island's that would find that to be a major financial crisis for them.

I see.
    Your attitude strikes me as "oh it's Saitada, who cares, they deserve it for being an **** on the forums." When in fact it is not just Saitada, it is all of the coastal areas of the Hawaiian Islands and pacific rim. You may not give a damn about me, and to be honest, I couldn't give three shyts about you either, but at least give a damn about people who don't have my ability to recover easily from all this.

Oh, but maybe my points of view is different? For one, I live somewhere that does not have natural disasters and the most recent crisis caused by the nature is excess snow.

To me, things like this are, at most, a philosophical exercise. But yet again, that could be because I've never had to worry about disasters. Or it could be because I'm just a kid. Or, as you say, I could be a bloody nihilist.

In truth, most of the time that I view your posts, they are either of the troll kind, or the kind that make me see myself in them. An alikeness of thought. I also find it intriguing because of the vastly different backgrounds; from what I can tell, you're an adult who has had success in their life, whereas I am just a first year student at a university.

If anything, I would be horrified if, as unlikely as it is, someone posted on your account, making a topic about how you passed away. I don't like topics like that.

• Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I see.

Oh, but maybe my points of view is different? For one, I live somewhere that does not have natural disasters and the most recent crisis caused by the nature is excess snow.

To me, things like this are, at most, a philosophical exercise. But yet again, that could be because I've never had to worry about disasters. Or it could be because I'm just a kid. Or, as you say, I could be a bloody nihilist.

In truth, most of the time that I view your posts, they are either of the troll kind, or the kind that make me see myself in them. An alikeness of thought. I also find it intriguing because of the vastly different backgrounds; from what I can tell, you're an adult who has had success in their life, whereas I am just a first year student at a university.

If anything, I would be horrified if, as unlikely as it is, someone posted on your account, making a topic about how you passed away. I don't like topics like that.

Point taken. Sorry if I seemed a bit snippy.

~S

p.s. If anyone posts on my account saying I'm dead... They better hope I don't find them cause the only way that will happen is if this account gets **** or the GM's decide to play a cruel, evil trick.

*edit* Anyway, all that aside, I have to log off now, my neighbors and I are going to be working out how we are going to get those w/o transportation in the area to safe places. o/
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Good luck to you and the neighbors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • tripio
    tripio Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

lol saitada too much espectations, 1 hour ago the wave hit eastern island and wasnt considered as a tsunami, just a big wave, probably nothing happen there.

haybails thanx for your wishes, it was a 8.8 richter earthquake, many damage
    to old buildings, arround 80 deceased till now, 2 coast towns arrazed by a big wave,
    but you can say that even if this was bigger than haiti earthquake, the numbers are
    lower because this country is an earthquake zone, so we are really prepared for that.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My friend in Oahu was just telling me about this. He comes home from the army for two days and a tsunami hits, what luck b:surrender

Stay safe Sai.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver
    Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

~Saitada

Yeah I heard about that. And the earthquake in Chile. GL over where you are... Kinda worried for most of my family, who also lives on Hawaii. They also said that the state I live in is on potential tsunami watch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Note: No thats not me... I stole that from the interwebs b:chuckle
    BTW.... YOU ROCK FORSAKENX <3

I like to think of myself as a dog, I can be cute and cuddly but sniff people's butts and get away with it ><>

Warlock recruiting lvl 70+ on the Dreamweaver Server.
    PM an officer for an invite.

b:heartb:flowerb:faint
  • _BaMbOo - Dreamweaver
    _BaMbOo - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Due to it's large size and the fact that I don't understand it at all, I'm adding this "rogue tsunami" to the axis of evil. Attempts to contact the tsunami have been unsuccessful, and in the coming days we may have to pound it into submission with our military.
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Wishing you guys the best, Sai...Also hoping my friend and her family luck, as well. They live on Kauai, and my best friend works for a dog and cat breeder, so I'm thinking they're probably busy trying to avacute all the animals or something...Wish I could get a hold of someone, but I guess it's okay anyway...
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

Precisely. Good luck to the residents of hawaii. Get somewhere safe, and stay there until the tsunami is over.

As for the victims of chiles, I really hope the families are able to get through it. First it was haiti, and now it's chiles. :( I hope they find ways to put there lives back on "track" after tragic events like this.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Kiowa - Raging Tide
    Kiowa - Raging Tide Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

~Saitada

Good luck Saitada, I hope you and all the residents and people on Hawaii wil be ok after this dam tsunami.
    Native Pride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Strawberry for the awesome signature.
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yeah that quake in Chili. Hawaii is part of the USA right? Why the hell isn't the army sending choppers to get people out fo there? Lazy bastardsb:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EthikaII - Heavens Tear
    EthikaII - Heavens Tear Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    :( Good Luck and be safe
    Retired Sage.
    Moving to alts till they fix GBA boss ;(
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Just saw this. Best of luck Sai to you, your wife and friends. And to all Hawaians ofc. From reports i started looking through it seems things are pretty bad in Chile. As someone who has witnessed the worst an earthquake can do (1985) i think i can honestly say i have some understanding of what our brothers in Chile must be going through. And with things still broken in Haiti to top it off...

Fortunately it doesn't seem atm that there's any danger for the mainland. I was myself born in a city on the Mexican Pacific and have many friends and relatives living in coastal areas. Hope the US government really did learn valuable lessons in New Orleans, and that appropiate resources will be made available to those who need them. Even an evacuation on it's own can be disastrous if not adequately handled.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    God bless and keep you, and all in the earthquake and tsunami zones

[URL="[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/dlgac3.gif[/IMG]"]dlgac3.gif[/URL]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Be careful Saitada, and good luck. I'm watching it right now in CNN. I live in a coastal area as well so I can imagine the damage it could cause. Its amazing how sudden natural disasters can be and the impact it has on peoples lives. I hope your area is left untouched or with minimal damage, its good that you guys have evacuation plans.

Take care and lets have faith that everything will turn out ok. : )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Good luck Saitada. I understand how you feel. I'm from Chile and fortunately all my relatives are safe.

We were worried for mi big bro who was at night shift on the oil refinery near Vina del Mar and we couldn't contact him till late morning.

I just got power and internet back. However, there still some replicas goin' on, and they need to repair the electrical netwok, so Ill tell more later.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    FYI according to CNN the first wave just hit Hawaii, but they haven't said bout any heavy damage happened yet.

They''re still waiting for the big one though
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    b:shocked

My granpa is italian, but he went to Chile during the mass emigration that moved many italian toward the "2 Americhe"

He raised family there and my mother born in santiago de chile in 1959

my father too was born in Chile (coquimbo) and came here in italy just before the "golpe" that strikes more than 30yeas ago...

i got all my parents' relatives that lives in Chile, and just the day before yesterday my older uncle came back to italy where we all live...

i heard that the Chile earthquake was like 8.8richter which they compared as 1000times stronger than the Haiti ones that made huge disaster...

for what ive heard up till now there are like 300+ victims

since is impossible to get news that are specific i hope that every relative of my family is safe and i pray for everyone not to be beated down...

i dont know at all those relatives, ive never spoke to them and i dont even know their name, they are like stranger to me...

stragers like every person that is losing his life in this mess...

so i really wish best for you and your family cuz even if i dont know you, you may be my brother in another life...

take careb:worried
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Where your relatives live GohRaL ? If they still live in Coquimbo, there the quake was around 4 Richter, where no major damages and no tsunami alarm was raised, so they should be safe.

The last offical count is around 215 victims, 500 injured and less than 20 people reported missing in Talcahuano and Robisnon Crusoe island where a 15 meter wave washed all coastal towns. For a big disaster as is, most experts are possitive for the low human victims. Mostly old "adobe" buildings (buildings made of clay bricks) and less than a handfull of 5 yrd ol or newer buildings collapsed, and a few bridges and roads were heavily damaged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]